Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

9mm case lube?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hairtumor
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2010
    • 750

    9mm case lube?

    new to reloading, is it necessary to lube 9mm cases or is that for rifle cases only?
  • #2
    Gringo Bandito
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2006
    • 1835

    I always lube pistol and I have been using Hornady one shot. Works way better than the RCBS case lube I used 20 years ago.

    Comment

    • #3
      drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 2219

      You can lube them if you want but if you are using carbide dies, it is not necessary.

      That said, should you choose to lube them, I'd use something like Dillon's spray lube. I tried it once and didn't find it worth the trouble.
      NRA Life Member
      GOA Life Member
      USMC '71 - '78

      "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
      Edward Everett Hale

      Comment

      • #4
        hairtumor
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2010
        • 750

        Originally posted by drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
        You can lube them if you want but if you are using carbide dies, it is not necessary.

        That said, should you choose to lube them, I'd use something like Dillon's spray lube. I tried it once and didn't find it worth the trouble.
        I'll be using the Lee carbide dies. I guess I'll try it both ways and see which one I like better

        Comment

        • #5
          area51
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 715

          I use carbide dies and still use a light spray of one shot or dillon lube...
          They seem to run a lot smoother on my presses.
          Looking 4" Python 686/ Redhawks, Les Baer.... East Bay NorCal

          Comment

          • #6
            fullrearview
            Calguns Addict
            • Jan 2008
            • 9371

            Originally posted by hairtumor
            I'll be using the Lee carbide dies. I guess I'll try it both ways and see which one I like better
            I use the lee in .40 without lube and it works fine.
            "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

            Comment

            • #7
              DRAB_81
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2009
              • 2482

              I use Hornady One Shot on all my pistol cases, and I use Dillon carbide dies. It's cheap, easy to apply, makes the press run smoother, and one can lasts a REALLY long time.

              Comment

              • #8
                Bill Steele
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 5028

                As noted by others, with carbide dies it is not required.

                On the other hand, I use Hornaday One Shot exclusively when I load with my carbide dies. It greatly eases the operation, I have to believe it helps the brass as well, less drag on the brass as the sizing ring moves down the case.

                I use Dillon spray lube (basically liquid lanolin based lube) on rifle cases when F/L sizing in larger batches. I don't like it so much for pistol brass as I get more powder clinging to the case mouth when charging. With One Shot I get very little powder around the mouth of the case when setting the bullet.
                When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                Comment

                • #9
                  damndave
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 10858

                  If you use carbide pistol dies, you don't NEED to. But I do as it makes sizing super smooth. Hornady One Shot seems to work best for me.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    jwc
                    Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 453

                    Originally posted by DRAB_81
                    I use Hornady One Shot on all my pistol cases, and I use Dillon carbide dies. It's cheap, easy to apply, makes the press run smoother, and one can lasts a REALLY long time.
                    +1. One Shot makes pulling the handle much easier.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ExtremeX
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 7160

                      I use carbide dies and I don’t use lube for pistol loads.

                      I tried it in the past and while it does smooth up the operation, I decided just not to deal with it because it isnt nessaary.
                      ExtremeX

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Prophet
                        Member
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 200

                        I have never needed lube if using carbide dies. If the lube works for you then use it. I have a friend using the lee carbide dies for 9mm, and I know he does not use case lube.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          GeoffLinder
                          Senior Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 2425

                          I loaded straightwall pistol cases without lube in carbide dies for a long time. Tried using lube for a few years, now I am back to no lube. No negatives on lube, just decided to stop because of the extra step. Either way is fine as long as you have carbide dies and use something like Dillon or Hornady. I would not run lubes like oils or the the goopy RCBS lube for pistol cases without cleaning it off before priming and charging. With Hornady or Dillon lubes you are good to go without cleaning lube off, just make sure to use very little, not much is needed. I would put several hundred cases in a cut down cardboard box, give them a very light spritz and then shake them around a bit. You don't need much at all this way.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            hairtumor
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2010
                            • 750

                            Good info, thanks.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Swagman00
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 4149

                              The smaller the brass, the less likely you need any case lube. X2 on anything nickel plated.

                              One caveat to that though. Smaller bottleneck rifle brass is my biggest nemesis (.223, .22-250, .204 Ruger etc.) as the neck sticks hard during resizing. The rim separates more often then most other rounds when removing it from the die. I usually have to cover the the whole shell if I want it back out one piece with a straight rim.
                              Anyway...here's a dearth of reasoning to ponder: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Guns

                              Originally posted by movie zombie
                              and you guys wonder why women are fed up with bad behavior?!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1