I agree with Chickenfried. I did the same thing with my wife and daughter.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Squibs
Collapse
X
-
A primer alone is loader than a primer muffled by a bullet.
Chief, maybe if you gave a response with anything behind it instead of just an insult i might care. Google it, tons of people load intentional squibs with no problems. So tell me why exactly would this be the stupidest idea you've ever heard. Firing a squib with the possibility of a live round after is dangerous. a squib in itself isnt all that dangerous.
And clearly you misunderstood what i said. When I saw the empty cases i charged em. I didnt let her put bullets on those empty cases of course. That would be stupidLast edited by SixPointEight; 12-20-2010, 5:19 PM.Comment
-
I agree with the "never let anyone else help" direction here. It is YOUR responsibility to run quality control while reloading. She does not deserve any hassle for this, BUT you deserve a kick in the pants for even thinking it's her fault in any way whatsoever and a second one for even thinking making and shooting a squib on purpose is a good idea in any way whatsoever!
Grab the puller, take them all apart and keep thinking of this as a really good lesson about why it is better to handle some things yourself as you are doing it
Last edited by GeoffLinder; 12-20-2010, 5:30 PM.Comment
-
I have reread you first post and come up with the same conclusion:
"She'd finished 60 rounds, and the other 40 were ready for bullets. I asked how she was doing, she said good, and I peeked into the 9mm cases, and saw 8 with no powder! She says she didn't get distracted by her phone, the computer blah blah blah, and said she had looked in every one before seating a bullet, and those ones she hadn't looked at yet. So we went out shooting, and after about 50 rounds I got a puff instead of a bang."
The sections in Bold would have set the alarm bells of in my head. Would have pulled all the one that she reloaded. See your last sentence.
Having had the misfortune to destroy a barrel,slide and grips on a .45 many years ago due to a bullet following a squib. I have taken the position that any reloaded round that MAY be questionable gets pulled.
I apologize that I came on so strong.
Chief
XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"Comment
-
I am new to reloading, but if i saw eight cases with no powder, i would assume their was a problem with ALL of them.Comment
-
Squib rounds should help them understand how one sounds and feel. The only danger I see is that the barrel might get marred by the rod or a follow up shot....which in this case is "purposely" so there won't e any live ammo besides the squib round in or around the firearm.
Listening or seeing one happen is not the same as one happening to yourself. A few year ago I had a squib and lucky I knew how it sounds so I D&A the firearm and cleared the squib. My bro-n-law, new to shooting shot and blew his gun because he didn't know how a squib roof sound like.
It's best to know then not. Not recommended that you make squibs but if the occasion arrise it's better to know then not.Originally posted by GottmitunsIt's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.Comment
-
My #1 sanity rule: for single stage loading there is a tray with cases which at the end of any stage will all be in the same state. Since I have a Classic Turret press I sometimes do all three stages powder fill/bullet seat/crimp, though all the cases that end up on the same tray are at the same stage. Having worked a clerical gig in college I'm able to do monotonous work for long periods of time, then switch out for another monotonous task putting off the "accomplishment" for hours on end.
Women might think differently where maybe you have several trays and as cases are processed they're moved along to different trays? That way if you need to stop at any point in time you have some completed rounds and therefore a feeling of accomplishment. However it seems like too much trouble to set the dies up every few steps, and like mailing out flyers maybe one of the "envelopes" won't be filled or will have two "letters". The results in our hobby can be deadly, so maybe break her reloading up into batches of twenty or so reserving the rest for when you know she's still up to it. And congratulations on finding a gal who'll help with reloading.Comment
-
Jerk # 1 is back again.
You let a unskilled person do your reloading unsupervised!
What worse is you not taking the responsibility to supervise her while reloading your ammo.
I'm done with this thread.
XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"Comment
-
Your reading comprehension is lacking. Her ammo, for her gun. Her components. My tools. She's participated many times before, and done it alone while I watched before.
If I had done it, or it was my ammo, I would have pulled them all and gotten rid of em. Wouldn't have been an issue.
However, I won't miss your misreading and unsupported claims of the stupidest thing you've ever heard.Comment
-
Given that, I pull back one of the kick-in-the-pants I recommended earlier. But you still get one for even thinking creating an intentional squib is a good idea for teaching someone something!Your reading comprehension is lacking. Her ammo, for her gun. Her components. My tools. She's participated many times before, and done it alone while I watched before.
If I had done it, or it was my ammo, I would have pulled them all and gotten rid of em. Wouldn't have been an issue.
However, I won't miss your misreading and unsupported claims of the stupidest thing you've ever heard.
Never take this stuff lightly or assume anything
Comment
-
Ok not quite done yet.
"So, my girlfriend, who has helped me reload dozens of times, and done it herself under my supervision a dozen times, was allowed to reload while I ran to the store. I gave her the usual warnings, made her walk me through the steps she was going to take, headed back, and saw she'd finished 60 rounds, and the other 40 were ready for bullets. I asked how she was doing, she said good, and I peeked into the 9mm cases, and saw 8 with no powder! She says she didn't get distracted by her phone, the computer blah blah blah, and said she had looked in every one before seating a bullet, and those ones she hadn't looked at yet. So we went out shooting, and after about 50 rounds I got a puff instead of a bang. Thankfully it was me and I know what to listen for. I cleared it and pounded it out, but now I KNOW there's squibs in this ammo. My two ideas are to hand her the kinetic puller, and put her in the garage for an hour until they are all pulled and she can do it right. OR, I purposely load a squib and make her shoot it and knock it out of the barrel before shes allowed to shoot the rest. What do you guys think? "
Please Bold the section where it indicates that the components belong to your girlfriend. Since I don't see it in you first post.
XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"Comment
-
Did we miss this post?Yes, by a few mm. Not sure the next round would have chambered, but scary none the less.
Were definitely single-staging itShe was using my lee Perfect powder measure and hand press, and loading for herself! She just let me shoot a mag off in her gun. . I am pretty lucky thoughComment
-
Yes. Sorry
XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
NRA Certified RSO
"Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"Comment
-
Chief, not anything against you.... But when you declared you were done with this thread... Doesn't that mean your not going to reply any more??Originally posted by GottmitunsIt's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.Comment
-
Mofo's sure are gettin' their panties in a twist in here.
I think there is some serious misinterpretation going on.
Mybe I'm alone here, but I see this as "ok honey, here's a squib so you know what it feels like". I think some of you are seeing this as the OP in a cloak with a curled black mustache, maliciously sneaking a squib round into his girlfriends ammo. He's trying to educate her not blow her f**kin hand off.
The girl had performed the task before, and had demonstrated that she knew what she was doing before he left. Is it that hard to imagine he let her do it alone. Everybody's gotta fly solo at some point.
Maybe y'all oughta put away the torches and pitchforks.sigpicOriginally posted by Dr. ElkyIf your a man who wears white sunglasses, your probably a douche bagOriginally posted by CSACANNONEERI've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,416
Posts: 25,147,665
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,927
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 20336 users online. 136 members and 20200 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment