Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

9mm 115 gr

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    zfields
    CGN Contributor
    • Aug 2010
    • 13658

    to bad you can't toss you gun in the tumbler when your out shooting 400-500 rounds at a time.

    You want a dirty gun quick, go ahead. Just trying to offer a little insight on bullseye if you thinking about using it. I also had to increase my tumbling time by a couple hours after using BE. But I'm a bit anal on my brass.
    Sandstorm Custom Rifle Slings : Custom Paracord slings

    10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!

    Comment

    • #17
      Craigwood
      Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 265

      Originally posted by ireload
      Craigwood looks like already have a load plan. The only time I use Clays is for my #1 buckshot load since it burns clean and mild recoil.
      1)The idea is to burn clean. 2) You want a fast burning powder to create the pressures for the velocity you are wanting to achieve. 3) Being carefull not to load too much of a fast burn powder.

      A slow is not recomended for a 9mm auto or 45 auto. But more for magnum loads such as .357 or .44. Those powders would be like 2400 or Blue Dot. 2400 will actually leave powder residue (unburned) in the spent cartride of a 9mm. Believe me tried it once just to see how it reacts. Will not use again for 9's
      Last edited by Craigwood; 11-02-2010, 11:13 AM.
      "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

      'John Adams'

      Comment

      • #18
        huckberry668
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2007
        • 1502

        Originally posted by Craigwood
        He was asian. It was at Los Altos. Couldnt tell if he dyed blonde hair. Wearing a ball cap. He wasnt cocky. Nice guy. Name was Carl. Quite helpfull in me sighting in my Kimber .22 conversion or my Colt .45 ACP.
        that makes 2 guys i know that like 115gr 9mm bullets with Clay...
        GCC
        NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
        Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

        Comment

        • #19
          biggun1911
          Junior Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 13

          Clays for 115grn 9mm

          I was on Hodgdon's site yesterday and found a load for a 115grn LRN 9mm for clays. Minimum was 3.0 grns and maximum is 3.4grns. OAL was 1.1. this would work for plated bullets like Berry's.

          Comment

          • #20
            Lead Waster
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2010
            • 16650

            I don't know what's in factory Federal Champion 9mm loads but it seems pretty dirty too.
            ==================

            sigpic


            Remember to dial 1 before 911.

            Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

            There. Are. Four. Lights!

            Comment

            • #21
              ireload
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2009
              • 2589

              Originally posted by Craigwood
              1)The idea is to burn clean. 2) You want a fast burning powder to create the pressures for the velocity you are wanting to achieve. 3) Being carefull not to load too much of a fast burn powder.

              A slow is not recomended for a 9mm auto or 45 auto. But more for magnum loads such as .357 or .44. Those powders would be like 2400 or Blue Dot. 2400 will actually leave powder residue (unburned) in the spent cartride of a 9mm. Believe me tried it once just to see how it reacts. Will not use again for 9's

              I agree with what you said but I have never tried Clays in 9mm before. Since I use Win 231 and Unique. I stopped using Blue Dot for magnum load since I do not want to burn down the indoor range I shoot in due to the fire ball that come out of the muzzle. On the other hand, I like 2400 for 158 grain pill.

              Comment

              • #22
                Craigwood
                Member
                • Sep 2010
                • 265

                Originally posted by biggun1911
                I was on Hodgdon's site yesterday and found a load for a 115grn LRN 9mm for clays. Minimum was 3.0 grns and maximum is 3.4grns. OAL was 1.1. this would work for plated bullets like Berry's.
                From the author of this thread I 3rd Emotion for a 115 gr. My buddy only likes to shoot 115 gr thru his Beretta. I like them as well because I find them more accurate. Talkin about Beretta's. Its a toss up between it a Sig for my next 9mm. Any comments. Please no Glock fans yet.
                Last edited by Craigwood; 11-03-2010, 8:31 PM.
                "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

                'John Adams'

                Comment

                • #23
                  eaglemike
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Jan 2008
                  • 3962

                  Clays is fine for light to moderate loads with light to medium weight bullets in 9mm. Clays is very clean.

