Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloader package...Calling all pros....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Spanky8601
    Senior Member
    • Apr 2010
    • 2283

    Originally posted by biogenic
    Do I need a case trimmer ? i will mostly reload 10mm, 45, 30/30 and 357 magnum and .38spcl..... Can anyone recommend a good source for primers, Bullets and Powder ? Any help is appreciated...
    If there are no upcoming gun shows nearby, try Powder Valley for your supplies. The have one HazMat fee of $25.
    May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I am

    Comment

    • #17
      NotEnufGarage
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Oct 2010
      • 4832

      I second the vote on Lee for the beginner. If you think you'll one day move up to a progressive, the $100 Lee kit gives you everything the $274 RCBS kit does, plus $175 in your pocket for dies, components, etc.

      Be prepared to spend another $100 for primers, powder, ammo boxes, labels.

      Each caliber you want to load will require a set of dies. The RCBS dies are $40 - $50 a set, plus another $7 for a shellholder for that caliber. The Lee dies are about $30 and include the shellholder and a load sheet for that caliber, so you won't have to shell out $30 or $40 for a Sierra or Speer load book.

      I have RCBS, Hornady and Lee die sets. I think the Lee are superior when it comes to features, especially the powder through expander and the Factory Crimp Die.

      Whatever kit you get, toss the beam scale and get a small digital. Mine was only $25 and it speeds up the process, since it settles faster than the beam does. A powder trickler is good to have, too, as well as a powder weighing pan with a built in funnel.

      I can do 50 rounds per hour of anything (9MM, .38/357, .45 Colt) with the RCBS dies I have. I can do more with the Lee dies, since I prime, expand and fill the cases in the same step. I don't have to handle the case as many times this way.

      The breech lock Lee is nice, since you don't have to readjust your dies each time you switch, but the sleeves are about $3.50 each, so add $14 to the cost of each caliber.

      Read some load data sites for the calibers you want to load and pick a single powder that will work for all of them. In my case, since I'm loading both lead for cowboy action and plated/jacketed for range, I choose to start with 2 powders, Bullseye and Trailboss. The weigh about the same but the Trailboss is "fluffier" so it fills the big .45 Colt and .454 Casull cases better with low velocity lead bullet loads. Bullseye seems to work great for 9MM, .38 and .45ACP.


      Good luck. Whichever way you go, just do it. Each brand has strengths and weaknesses, but you learn those with time.

      It's a fun way to pass the time. Put your setup where you can see/hear the TV. The hours fly by.
      sigpic
      NRA Life Member (Benefactor level)

      "Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
      Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
      Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

      The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.

      Comment

      • #18
        WDE91
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2010
        • 3513

        with reloading I have learned you are NEVER done buying equipment
        there is always something that makes the process faster,more precise,more efficient

        There are many small pieces that make up a reloading setup
        "Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison

        Comment

        • #19
          IPSICK
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • 4259

          I'm surprised no one has mentioned Dillon yet. Expensive but awesome. And actually, it looks like you will mostly be reloading for pistol ammo. Have you looked at the Dillon Square Deal yet? Does all the calibers you list except for the 30/30 I believe and it doesn't cost much more than the Rock Chucker. One drawback with the Square Deal is that the dies work only with the Square Deal. They do have good resale value though and if you buy used, Dillon's lifetime warranty goes to the new owner.

          You can always go full monty and get the 550, but then you're back to my second statement above.
          "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

          "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

          Comment

          • #20
            Tzvia
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2006
            • 602

            After I saw my brother's broken Lee Challenger, I went out and bought a Redding Big Boss press, and just love it. It is an awesome single stage press and I think it is a good value. I figured I will have it the rest of my life, and it will pay for itself real quick making precision rifle rounds. I'm making match .308 at under 13 bucks a box vs. 35 or so for commercial 'match' ammo. It didn't take long for it to start paying me back...

            Even if you end up buying a progressive press for pistol, that single stage will still be handling the rifle reloading so it's not a waste. I currently have a Dillon 650, the Redding, and an RCBS 'Partner' press that I use with a Lee press-mounted priming tool for rifle priming.

            For 30-30 reloading, I find the brass really grows on mine as I'm shooting old Winchersters (1909 through 1921 vintage) so trimming is a must. So is checking for case head separation and limiting the brass re-use to 3 or 4 times. That Lee Factory Crimp die is really nice- for 30-30 a good solid crimp is a must.
            Tzvia

            RIP Kelev my sweet Lab (and avatar). The best dog in the known universe. Thank you for 14 wonderful years. I will see you again one day.

