Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.308 1st time fail...help please

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    30Cal
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2006
    • 1487

    If they're shorter than the chamber and they won't fit, then you need an SB die. Some people will claim that the Dillon FL die is the same, but it's not. I know that for a fact.

    Comment

    • #17
      G-forceJunkie
      Calguns Addict
      • Jul 2010
      • 6478

      The key points have been made:
      1) Why are you crimping match bullets that don't have a Cannelure?
      2) load to 2.800 for reliable function. Its already jumping alot, .010" less wont matter.
      3) Size the brass more. Set up your press so it is touching the shell holder, then give it another 1/8 or 1/4 turn. You want that sucker to really size down all the way. Depending on how fat the base of your brass is after firing, you may need to use "small base" dies.
      4)Check your sized brass after sizing in the chamber, but before reloading. Then try again after loading. Find out if your problem is the sizing, or if your deforming the case upon reloading. Do this by removing the upper (and firing pin if you want) and slide the carrier home by hand. The bolt should rotate closed with no pressure (other then typical drag from friction.) If you have to force it, its too tight.
      5) Is your chamber clean? A match chamber in aan autoloader need to be kept really clean.

      Comment

      • #18
        Fyathyrio
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2009
        • 1082

        Originally posted by mudshark
        Looks like you need to bump the shoulder back a bit. Do you have a drop in case gauge?
        They drop in just fine...but I can bump it back a couple more maybe. I'm already at 0.004" from fire formed size. Maybe I'm just lucky and it's a tight chamber.
        "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
        "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
        There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
        Originally posted by James Earl Jones
        The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

        Comment

        • #19
          Gunsrruss
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2006
          • 1488

          Good advice here

          Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
          The key points have been made:
          1) Why are you crimping match bullets that don't have a Cannelure?
          2) load to 2.800 for reliable function. Its already jumping alot, .010" less wont matter.
          3) Size the brass more. Set up your press so it is touching the shell holder, then give it another 1/8 or 1/4 turn. You want that sucker to really size down all the way. Depending on how fat the base of your brass is after firing, you may need to use "small base" dies.
          4)Check your sized brass after sizing in the chamber, but before reloading. Then try again after loading. Find out if your problem is the sizing, or if your deforming the case upon reloading. Do this by removing the upper (and firing pin if you want) and slide the carrier home by hand. The bolt should rotate closed with no pressure (other then typical drag from friction.) If you have to force it, its too tight.
          5) Is your chamber clean? A match chamber in aan autoloader need to be kept really clean.
          You need the small base dies and you need to turn down that die the 1/4 to 1/2 turn after the die hits the shell plate. I pulled down a couple thousand rounds before I learned this
          I won't be wronged
          I won't be insulted
          And I won't be laid a hand on.
          I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

          Comment

          • #20
            Fyathyrio
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 1082

            Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
            The key points have been made:
            1) Why are you crimping match bullets that don't have a Cannelure?
            I thought this was required for AR actions to prevent bullet setback...am I wrong?

            2) load to 2.800 for reliable function. Its already jumping alot, .010" less wont matter.
            Yup, hopefully that's the main prob as it's an easy fix.

            3) Size the brass more. Set up your press so it is touching the shell holder, then give it another 1/8 or 1/4 turn. You want that sucker to really size down all the way. Depending on how fat the base of your brass is after firing, you may need to use "small base" dies.
            I'll try this tomorrow also, I was trying to minimize how much the brass was worked, I set the die IAW Dillon instructions and it's not touching the shell holder, so there's plenty more adjustment here. If it still won't chamber, which brand small base die do you recommend?

            4)Check your sized brass after sizing in the chamber, but before reloading. Then try again after loading. Find out if your problem is the sizing, or if your deforming the case upon reloading. Do this by removing the upper (and firing pin if you want) and slide the carrier home by hand. The bolt should rotate closed with no pressure (other then typical drag from friction.) If you have to force it, its too tight.
            I'll do this also in the morn with a couple dummy rounds...I'll go through the tips one at a time to find the culprit.

            5) Is your chamber clean? A match chamber in aan autoloader need to be kept really clean.
            The chamber wasn't fresh, maybe 60 rnds, I'll make sure it's freshly cleaned before next trip.
            Thanks again! I'll update once I find the problem(s) and report back so others hopefully won't feel my pain.
            "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
            "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
            There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
            Originally posted by James Earl Jones
            The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

            Comment

            • #21
              G-forceJunkie
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2010
              • 6478

              You don't crimp bullets that are not designed for it. It will deform them and hurt accuracy. You just need to size the necks so you have enough neck tension to keep them from setting back. I use Redding type S match dies because you can set the neck tension with different diameter neck bushings. Every brand of brass has a different neck wall thickness, so you will need to buy several to fine tune the neck size with whatever brass you are using. Size the neck down so the I.D. is several thousandth of an inch smaller than your bullets. .001 to .002 is typical with bolt guns, semis you probably want to go a bit tighter (but i don't know exactaly, I dont load match ammo for gas guns.) Measure the expander ball in your dillion dies, its probably around .306" One thing you havent mentiond, is what barrel/chamber you have. Is it a tight match chamber? Don't worry about "minimizing working the brass" with an autoloader, its going to beat the brass up anyways. You probably will get half as many loading before they are junk than you would with a bolt gun. Reliability is key, does it matter if you get 8 instead 4 loads per brass if it doesnt function? Good luck.