                  Heavier bullets are able to reach higher velocities at the same or lower pressures with slower powders in 9mm. Some of the info above doesn't make this clear. Reading a reloading manual and comparing data will show this. I used to shoot 9X21, loaded to a long 9mm length, essentially 9 major. HS-6 and HS-7 were powders used by many people doing this. High velocities, safe pressures, very accurate. Don't do anything like this until you understand all the factors and risks, though.

                  My advice would be to read as many reloading manuals as you can lay hands on. Get familiar with a burning rate chart. Know that seating bullets deeper can result in higher pressures mighty quick with small capacity cases like 9mm and .40 S&W.
                  all the best,
                  Mike
                  There are some people that it's just not worth engaging.

                  It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Southpaw45
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2008
                    • 2333

                    My burn rate chart shows Bullseye is faster than Clays. Bullseye is the 5th fastest and Clays comes in at number 14. My prefered powder for 9mm is Power Pistol and I have tried Clays for 45acp with good results. It was extremely clean with all brass staying shinny.....
                    Cowboy Action Shooter
                    Midnight Black Powder Shooter
                    S.A.S.S #74217
                    Have Guns Will Travel
                    .45 Colt Enthusiast
                    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Craigwood
                      Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 265

                      Originally posted by Southpaw45
                      My burn rate chart shows Bullseye is faster than Clays. Bullseye is the 5th fastest and Clays comes in at number 14. My prefered powder for 9mm is Power Pistol and I have tried Clays for 45acp with good results. It was extremely clean with all brass staying shinny.....

                      SouthPaw

                      Have I been led down the path of deception and drank too much koolaid
                      "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

                      'John Adams'

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        eaglemike
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Jan 2008
                        • 3962

                        Clays and Bullseye are both pretty quick. I'd use Clays between the two, as it's very clean. Bullseye is cleaner, but Clays is cleaner. I've used it with some wheelgun competition loads where cleanliness is important for reloading on the clock. The brass looks almost like it hasn't been used with some loads. Pressure goes up quickly with either of these powders. Watch your OAL, make it appropriate for your bullet. It's a really easy round to load. I'm suggesting caution until you really get some experience as that's always wise. I used to work for a company that made progressive reloaders before Dillon get started.....
                        all the best,
                        Mike
                        There are some people that it's just not worth engaging.

                        It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Southpaw45
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 2333

                          Originally posted by Craigwood
                          SouthPaw

                          Have I been led down the path of deception and drank too much koolaid
                          You may have. I always take anybodys advice with a grain of salt. You just got to double check anything that is said and do your own research. Reloading advice is something you just cant take and run with it. Its a matter of safety with life, hands and face......
                          Cowboy Action Shooter
                          Midnight Black Powder Shooter
                          S.A.S.S #74217
                          Have Guns Will Travel
                          .45 Colt Enthusiast
                          ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Romanski
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 721

                            Hodgdon Tite Group
                            "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

                            "We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."

                            "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!"

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Craigwood
                              Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 265

                              Originally posted by eaglemike
                              Clays and Bullseye are both pretty quick. I'd use Clays between the two, as it's very clean. Bullseye is cleaner, but Clays is cleaner. I've used it with some wheelgun competition loads where cleanliness is important for reloading on the clock. The brass looks almost like it hasn't been used with some loads. Pressure goes up quickly with either of these powders. Watch your OAL, make it appropriate for your bullet. It's a really easy round to load. I'm suggesting caution until you really get some experience as that's always wise. I used to work for a company that made progressive reloaders before Dillon get started.....
                              all the best,
                              Mike
                              Oh yea. I loaded up the 115 gr round nose using the Clays at 3.7 grains with OAL of 1.150. It said on Clays web site for OAL at 1.125. I took to the range and they felt lighter than som Factory loads. So I took what I have left and reseated to 1.125. I have yet to try those out. And I have noticed that Clays is cleaner burning.
                              "One Useless Man is a Shame. Two are a Law firm. Three or More are a Congress".

                              'John Adams'

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1