            Comment

            • #21
              r3dn3ck
              Banned
              • Feb 2010
              • 1900

              i like the lee kit for price. I've had mine more than 10 years and it's still as good as the day I got it. The scale is only so-so but the rest of the kit is nice.

              I use RCBS and Lee dies, dillon lube and a hornady dial caliper. I don't think it matters what kit you get as long as the press is bench mounted and you get some good instruction.

              Comment

              • #22
                Bill Steele
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 5028

                Good price.

                Originally posted by biogenic
                I want to get started to load my own ammo. I've been going crazy trying to figure out out to get and a came upon this.....



                Would this be a good starter package for a beginner ?
                That is a really good price for an RCBS RC Supreme kit.

                The RCBS RC is one of the best single stage presses out there. The scale that comes with this kit is simple but well built and will last a lifetime.
                When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                Comment

                • #23
                  Bongos
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2005
                  • 4095

                  Actually, I would skip the pre package manufacturer deals and buy parts individual peices.

                  Here is what I would suggest:
                  RCBS Rockchucker $65-$75 used (or if you can find it "Rare on used market" a Forster/Bonanza Co-AX used $180 (new $240))
                  Hornady Electronic GS-1500 scale $30 new
                  Redding 3BR Powder Measure $120 new
                  Lee hand priming set $18 + $15 caliber shellplate (The RCBS is good too but changing over to difference calibers can be a pain $35)
                  imperial wax $6 or Dillon case lube $9
                  loading block $5
                  Lyman reloading handbook $25
                  Deburring tool $5

                  As you can see, if you went with the used Rockchucker with the above listed items, you will have better equipment for about the same price. Good luck
                  Last edited by Bongos; 05-21-2011, 1:04 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Markus
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • 1762

                    The lee classic turret press is also another good choice. You can even run it single stage while learning!

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      pepsi2451
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2006
                      • 1633

                      I bought an RCBS turret kit that came with the same accessories as the RC kit. I eventually bought an RCBS digital scale but I still use just about everything else. RCBS has great customer service, I broke the priming mechanism on my press and they sent a new one no questions asked.

                      I haven't used much lee stuff outside of casting so I can't comment on them but I'm sure the lee kit would work just fine. The lee kit doesn't look like it comes with a manual though so if you go that way make sure you order one.

                      Like someone else said you will need calipers either way. I would also go ahead and get a bullet puller. You will probably want a tumbler also, I went with the
                      Frankford Arsenal kit with the media separator, it has some bad reviews but I have gotten a lot of use out of mine and it still works. I got the 220v model because they were out of the 110 at the time.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Peter W Bush
                        Calguns Supreme Overlord
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 4727

                        I think I saw someone mention you could save money by not buying a reloading manual...

                        I think EVERY responsible reloader would agree with this statement-

                        BUY AND READ A REPUTABLE, CURRENT RELOADING MANUAL BEFORE YOU EVEN MOUNT YOUR PRESS. It is so easy to make a bad mistake when loading ammo. There's nothing better than knowing what you're doing. Please buy a reloading manual and read it. You can have my old one if you're in LA.
                        Will trade liquor/wine/beer for parts and accesories and ammo! PM me. Dont drink n shoot. Offer void where prohibited. Must be 21 or older, etc. etc.

                        Originally posted by TURBOELKY
                        Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
                        Originally posted by TURBOELKY
                        put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Fishslayer
                          In Memoriam
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 13035

                          Originally posted by BigBronco
                          You will not need a case trimmer if you only load pistol cartridges. You will want a bullet puller and a caliper.
                          Actually, a trimmer will make roll crimping your .357 Big Dog Magnum loads way easier. If you're just going for light target loads with fast powder then the taper crimp or no crimp will do. I got the Hornady cam lock & it's the chiznit! I would suggest loading a lot of light target loads at .38SP or +P levels first though. Penalties for screwing the pooch with heavy bullets & charge weights can be severe.

                          Bullet puller: Mandatory

                          Caliper: Mandatory. Find a coupon & get a digital one from Harbor Freight for $10, $20 without the coupon. Sure, there are better ones but why? The CenTech is plenty accurate for what we do.

                          Scale: Mandatory. Two is better.
                          "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                          Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                          I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                          Originally posted by redcliff
                          A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1