              Comment

              • #22
                EL_NinO619
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2010
                • 1519

                Originally posted by G-forceJunkie
                You don't crimp bullets that are not designed for it. It will deform them and hurt accuracy. You just need to size the necks so you have enough neck tension to keep them from setting back. I use Redding type S match dies because you can set the neck tension with different diameter neck bushings. Every brand of brass has a different neck wall thickness, so you will need to buy several to fine tune the neck size with whatever brass you are using. Size the neck down so the I.D. is several thousandth of an inch smaller than your bullets. .001 to .002 is typical with bolt guns, semis you probably want to go a bit tighter (but i don't know exactaly, I dont load match ammo for gas guns.) Measure the expander ball in your dillion dies, its probably around .306" One thing you havent mentiond, is what barrel/chamber you have. Is it a tight match chamber? Don't worry about "minimizing working the brass" with an autoloader, its going to beat the brass up anyways. You probably will get half as many loading before they are junk than you would with a bolt gun. Reliability is key, does it matter if you get 8 instead 4 loads per brass if it doesnt function? Good luck.

                I agree with you but not 100%, you can hurt accuracy when you over crimp. But with a light crimp and a Auto loader I see no problem, its safer to have a little crimp than the possibility of set back. With a AR platform I don't see him reaching Bolt action accuracy. So do a light Crimp.

                Also OP you might wanna try RCBS small base die..
                se carga el diablo de la pistola...
                .223, .25acp, 25-20win, 9mm, 38spl/.357, 10mm .308, 8mm M, 7mm Rem Mag, 45acp, .475 Wildey mag
                On 2 Hornady LnL AP & Dillon Super 1050

                Comment

                • #23
                  robert101
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 1997

                  It seems you have a tight chamber. Here are my few notes on 308 loading for my DPMS TAC20:
                  1. Keep round length less than 2.80. I typically don't load longer than 2.75".
                  2. Full length resize. I usually turn the die to 1/8 turn below bottom out of die and shell holder.
                  3. Keep neck size to about .340. Some factory rounds are acutally less than this number.
                  4. I don't crimp and seat bullet in same operation. I do apply a very light crimp after bullet seating. I do mean light as I believe that only removing the bell is better than crimping a non-cannalure bullet.

                  You can slightly decrease your OAL in your prior loaded ammo if you haven't crimped to heavy. Look at the bullet to make sure you haven't deformed it too much.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Fyathyrio
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 1082

                    Well, it's been a good morning playing with gun stuff with my morning coffee. I've also learned a lot and should be able to solve my problem.

                    First, I tried loading sized unloaded brass, and it seemed to go in OK. Then I tried the loaded rounds and they were still a little tight with a clean weapon. I seated the bullets down to 2.791 OAL and they fed better. After doing that I tried the marker trick and I did not see any clear areas where the marker was rubbed off, and the entire shoulder area seemed to have seated in the chamber. Additionally there are no marks on the body, so the brass was properly sized for my weapon/chamber, but with no room for error. Finally, I pulled one of the rounds that I had seated deeper, there's no ring on the bullet from the initial crimp, and the seating did not scrape any copper off. Only visible marks are the light striations from seating.

                    The only issue I've not been able to resolve is what style chamber I have. The guys at JD Machine are all off at a gun show in AZ this weekend. I'll find out Monday if it's a match chamber or not.

                    What I've learned...
                    OAL is important!
                    My sizing method placed the brass in the middle of the go/no go steps on the case gauge, looks like I need to bump the shoulder a bit more to get reliability. These would be perfect if this was for a bolt gun.
                    My light crimp is light.
                    Playing with guns and reloading stuff is fun!
                    CalGuns is awesome, thanks for all the help!

                    So, it appears that I'll at least be able to seat these a bit deeper and fire them, which sounds like a lot more fun then taking them apart.
                    "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
                    "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
                    There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
                    Originally posted by James Earl Jones
                    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      problemchild
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 6959

                      Do yourself one HUGE favor and buy a JP case gauge.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Gunsrruss
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 1488

                        Die

                        RCBS small base die. Of course there will be those who will say it ain't so. Trust me I pulled down rounds until I was smoking mad, but I learned my lesson. Don't worry about the brass being over worked. I full length the brass each time. You will get between 4-6 reloads before it starts to come apart. Yes, you will need a case gauge also. I have Wilson.
                        I won't be wronged
                        I won't be insulted
                        And I won't be laid a hand on.
                        I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....John Wayne

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Fyathyrio
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 1082

                          Originally posted by problemchild
                          Do yourself one HUGE favor and buy a JP case gauge.

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhgWqrvdzrU
                          Looks like it works and reads same as my Dillon case gauge...what's the difference?

                          Gunsrruss, thanks for the die recommendation, I'll go that route if adjusting my die further down doesn't work out.
                          "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
                          "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
                          There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
                          Originally posted by James Earl Jones
                          The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            gau17
                            Senior Member
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 846

                            Looking at your picture, make sure you are seating your primers below the flush line. You dont want to risk having a slam fire.

                            It might just be the angle on the picture. Just making sure.
                            Semper Fi

                            IYAOYAS

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              huckberry668
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2007
                              • 1502

                              I just notice there are shiny rings in the middle of the necks and 1/4" below the shoulders of the reloaded rounds. I believe that's where it's over sized and come in contact with the chamber preventing it from chambering.

                              use a dial caliper and measure the diameter of the shiny rings and compare to factory rounds. I'm betting if you blacken the rounds entirely and try loading them again those are the areas contacting.

                              Do these reloaded rounds chamber in other 308 guns? what kind & condition of sizing die are you using?
                              GCC
                              NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
                              Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Fyathyrio
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 1082

                                The rings on the body and neck are from the trimming process where the Possum Hollow trimmer rubbed the case.

                                I don't have any other .308 guns to try these in, but I'm willing to accept donations! I'm using a brand new Dillon die set, cases were individually lubed with Imperial Sizing Die Wax to ensure smooth operation.
                                "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
                                "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
                                There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
                                Originally posted by James Earl Jones
                                The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1