Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading service in Los Angeles

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ar15barrels
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 57175

    Originally posted by AlliedArmory
    I believe you would need a Type 06 FFL? Not quite sure, but I assume so.

    06ffl is for a manufacturer of ammunition.
    There is no ffl required to load your own ammo.
    There should not be any ffl requirements to teach people to reload or to rent them my tools.
    This is very much like the "CNC build party" concept where the user pushes the green button and "makes"his own gun.
    In this case, the user pulls the handle on the press for each operation to "make" his own ammo.

    I would not be loading ammo for them.
    The individuals would all do their own loading.
    Randall Rausch

    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

    Comment

    • #17
      NorCalNative
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2011
      • 563

      Originally posted by ar15barrels
      Perhaps I would only offer lessons and not let people work unattended.
      I see some CraigsList ads by a guy in Sacramento that does this sort of thing. You might check out what he's offering and his model. I don't know him, have just seen the posts...

      Comment

      • #18
        Darryl Licht
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Dec 2012
        • 2259

        As long as you CYA with a complete waiver similar to those at most ranges, I'd think you'd be OK! <-- But lawyers are snakes and seek out loopholes, so have an attorney look over any waiver to make sure there are no outs for the ID10Ts out there.

        If you werent so far away from me, I'd use your service as I have approx 1500 rds of 9mm brass and am seriously looking at reloading in the near future! But I want to try it out before I go spend the $ on a dillion or similar setup!

        How many rds could one reload in 2 hours if a newbie? Im good with tools and a very quick learner.
        "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
        --Thomas Jefferson
        Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

        Comment

        • #19
          OCD41911
          Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 300

          Good advise is priceless. Spend the money and time with legal counsel & insurance agent who both know the industry. It will be worth every penny.

          Comment

          • #20
            BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2009
            • 7079

            Originally posted by Darryl Licht
            As long as you CYA with a complete waiver similar to those at most ranges, I'd think you'd be OK! <-- But lawyers are snakes and seek out loopholes, so have an attorney look over any waiver to make sure there are no outs for the ID10Ts out there.

            If you werent so far away from me, I'd use your service as I have approx 1500 rds of 9mm brass and am seriously looking at reloading in the near future! But I want to try it out before I go spend the $ on a dillion or similar setup!

            How many rds could one reload in 2 hours if a newbie? Im good with tools and a very quick learner.

            If you include setup time on the press probably about 500 to 700 rounds in two hours.

            For example my LNL is currently set up for .357 mag. So to do 9 mm there would be set up time.

            I will be teaching someone to load .40 today or tomorrow. Just for hoots I will time the first 2 hours.

            Oh , not to be a kill joy your 1500 brass is only reloadable if you have primers, powder and bullets. So start acquiring those items. It took the guy I am teaching a month and a half to find all his components the way things are today.
            "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

            Comment

            • #21
              Darryl Licht
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              • Dec 2012
              • 2259

              Originally posted by BigBronco
              ...Oh , not to be a kill joy your 1500 brass is only reloadable if you have primers, powder and bullets. So start acquiring those items. It took the guy I am teaching a month and a half to find all his components the way things are today.
              I fully understand that! However, just as there is no ammo to be found... I cannot find any 9mm projectiles, small pistol primers, or powder! I will acquire those when I can find... if I have spare $!

              One newb question, er two... approx how many 9mm loads can I do with 1 lb of powder? <-- trying to estimate cost per 9mm bullet using my brass.

              Do most reloaders clean their brass just before loading, or clean and then store in a ziplock or other "airtight" container for future reloading?
              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one.
              --Thomas Jefferson
              Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. --Groucho Marx

              Comment

              • #22
                CSACANNONEER
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Dec 2006
                • 44094

                I will be a NRA certified instructor for reloading both metalic cartridges and shotshells within the next few weeks. If your shop area is large enough to hold classes, maybe we can work something out. I could also include a class on casting, lubing and sizing projectiles. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in teaming up.
                NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                Utah CCW Instructor


                Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                sigpic
                CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                KM6WLV

                Comment

                • #23
                  HK Dave
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2008
                  • 5737

                  I'd be interested in attending a match ammo class. . Thus far my learning has been difficult. Got to the point I was ready to load powder and projectile when I realized I did not know I needed bushings to go with my redding resizing die. Guess I shouldn't have primed all those cases.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    SamSung
                    Member
                    • Jul 2010
                    • 178

                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    I have an idea and wanted to see if there would be interest enough for me to continue with the idea...

                    How many would be interested in renting reloading press time in my shop?
                    Say it was $20 per half hour with my assistance and then $10 per half hour unassisted after that.
                    I help teach you what you need to do and then set you loose on your own.
                    This would be a fully equipped single stage reloading setup including all necessary tools to process brass and load ammo.
                    It would generally take a couple visits as you would need to tumble brass before you start loading it.
                    Let's say it is $5 per tumbler load for brass tumbling and you can just drop that off anytime at least a day prior to when you want to make an appointment to use the reloading room.
                    I'll have the brass tumbled when your are ready to load.
                    I have dies for most common calibers and would be willing to buy dies and tooling as needed if there were enough requests.

                    My idea of this is to help out the guys that just need 20-40 rounds of lead free hunting ammo or want to load their own match ammo.
                    It would obviously be a really cheap way to see if reloading is something you want to get into, sorta a try-before-you-buy option.
                    You would need to have your own cases obviously and I recommend bringing the rifle along on your loading day so we can check that the ammo fits the chamber properly.
                    I can supply powder and primers as needed to people that are loading ammo in my shop or you can bring your own.
                    You would be responsible for replacing any tooling that you damage, but that is really rare with proper instruction on how it all works.

                    What say ye?
                    So, when will this start? I'll be the 1st customer.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      ar15barrels
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 57175

                      Originally posted by Darryl Licht
                      One newb question, er two... approx how many 9mm loads can I do with 1 lb of powder? <-- trying to estimate cost per 9mm bullet using my brass.

                      Do most reloaders clean their brass just before loading, or clean and then store in a ziplock or other "airtight" container for future reloading?
                      There are 7000 grains in a pound.
                      If you are running 3.5gr per charge, then you get 2000 rounds per pound.
                      If you are running 7gr per charge, you would only get 1000 rounds per pound.
                      There is no finite answer to your question as your question does not specify the charge weight of your 9mm load.

                      I clean my brass ahead of time and store it in open 5 gallon buckets.
                      Randall Rausch

                      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ar15barrels
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 57175

                        Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                        I will be a NRA certified instructor for reloading both metalic cartridges and shotshells within the next few weeks. If your shop area is large enough to hold classes, maybe we can work something out. I could also include a class on casting, lubing and sizing projectiles. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in teaming up.
                        I'm more interested in one-on-one instruction.
                        My space will not fit multiple people at presses.
                        Randall Rausch

                        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1