Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Squibs

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SixPointEight
    Veteran Member
    • May 2009
    • 3788

    Squibs

    So, my girlfriend, who has helped me reload dozens of times, and done it herself under my supervision a dozen times, was allowed to reload while I ran to the store. I gave her the usual warnings, made her walk me through the steps she was going to take, headed back, and saw she'd finished 60 rounds, and the other 40 were ready for bullets. I asked how she was doing, she said good, and I peeked into the 9mm cases, and saw 8 with no powder! She says she didn't get distracted by her phone, the computer blah blah blah, and said she had looked in every one before seating a bullet, and those ones she hadn't looked at yet. So we went out shooting, and after about 50 rounds I got a puff instead of a bang. Thankfully it was me and I know what to listen for. I cleared it and pounded it out, but now I KNOW there's squibs in this ammo. My two ideas are to hand her the kinetic puller, and put her in the garage for an hour until they are all pulled and she can do it right. OR, I purposely load a squib and make her shoot it and knock it out of the barrel before shes allowed to shoot the rest. What do you guys think?
  • #2
    Qwigs
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 22

    Just curious. Does the bullet even leave the brass when this happens?

    Comment

    • #3
      Oceanbob
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jun 2010
      • 12720

      Hmmm...hard decisions..

      First of all a Girlfriend that will reload ammo for you makes you a lucky man.!

      So don't hurt her feelings..LOL...

      I would recommend a Powder Check Beeper be installed on your PRESS.

      (assuming you have some sort of progressive reloading press)

      I would then MYSELF..spend that hour pulling bullets and dumping the powder back into the powder measure container; then save the already primed brass for the next session. Then take the women out for dinner.

      May the Bridges I burn light the way.

      Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

      Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

      Comment

      • #4
        ocspeedracer
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 1147

        Originally posted by Oceanbob
        First of all a Girlfriend that will reload ammo for you makes you a lucky man.!

        So don't hurt her feelings..LOL...

        I would recommend a Powder Check Beeper be installed on your PRESS.

        (assuming you have some sort of progressive reloading press)

        I would then MYSELF..spend that hour pulling bullets and dumping the powder back into the powder measure container; then save the already primed brass for the next session. Then take the women out for dinner.

        I second this

        Comment

        • #5
          SixPointEight
          Veteran Member
          • May 2009
          • 3788

          Originally posted by Qwigs
          Just curious. Does the bullet even leave the brass when this happens?
          Yes, by a few mm. Not sure the next round would have chambered, but scary none the less.

          Originally posted by Oceanbob
          First of all a Girlfriend that will reload ammo for you makes you a lucky man.!

          So don't hurt her feelings..LOL...

          I would recommend a Powder Check Beeper be installed on your PRESS.

          (assuming you have some sort of progressive reloading press)

          I would then MYSELF..spend that hour pulling bullets and dumping the powder back into the powder measure container; then save the already primed brass for the next session. Then take the women out for dinner.


          Were definitely single-staging it. She was using my lee Perfect powder measure and hand press, and loading for herself! She just let me shoot a mag off in her gun. I am pretty lucky though

          Comment

          • #6
            not-fishing
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2009
            • 2270

            With my reloads the boy and I add another step ----- hold the tray up to the light and look inside the brass to see if the loads are Even.

            I haven't had any double loads but I've had a fair share of squibs.

            The first group was from ultrasonic cleaning the brass and leaving the brass out overnight to dry out during the summer (in Folsom).

            The 38 cal brass didn't dry out so even though I did put in powder the water killed the powder on a good percentage of the reloads.

            I've since let the brass sun-dry on 95+ days after ultrasonic cleaning with good results - but I still check a few for moisture with a paper towel before priming.
            Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning

            Comment

            • #7
              Oceanbob
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jun 2010
              • 12720

              How does that method work..?

              Originally posted by not-fishing
              With my reloads the boy and I add another step ----- hold the tray up to the light and look inside the brass to see if the loads are Even.

              I haven't had any double loads but I've had a fair share of squibs.

              The first group was from ultrasonic cleaning the brass and leaving the brass out overnight to dry out during the summer (in Folsom).

              The 38 cal brass didn't dry out so even though I did put in powder the water killed the powder on a good percentage of the reloads.

              I've since let the brass sun-dry on 95+ days after ultrasonic cleaning with good results - but I still check a few for moisture with a paper towel before priming.
              I vibrate my cases clean, bright and dry in Walnut shells/cap full of polish using a Dillon 500.

              Why do you use liquid to clean cases?...And do they come out shiney..?

              I haven't had any SQUIBS or Double loads..but recently out of 100 10MM
              cartridges I did have one with no primer in the box.

              I realized I was chewing gum while operating the Dillon 550 that day.
              May the Bridges I burn light the way.

              Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

              Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

              Comment

              • #8
                ronas
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2009
                • 758

                I cleared it and pounded it out,
                If you do pound anything out I suggest you use as large of brass rod as will easily go down the barrel. That why no damage or potential for same to barrel.

