Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

first time reloading, need help: 7.62x54R

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    gunboat
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 3288

    The first thing you need to do is read a reloading manual - see if your library has one -- Most any of the many manuals will do for starters.
    I prefer Lyman's but to each his own --
    Don't pass up range brass. it might fit your chamber, try it. You can save it for when you do get a full length die or meet someone who will resize the case for you.
    my ha-penny

    Comment

    • #17
      LGB Loader
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2008
      • 727

      jr916,

      There are more than a few powders that would work but I use IMR 4895 because I usually have alot of this powder onhand. Actually I am quite low now, down to about 5 Lbs. I also fancy IMR 4895 quite a bit. but you can use others.

      Do you have a reloading manual? If not, I would suggest getting Lymans 49th edition and reading the front part over and over till you can quote it.
      Get your 7.62x54R handload recipes and specs from there as well.

      Where are you located? city? If we know this, we can suggest a Mom&Pop store close to you.

      LGB
      Training in The Peaceful Art to achieve unnatural naturalness and natural unnaturalness, BEcoming WATER while serving The Great I AM.

      John 3:16

      Comment

      • #18
        LGB Loader
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2008
        • 727

        dupe
        Training in The Peaceful Art to achieve unnatural naturalness and natural unnaturalness, BEcoming WATER while serving The Great I AM.

        John 3:16

        Comment

        • #19
          jr916
          Member
          • Feb 2010
          • 250

          I'll try to get a reloading manual from the library today...

          I'm in Goleta, CA and I know I can buy powder and primers at Goleta Valley Gun & Supply, but if anyone has other suggestions I'm all ears.

          "I use IMR 4859..." "I also fancy IMR 4895.." Did you mean to put a different powder # in one of those spots?

          Comment

          • #20
            huckberry668
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2007
            • 1502

            Originally posted by jr916
            Should I just shoot it at the range, then reload the used cases? Or for the hunting rounds could I just replace the bullet with a Barnes of equal weight and use the same Win powder? I'd like to buy some good empty brass, but it's way too pricey for me.

            Just to double check, http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0076631217356a
            that bullet puller is safe to use to pull bullets from live, fully-loaded rounds?
            Just shoot the Win ammo and then use the brass for reloading. The kinetic puller is fine. I've used it for years. I also use a collet puller too. Don't get stuck using 1 powder. Sometimes different powder, bullet combination gives you better accuracy/performance. Try a few, it's what reloading is about.

            Check out reloading data from powder companies:
            www.hodgdon.com gives you Winchester, IMR & Hodgdon powder info.


            just to name a few with 7.62x54 (or x53) data.
            Last edited by huckberry668; 04-20-2010, 12:00 PM.
            GCC
            NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
            Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

            Comment

            • #21
              jr916
              Member
              • Feb 2010
              • 250

              I'll buy several powders in the coming weeks/months to experiment with, but what's a good starting one for this caliber (out of a Mosin w/ a long barrel)? If I'm gonna be loading used Winchester brass, should I try to get Winchester LG Rifle primers so they fit better and less primers go off when I'm loading? I've heard it's inevitable with my little kit, but if I can preempt that a little, it'd be great.

              Comment

              • #22
                hypnoman
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2010
                • 1043

                jr916,
                If you plan on keeping and using your Lee Classic Loader for 7.62x54r you can call Lee and they will send you a neck expander for .311 (since the kit only comes with a .308)

                I use mine to reseat milsurp ammo. I noticed the charge weight varied quite a lot between the surplus rounds! I weighed out some 180 grain yugo ammo and found almost one in five varied radically in charge weight (46.6 to 49.8 grains) and bullet diameter from .3095 to .312 this might explain the "flyers"

                I believe your shots will group better when you can stabilize these variables. You might want to slug your barrel soon. I have 91/30 with .311 barrels and m44's with .313 and .314 barrels they definitely prefer different bullets.

                Enjoy!
                FS: ammo and primers http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post10352151

                FS: Pietta .44 revolver http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=712115

                FS: Romanian PSL matching numbers parts kit http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post10676211

                Comment

                • #23
                  hypnoman
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 1043

                  LGB Loader,

                  Can you tell me more about your bullet casting for your Mosin? What bullet weight, are they oversized, alloy hardness, gas checks . . . etc. I bought a mold, but really need more info. I have 500 rd of cast 9mm I thought I would melt down . . .
                  All advice appreciated!!
                  FS: ammo and primers http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post10352151

                  FS: Pietta .44 revolver http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=712115

                  FS: Romanian PSL matching numbers parts kit http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post10676211

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    ar15barrels
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Jan 2006
                    • 57177

                    Originally posted by msand951
                    I would get a bullet puller. Buy the surplus ammo and just swap out the bullet for a same grain bullet size. And just use the powder it came with.
                    Solid copper bullets of the same weight will use a much different charge weight.
                    The suggestion you made is an unsafe practice.

