Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Tumbling brass? what to use..

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    killshot44
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2009
    • 4072

    Nu Finish, comes in an orange bottle. Add one capful to the media and let it run for 5 minutes THEN add the brass.

    I've tried many media and found nothing beats the "Zilla" brand lizard bedding from PetCo. Doesn't stick in pockets, lasts long and after a few runs with dryer sheet squares it is pretty powder-free. Shiny shiny.

    That said, I went to the stainless process a while ago and now I just use the walnut media when I want to shine 'em up after annealing.

    Comment

    • #17
      sargenv
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2005
      • 4620

      I actually use sand blast media (corn cob).. 14-20 grit.. I get it by the 50 pound sack.. it's small enough not to get lodged in primer pockets just in case you tumble cases with punched primers.. a 50 pound sack lasts me a couple of years.. it's always available online (grainger's) and reasonably priced.. I don't like the larger stuff that you get at the pet store.. I'll have to try that nu-finish.. flitz polish works but goes away too fast.. I've used up all that I've gotten in various match goodie bags..

      Comment

      • #18
        rockman
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2010
        • 1148

        Regular corn cob media plus denatured alcohol plus any car wax. Shines your brass to a new brass finish.
        LIFE IS SHORT,DEATH IS FOREVER,SO RELAX AND ENJOY THE RIDE!

        Comment

        • #19
          damndave
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Oct 2008
          • 10858

          corn cob + 2 cap fulls of nu-finish. tumble for a few hours and brass will look pretty good.

          Comment

          • #20
            sequoia_nomad
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 803

            I usually tumble for a few hours in walnut shell with Nufinish, then once they are loaded (provided I'm using jacketed bullets) I give 'em a few hours in corn cob with Nufinish. The walnut media is more abrasive so it cleans burnt powder residue well, but yields a dull shine. The corn cob doesn't seem to clean as well, but gives a bright polished finish to the whole round, primer, bullet and all.

            Comment

            • #21
              stewiegriffin
              Member
              • Jan 2010
              • 227

              Dont waste your money on any branded "tumbling media."

              Just go to a pet store and buy walnut or corncob bedding for reptiles. It'll save you tons of cash.

              This has been discussed several times. Use search. Just sayin....
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                stand125
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2010
                • 1451

                Originally posted by stewiegriffin
                This has been discussed several times. Use search. Just sayin....
                I thought that Calguns was a discussion forum, Just sayin

                I use walnut shells from the feed store and used dryer sheets for a few hours
                CALGUNS DICTIONARY "FLIER": when a shooter wants to turn a 1 inch group to a half inch group because he flinched.

                Comment

                • #23
                  chim-chim7
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 1845

                  Whatever brass cleaner additive you add check to make sure it does not contain ammonia. While ammonia has proven to shine brass it has also has qualities that cause brass to break down and weaken it. Not saying your cases will crack just saying why bother with said products. Personally I use a product on the market that very few know about and has proven to work much better than anything.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    MAC USMC
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 1020

                    Lots of opinions so here is mine. I use a little Brasso when tumbling as I like my brass to be shiny. Does it accomplish anything? Don't really know, but it seems to feed better when it is very clean. Before the Brasso could possibly have any chemical effect on the brass it is already worn out from repeated reloading. I prefer walnut media, but it costs more than the corn stuff so I tend to use what is available at a reasonable price.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      chim-chim7
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 1845

                      There are other products better for shining brass than Brasso, but if it works for you that's good. As far as a chemical reaction goes from ammonia.........it starts the second it comes in contact with the brass, there is no delayed reaction. Kinda like smoking, sure it wont kill you right away, but the damage starts soon as the chemicals hit the blood stream. The only delayed reaction is death.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        em9sredbeam
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • 3429

                        So the nu finish is just a wax? not a compound or polish like when buffing a car? How much do you add and how do you know when your media needs to be replaced?
                        Stupid people; They're breeding.

                        ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                        Si vis pacem, para bellum

                        ╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          rsrocket1
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 2772

                          The NuFinish is the same stuff you buy at just about any store whether it is at a specialty car store or Walgreens. This stuff. You can probably get it for a few dollar less locally. Some even found cheap knock off stuff at the dollar store that works well. I would not use Brasso because I think it contains ammonia.

                          1-2 capfuls in your media. I just pour a thin ribbon straight out of the bottle around the middle of the media. Run it without the brass for a few minutes to make sure it doesn't clump up, then put your brass and cut up dryer sheet. I like used dryer sheets because the weave is more open and tends to trap the dust better. With 2 teenage boys and the laundry running constantly, I have an endless supply of used dryer sheets.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Fishslayer
                            In Memoriam
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 13035

                            Originally posted by sequoia_nomad
                            Be sure to try the NuFinish trick, it's unbelievable.
                            Dunno about "unbelievable" but with lizard litter it gets the brass really clean with a nice shine in a fairly short amount of time.

                            For blazing brilliance I use cob & polish. I've kinda gotten over the super shine fetish tho so haven't used that for quite awhile.
                            "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                            You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                            You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                            Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                            I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                            Originally posted by redcliff
                            A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              xrMike
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 7841

                              Originally posted by Fishslayer
                              I've kinda gotten over the super shine fetish tho so haven't used that for quite awhile.
                              Same here -- did that for awhile when I first started because it looked so good. Then you realize it doesn't shoot any better than adequately-cleaned brass, so why bother?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1