Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

.308 1st time fail...help please

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Fyathyrio
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 1082

    .308 1st time fail...help please

    I recently loaded my first ever batch of .308 to fire from my 20" AR-10 style rifle. The rifle reliably feeds and fires WWB 7.62 147 gr FMJ with decent accuracy from Magpul PMags, but I had many FTF problems with these rounds in the past with metal C Mags. Once fired brass from my rifle was carefully fully sized, trimmed and checked with calipers, a Hornady headspace gauge and a Dillon case gauge. Each powder charge was measured by hand with a Hornady powder drop, trickled up to correct amount, and verified with a Dillon beam scale. Bullets were seated and crimped using Dillon dies in an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. The rounds OAL were all within a couple thousands of an inch using Hornady bullet comparator, with a little more variance in COAL due to bullet shape. The rounds reliably loaded into a magazine. I'm reasonably positive that all steps were performed correctly and these are good rounds as far as that goes. The only QA check I did not do at home was to chamber a round as I didn't think an ND slam fire would be a good thing inside my garage should that occur, but they did fit the chamber when dropped into the disassembled rifle.

    Components...
    WCC 09 w/ NATO cross once fired brass
    Hornady 168 gr BTHP
    OAL 2.81" (Max IAW Hornady 7th)
    Varget 43gr to 45gr in .5gr steps (Source: Hornady 7th & Lyman 49th.)
    Wolf LRP

    Unfortunately the one check I couldn't do at home is the one I needed...they do not chamber. I purposefully chose to load them at max length to get a little closer to the lands and to minimize possible pressure issues with new loads. Lesson learned...make a few dummy rounds and verify they will reliably feed from the mag prior to making a batch!

    Upon my return home and reviewing my process, I compared 10 random WWB rounds with 10 random home rolled. Avg OAL using Hornady comparator is WWB is 0.0193" shorter.

    So, on to my questions...first, can a seat lightly crimped rifle rounds a little deeper to match recommended OAL of 2.80 and try again? I did pull one during the loading process to ensure the crimp was not marking the bullet with a ring. Second, any input on the above process?

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Fyathyrio; 12-01-2011, 3:09 PM.
    "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
    "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
    There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
    Originally posted by James Earl Jones
    The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.
  • #2
    bruceflinch
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jan 2006
    • 40155

    Could these be former machine gun rounds?
    If so, I believe you have to F/L w/ a U-Die.
    Actually I only started collecting Milsurps 3 years ago. I think I might own about 24...They're cheaper than guns that will most likely never get the opportunity to kill somebody...

    I belong to the group that uses firearms, and knows which bathroom to use.

    Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

    Secret Club Member?.

    Comment

    • #3
      nmerced
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 2673

      A picture of your handload beside a factory ammo would help.

      I have a suspicion something went wrong in the bullet seating step. I've experienced the same thing and it was due to the bullet seating process. Instead of seating the bullet, it first shoved the neck down creating a small bulge on the side before seating the bullet. OAL would come out the same but it would not chamber.
      The bullets with my name on it I'm not worried about, it's the "To whom it may concern" ones I'm worried about.

      Comment

      • #4
        joefreas
        • Jan 2010
        • 2421

        My AR-10 won't chamber a round with an OAL of over 2.8". I load 2.75+ depending on projectile and get pretty good accuracy with great reliability. There is a trade off with the semis that do not have a match chamber, basically it puts your bullet further from the lands. The distance off the lands can be beneficial especially with match grade solid copper projectiles.

        Research will dictate which rounds shoot best in your rifle. I recommend keeping detailed notes on everything OAL, distance off lands, as well as the usual.

        When you say "fully sized" do you men full length sized? Or fully neck sized?

        and Are you trimming your brass?
        Last edited by joefreas; 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM.
        If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

        Originally posted by XDRoX
        Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
        "A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
        Ron Paul

        Comment

        • #5
          huckberry668
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2007
          • 1502

          1 thing jumped out at me from your description. You crimped the round. I suspect you buckled the shoulder area a little.

          Load a few more rounds w/o crimp & try. You can remove the firing pin from the bolt to be safe.

          Another possibility is you're not bumping the shoulder down enough during resizing. You need s comparator set for that.
          GCC
          NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
          Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

          Comment

          • #6
            Fyathyrio
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2009
            • 1082

            Thanks for the fast responses!

            jowfreas...Brass was trimmed to 2.005, every case was measured and good, and sorry, I did mean to say they were full length sized.

            nmerced...Photo below of the three rounds I tried to chamber next to the known good WWB stuff I use. If it helps there was very little resistance in seating, and just a touch more at the top of crimp step stroke. The three rounds I tried to chamber at the range still fit in the case gauge smoothly now, but there's a scratch on each bullet from the FTF event. Left of each pair is WWB, right is mine.



            Bruceflinch...these were once fired Win brass in the same rifle, and were full length resized with Dillon dies.
            "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
            "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
            There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
            Originally posted by James Earl Jones
            The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

            Comment

            • #7
              SixPointEight
              Veteran Member
              • May 2009
              • 3788

              Have u measured if you're setting the shoulder back enough? It...doesnt quite look like it. But it could be the pic.

              Comment

              • #8
                Fyathyrio
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2009
                • 1082

                Huck, when looking at the photo it shows a noticeable crimp on the factory round compared to mine, so I think I might be OK.

                I did use a comparator to measure the once fired brass from my chamber before setting the sizing die...but I still may not have bumped it back enough. I initially checked five pieces of brass, they ranged from 1.630" to 1.6315", so I set die to get 1.627", or 3/1000" set back from shortest. I just re-measured three pieces I prepped in this same batch (made some extra in case of mistake during loading) and they all are at 1.626" but it's now 25* colder in my garage so I suspect they shrunk a bit.

                Thanks for the tip on removing the firing pin...hadn't thought of that!
                "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
                "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
                There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
                Originally posted by James Earl Jones
                The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Fyathyrio
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 1082

                  OK, I just measured the shoulder spec on the factory WWB vs mine, it's at 1.623, or another 4/1000" shorter.
                  "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
                  "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
                  There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
                  Originally posted by James Earl Jones
                  The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    rsrocket1
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 2772

                    Another trick is to paint the entire case and bullet with a magic marker, chamber it and see where the marker rubs off. Look carefully at the base, shoulder and bullet.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Thatguy80
                      Junior Member
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 86

                      I would remove the firing pin and try and chamber a round without the projectile and powder.

                      If the casing doesnt chamber its a headspace issue and if it does its a COAL issue.

                      But thats my .2

                      Good Luck!!!

                      PS: Id also not run a crimp as your pressures might jump if your nearing max loads. I use varget in my pet loads and have never gone over 43.5 gr in commercial casings.
                      Last edited by Thatguy80; 12-01-2011, 2:30 PM.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Fyathyrio
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 1082

                        Thanks again for all the tips and assistance! OK, to remove one variable, the OAL, can I safely seat these a little deeper considering they were crimped or will I likely damage the bullet or maybe even the brass?
                        "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
                        "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
                        There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
                        Originally posted by James Earl Jones
                        The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          kurac
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 2917

                          +1 on the magic marker trick, this is the poor mans way of finding the lands and then seating a few thousands deeper.
                          www.culinagrips.com
                          "custom grips for shooters by shooters"

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Fyathyrio
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 1082

                            My lands are 0.147 past my current OAL (and max mag length) of 2.810, so they're pretty much out of the equation.
                            "Everything I ever learned about leadership, I learned from a Chief Petty Officer." - John McCain
                            "Use your hammer, not your mouth, jackass!" - Mike Ditka
                            There has never been a shortage of people eager to draw up blueprints for running other people's lives. - Thomas Sowell
                            Originally posted by James Earl Jones
                            The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              mudshark
                              Junior Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 60

                              Looks like you need to bump the shoulder back a bit. Do you have a drop in case gauge?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1