Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

When to change cleaning media?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • philc
    Member
    • Mar 2011
    • 480

    When to change cleaning media?

    My brass isn't as shiney as it used to be. Its clean, but they have a dull finish and they look like they have dust all over them. Are these signs that it is time to change media? I' have used the same (I think it was Corn) media about for about 20 cleaning sessions with 1 hour per session...
    United Sportsmen Range Safety Officer
    (Volunteer)
  • #2
    grant22
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 625

    When it takes substantially longer to clean the brass and when the corn cob is dark, it's time to replace it.
    Reloaders: Stay safe, even the things you don't see may bite you. Read more here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=495909

    Comment

    • #3
      Bill Steele
      Calguns Addict
      • Sep 2010
      • 5028

      Originally posted by grant22
      When it takes substantially longer to clean the brass and when the corn cob is dark, it's time to replace it.
      +1 agree.
      When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

      Comment

      • #4
        Leon75x55
        Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 272

        Did you add brass polish?

        Comment

        • #5
          ireload
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 2589

          I've used cleaning media 2 to 3 years before I change them. I have two kinds. One for the dirty brass and one after I resize/lube removal. Both media I put Nu Polish car wax. I use crushed walnut.

          Comment

          • #6
            wtkaiser
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2011
            • 660

            I read the Lyman catalog on this just the pther day, and they say 10-15 batches of cases and it's time to refresh the media. Of course, they want to sell media. But that's their take on this.

            Comment

            • #7
              chesterthehero
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2010
              • 2070

              ive been using the same media for about a year.. i polish brass 2-3 times a month.. i have no idea if my brass is as shinny as it once would get.. i left my tumbler running for about a week once and that was very very shinny.. since then i put a twist timer on my tumbler.. i give it a twist or two and call it good enough.. ive been thinking about changing it though just cuz it feels like i should..
              Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

              who wants a fishtank?

              Comment

              • #8
                Divernhunter
                Calguns Addict
                • May 2010
                • 8753

                You can avoid the dust problem by cutting dryer sheets into quarters and throw a couple in with each batch. Replace them each batch. If you are having dust troubles now throw a few extras in for a few batches.

                I also use Dillon(or Lyman) additive in mine to get more shine/life from the media. I use walnut media.
                A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                Comment

                • #9
                  chknlyps2
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 2191

                  Originally posted by Divernhunter
                  You can avoid the dust problem by cutting dryer sheets into quarters and throw a couple in with each batch. Replace them each batch. If you are having dust troubles now throw a few extras in for a few batches.

                  I also use Dillon(or Lyman) additive in mine to get more shine/life from the media. I use walnut media.
                  I use used dryer sheets cut into quarters, cuts way down on the dust and the media stays way cleaner.
                  Wanted: Spent Berdan primed Yugo 7.62x39 & 7.5x55 GP11 Swiss brass

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    grant22
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2011
                    • 625

                    Originally posted by ireload
                    I've used cleaning media 2 to 3 years before I change them. I have two kinds. One for the dirty brass and one after I resize/lube removal. Both media I put Nu Polish car wax. I use crushed walnut.
                    I like this idea. 2nd vibrator, here I come.
                    Reloaders: Stay safe, even the things you don't see may bite you. Read more here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=495909

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      xfer42
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 709

                      Yeah, its time to change it. You can rinse it, but it will take about a week to dry.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Munk
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2010
                        • 2124

                        Originally posted by grant22
                        I like this idea. 2nd vibrator, here I come.
                        Or you can use a large bucket for each batch of media. That's how I do it.

                        I've got my "dark" media, which is just excessively used, this gets the worst of the carbon and junk off, then I've got my cleaner media that I use to shine things up. When the dark is too far gone, I toss it, and downgrade the "clean" media to dark usage, and get a new batch of clean prepped and ready to go.

                        All use the same tumbler. The only reason I'd even need another tumbler is if I'd want to increase my tumbling capacity, but since mine can already handle 300 .30-06 cases, which is more than I need, I have no reason to.
                        Originally posted by greasemonkey
                        1911's instill fairy dust in the bullets, making them more deadly.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Don Edmondson
                          Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 377

                          I use 1/4 paper towel's keeps the dust down plus cheeper Don

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Divernhunter
                            Calguns Addict
                            • May 2010
                            • 8753

                            But then you do not get the spring fresh smell like with dryer sheets..............
                            A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                            NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                            SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              wtkaiser
                              Senior Member
                              • Oct 2011
                              • 660

                              ...and your brass is more prone to wrinkles

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1