                Comment

                • #9
                  Deadon
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 9975

                  Im just starting and the Hornady cop die is great! Ive already dumped one load and re did it.
                  Lions not sheep.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Chief-7700
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2008
                    • 3382

                    Originally posted by JT1989
                    So, my girlfriend, who has helped me reload dozens of times, and done it herself under my supervision a dozen times, was allowed to reload while I ran to the store. I gave her the usual warnings, made her walk me through the steps she was going to take, headed back, and saw she'd finished 60 rounds, and the other 40 were ready for bullets. I asked how she was doing, she said good, and I peeked into the 9mm cases, and saw 8 with no powder! She says she didn't get distracted by her phone, the computer blah blah blah, and said she had looked in every one before seating a bullet, and those ones she hadn't looked at yet. So we went out shooting, and after about 50 rounds I got a puff instead of a bang. Thankfully it was me and I know what to listen for. I cleared it and pounded it out, but now I KNOW there's squibs in this ammo. My two ideas are to hand her the kinetic puller, and put her in the garage for an hour until they are all pulled and she can do it right. OR, I purposely load a squib and make her shoot it and knock it out of the barrel before shes allowed to shoot the rest. What do you guys think?
                    And you have never made a mistake!!
                    There are two types of squibs:
                    No powder squib.
                    Low powder charge squib.

                    Both types the bullet is stuck in the barrel.

                    When in doubt pull all the rounds apart.
                    " I purposely load a squib and make her shoot it and knock it out of the barrel
                    before shes allowed to shoot the rest"
                    I have heard and read some very stupid stuff before, however you get the prize.

                    XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
                    IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
                    NRA Certified RSO
                    "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      HighLander51
                      Banned
                      • Feb 2010
                      • 5144

                      When in doubt pull all the rounds apart.
                      " I purposely load a squib and make her shoot it and knock it out of the barrel
                      before shes allowed to shoot the rest"
                      I have heard and read some very stupid stuff before, however you get the prize.

                      Probably neither one of them should be reloading......

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        SixPointEight
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2009
                        • 3788

                        Originally posted by ronas
                        If you do pound anything out I suggest you use as large of brass rod as will easily go down the barrel. That why no damage or potential for same to barrel.
                        I have a brass rod wrapped in electrical tape I threw together for just such an event.

                        Originally posted by Chief-7700
                        And you have never made a mistake!!
                        There are two types of squibs:
                        No powder squib.
                        Low powder charge squib.

                        Both types the bullet is stuck in the barrel.

                        When in doubt pull all the rounds apart.
                        " I purposely load a squib and make her shoot it and knock it out of the barrel
                        before shes allowed to shoot the rest"
                        I have heard and read some very stupid stuff before, however you get the prize.
                        Ahh, jerk #1. This is the internet so I knew you'd be along. I never said I don't make mistakes. Everyone does.

                        Really low powder will stick a bullet? I wouldn't have figured that one out. These are no powder squibs. She did not put them under the powder thrower at all.

                        Originally posted by HighLander51
                        Probably neither one of them should be reloading......
                        And #2, how do you propose she learn what a squib feels and sounds like without experiencing it herself?

                        Not like I'm proposing I double charge a case and let her go to town. I'd much rather she understand what it feels like so she knows not to just rack the slide and keep going.

                        Since you're so full of judgments you must know the right answer here too.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          joefreas
                          • Jan 2010
                          • 2421

                          Squibs can be very dangerous. I'd give her a good spanking and keep the reloading to yourself-
                          If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.

                          Originally posted by XDRoX
                          Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at.
                          "A true patriot would repeal the patriot act"
                          Ron Paul

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            SixPointEight
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 3788

                            Originally posted by joefreas
                            Squibs can be very dangerous. I'd give her a good spanking and keep the reloading to yourself-
                            Spanking will be issued. She'll be reloading supervised in the future. I told her I wasn't mad just worried about her. I feel that she's prettier without brass and plastic in her face.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Chief-7700
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2008
                              • 3382

                              This is Jerk#1 again with another observation.
                              So, my girlfriend, who has helped me reload dozens of times, and done it herself under my supervision a dozen times, was allowed to reload while I ran to the store. I gave her the usual warnings, made her walk me through the steps she was going to take, headed back, and saw she'd finished 60 rounds, and the other 40 were ready for bullets. I asked how she was doing, she said good, and I peeked into the 9mm cases, and saw 8 with no powder! She says she didn't get distracted by her phone, the computer blah blah blah, and said she had looked in every one before seating a bullet, and those ones she hadn't looked at yet. So we went out shooting, and after about 50 rounds I got a puff instead of a bang. Thankfully it was me and I know what to listen for. I cleared it and pounded it out, but now I KNOW there's squibs in this ammo. My two ideas are to hand her the kinetic puller, and put her in the garage for an hour until they are all pulled and she can do it right. OR, I purposely load a squib and make her shoot it and knock it out of the barrel before shes allowed to shoot the rest. What do you guys think?
                              __________________


                              So no indication that there maybe a problem with the ammo your girlfriend reloaded????

                              You asked what we thought and now you don't like the answers.

                              XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
                              IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
                              NRA Certified RSO
                              "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1