Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Classic Lee Loader

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Dutch3
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Oct 2010
    • 14181

    I have a classic loader for .308 and would not be without it, even though most of my loading is done on a press.

    That being said, I have experienced a few primer detonations while seating them. Insufficient cleanup of mil crimped brass - my fault. Not a catastrophic event by any means, but it does get your attention.
    Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

    Comment

    • #32
      ninjastar310
      Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 166

      So as far as quality ammo between the classic lee loader and a press, is their a major difference?

      Comment

      • #33
        short circuit
        Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 101

        I use the Lee Loader for 223 (bolt gun) and a RCBS 505 powder scale to do my custom target rounds. I can shoot 6 rounds into a single ragged hole at 100 yards I can cover with a dime (if I do my part).

        I use a turret press to turn out plinking rounds and the lee loader when I travel or camp out.

        Comment

        • #34
          short circuit
          Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 101

          I use the Lee Loader for 223 (bolt gun) and a RCBS 505 powder scale to do my custom target rounds. I can shoot 6 rounds into a single ragged hole at 100 yards I can cover with a dime (if I do my part).

          I use a turret press to turn out plinking rounds and the lee loader when I travel or camp out.

          Over all I think it is a good product and holds up very well (several hundred rounds so far)

          Some times it is just fun to wack the mole

          I plan to get one for 9mm Luger (with the optional flaring tool) so I can make loads in the field.

          Comment

          • #35
            stand125
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2010
            • 1451

            Originally posted by short circuit
            I use the Lee Loader for 223 (bolt gun) and
            I plan to get one for 9mm Luger (with the optional flaring tool) so I can make loads in the field.
            I have a bunch of lee classic loaders and the only issue is that they tend to size a little large so FMJ bullets ( pistol ) can have an issue with set back in semi autos. They work awesome with lead bullets which are usually a little bigger than FMJ bullets.
            CALGUNS DICTIONARY "FLIER": when a shooter wants to turn a 1 inch group to a half inch group because he flinched.

            Comment

            • #36
              ninjastar310
              Member
              • Nov 2010
              • 166

              Originally posted by stand125
              I have a bunch of lee classic loaders and the only issue is that they tend to size a little large so FMJ bullets ( pistol ) can have an issue with set back in semi autos. They work awesome with lead bullets which are usually a little bigger than FMJ bullets.
              Now is that so, thats actually going to be my next question is that what is the main difference between using lead vs copper bullets? And so their isnt really a difference between a bullet coming from a press than the classic lee loader?

              Comment

              • #37
                stilly
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2009
                • 10685

                These are great to take to the range and using ONE piece of brass see how long you can keep reloading it. Kinda like how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop.

                I read on the Lee site though that larger calibers take more force so best to stick with smaller calibers like 9mm. I think .45 might need a lot of force.

                Get one though just to develop loads at the range. That is really the only reason to have one, load development that is portable.
                7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                Comment

                • #38
                  scrat
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 1516

                  Lets Answer some Questions

                  Do you need to trim the cases........ Probably not. Because the lee loader only neck sizes the cases.

                  Neck sizing the cases mean the back half has not been sized. However if shooting out of the same rifle then its fine. You just need to see if the cases still fit in the magazine. As the cases will have been fire formed to your rifle and will fit perfectly. Now if you were full length sizing the rounds then you would need to check and trim the cases as they stretch when full length sizing.

                  Is it time consuming.

                  Yes it is. Not only is it time consuming however I have found that if you try to do several hundred of them your hands will start to hurt from the wacking. It just happens.

                  With that said I still have about 8 of them for every caliber and I still use them. However nothing beats a press. If your on a budget i would recommend saving your cases for one then saving up for the lee anniversary kit. It has everything you need minus dies, primer, powder, bullets. You can get the items as you go. Still might want to try the lee loader. Just be warned its slow and your limited to what the loading specs are for the dipper you are given. If you still want to go lee loader. Get yourself a powder scale. The lee powder scales are pretty good as you may want to try different loads but cant because you only have the dipper the lee loader came with. Also i would highly recommend a hand primer of some sort. Not only will this speed up your priming but its a lot safer. I have had a lot of primers go off using the lee loader. it does not do any harm just scares the bejesus out of you.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    ninjastar310
                    Member
                    • Nov 2010
                    • 166

                    Originally posted by scrat
                    Do you need to trim the cases........ Probably not. Because the lee loader only neck sizes the cases.

                    Neck sizing the cases mean the back half has not been sized. However if shooting out of the same rifle then its fine. You just need to see if the cases still fit in the magazine. As the cases will have been fire formed to your rifle and will fit perfectly. Now if you were full length sizing the rounds then you would need to check and trim the cases as they stretch when full length sizing.

                    Is it time consuming.

                    Yes it is. Not only is it time consuming however I have found that if you try to do several hundred of them your hands will start to hurt from the wacking. It just happens.

                    With that said I still have about 8 of them for every caliber and I still use them. However nothing beats a press. If your on a budget i would recommend saving your cases for one then saving up for the lee anniversary kit. It has everything you need minus dies, primer, powder, bullets. You can get the items as you go. Still might want to try the lee loader. Just be warned its slow and your limited to what the loading specs are for the dipper you are given. If you still want to go lee loader. Get yourself a powder scale. The lee powder scales are pretty good as you may want to try different loads but cant because you only have the dipper the lee loader came with. Also i would highly recommend a hand primer of some sort. Not only will this speed up your priming but its a lot safer. I have had a lot of primers go off using the lee loader. it does not do any harm just scares the bejesus out of you.
                    So their is no need to trim stright wall bullets and for a rifle if the round is fired through you guns, but what if its brass from the range? And the only thing im just concered of is the quality of ammo I get from the lee loader vs a press and if its the same quality just time consuming and a workout to load then I might as well go for the lee loader because on my spare time I just watch movies so why not load ammo while watching.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      morrow
                      Member
                      • Dec 2011
                      • 377

                      Do yourself a favor and get a single stage instead. They're not that much more expensive, especially if you get one used.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Capt.Dunsel
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2011
                        • 1199

                        If your wanting or needing to start on the cheap , look into the Lee Hand Press. I use mine in front of the TV for doing the mundane , time consuming chores.

                        They use standard dies , fits in a box the size of a shoe box , and give you plenty of umphh to do cases up to 458 Win Mag ( have done them ).
                        Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

                        Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

                        Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          stilly
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 10685

                          Originally posted by morrow
                          Do yourself a favor and get a single stage instead. They're not that much more expensive, especially if you get one used.
                          Yeah but when you drill holes and mount it to the tables at the range the owners frown at you.
                          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            zfields
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Aug 2010
                            • 13658

                            Originally posted by stilly
                            Yeah but when you drill holes and mount it to the tables at the range the owners frown at you.
                            Mount it to a board, then clamp it. That's how my presses are set up at home.

                            Sent from my Incredible 2
                            Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

                            10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              ninjastar310
                              Member
                              • Nov 2010
                              • 166

                              Originally posted by morrow
                              Do yourself a favor and get a single stage instead. They're not that much more expensive, especially if you get one used.
                              Which press would you recommend and also whats the best place to find a reloading kit/press(like what website)? Because theirs barely anyone here selling their reloading equipment.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                the led farmer
                                Member
                                • May 2011
                                • 194

                                Lee classic turret and never ever look back if your going to get a press

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1