Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Help with ruptured case...double charge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Chief-7700
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • 3382

    The OP's pictures were the result of an overcharge of Bullseye, I have seen happen a few time.

    XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
    IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
    NRA Certified RSO
    "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

    Comment

    • #17
      noylj
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2010
      • 713

      I load on a Dillon Super 1050. It has a ratchet assembly that locks up if you short stroke. I have loaded several hundred rounds, ten at a time to test various bullet/powder/charge weights for accuracy.
      Reloading cycle is I load 10 rounds in the case feed tube, set my ChargeMaster for the desired load, and it dispenses the first load while I work the cases around to the powder funnel die.
      I verify the charge on the ChargeMaster, pour it in the powder funnel and it goes into the case. I put the pan back on the ChargeMaster and lower the ram, check the powder in the case and place a bullet on the case, raise the ram to seat the bullet and take care of the other stations, keep the ram up until the charge is dispensed. Verify the reading, pour it into the case and cycle again. There is no short stroking and I can not see where I could double charge, but I did (it appears).
      Toady a round loaded with a 177gn L-SWC and 6.1gn of AA5 went KaBoom. It bley the bottom out of the magazine and opened up the forward part of the grips. half the case is still in the barrel.
      I came home and ordered another RCBS Lock-Out Die. If I can some how over-charge a case doing them by individual weights and inspections, I need something independent of me to inspect the cases. I had one one each of my dedicated 1050s, but have never had a problem like this in 35+ years of reloading.
      Any hints to get the forward section of the case out of the barrel?
      Attached Files

      Comment

      • #18
        Chief-7700
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • 3382

        Pictures are to small to see the headstamp. What Caliber were you loading when the incident happened?

        XL-650 to feed the: .45ACP's Les Baer Concept V, Ruger SR 1911, Ruger Nightwatchman,custom built Colt M1911, Springfield .45ACP Loaded.. 9MM SA Range Officer,Ruger P-85, Springfield Stainless 9MM loaded, SA 9MM 5.25" XDM, Springfield 9mm Stainless Range Officer, STI double stack .45ACP.
        IDPA A41750 Safety Officer
        NRA Certified RSO
        "Stay out of the deep end of the pool; correct the problem with your credit card, not your dremel!"

        Comment

        • #19
          noylj
          Senior Member
          • Oct 2010
          • 713

          I tried to post a larger picture.
          .40S&W, 177gn L-SWC, 6.1gn AA5
          Headstamp was Win NT. The case head is now a large oval.
          Attached Files

          Comment

          • #20
            m1a1driver
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2009
            • 1031

            Oh wow, hey man i'm glad you are okay!

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1