                    Since the lee classic loader won't full length size, the best path is to start with brass cased ammo, pull the bullets, pour the powder in the garden and put in fresh powder according to the barnes reloading manual.
                    Randall Rausch

                    AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                    Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                    Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                    Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                    Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Chris M
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • 1771

                      Originally posted by jr916
                      Just to double check, http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...0076631217356a
                      that bullet puller is safe to use to pull bullets from live, fully-loaded rounds?
                      I did a little write up a few months ago about kinetic bullet pullers:

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        huckberry668
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • 1502

                        Originally posted by jr916
                        I'll buy several powders in the coming weeks/months to experiment with, but what's a good starting one for this caliber (out of a Mosin w/ a long barrel)? If I'm gonna be loading used Winchester brass, should I try to get Winchester LG Rifle primers so they fit better and less primers go off when I'm loading? I've heard it's inevitable with my little kit, but if I can preempt that a little, it'd be great.
                        Any Large Rifle primer will do. No need to use Win primer for Win cases. Federal primers are softer so it probably would go off a little easier and this is from person experience with race revolvers. Don't worry about primers going off. Wear eye protection, go slow and tap lightly. It doesn't require much force to seat a primer.

                        Powder wise I'd suggest Varget if you can find any. It's a very versatile powder good for many calibers.
                        Last edited by huckberry668; 04-22-2010, 8:10 PM.
                        GCC
                        NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
                        Don't count your hits and congratulate yourself, count your misses and know why.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          jr916
                          Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 250

                          SO I just bought (at a new local shop I found) a box of 100 Hornady .310" 123gr. soft points to use for reloading until I get some Barnes for hunting. I know this bullet is meant for AKs but it should be fine to reload for 7.62x54R also, right? I actually thought it might be easier to seat these bullets than the "standard" .311" using my Lee Classic Loader (b/c it's meant for .308"). I also bought 100 Winchester LR primers, and a kinetic bullet puller. Now I'm just waiting on my Lee Classic Loader coming in the mail, and I need to buy powder.

                          I was gonna get the IMR4895 they had at the shop, but they also have a LOT of other powders, so I'm waiting to get more opinions on what powder is best for Mosin Nagant 91/30s... anyone got a favorite rifle powder that'd work well for me? A particularly clean one maybe? Thanks

                          Oh yeah, and if anyone has any tips for using these bullet pullers, please give them up... I'm WHACKING this thing and can't get the SP out of a Winchester round.
                          Last edited by jr916; 04-21-2010, 1:13 PM.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Chris M
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • 1771

                            Originally posted by jr916
                            Oh yeah, and if anyone has any tips for using these bullet pullers, please give them up... I'm WHACKING this thing and can't get the SP out of a Winchester round.
                            See my post above regarding bullet pullers.

                            I find they work best if you whack it against a solid object that's on a concrete floor. Hitting it against the surface your workbench may not suffice. Stand a length of a 4x4 post on your garage floor and pretend you're hammering a nail into the top of it.

                            Don't whack your bullet puller against anything harder than wood. It's plastic, and can (will) break if hit hard enough against an object that's too hard.

                            If the bullet is crimped in (most likely), it'll be a bit more subborn, but can still be pulled. Make sure the collet cap on the bullet puller remains tight...mine tends to loosen after 5-6 solid hits.
                            Last edited by Chris M; 04-21-2010, 1:34 PM.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              jr916
                              Member
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 250

                              Thanks... I figured it out just now though, it works best if I use my carpeted floor as a hitting surface. As long as I "flick" it back up with my wrist instead of just hammering down hard, I'm getting the Winchester AND surplus bullets out in 2-3 strikes easy. I got scared for a sec there b/c it says "will not work on factory loaded ammunition where a bullet sealant was used" and I thought most surplus uses one (all that red ****).

                              ...those .310" 123 grain bullets are OK to use for this caliber right? The guy at the store seemed to think it'd be fine.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                ar15barrels
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2006
                                • 57177

                                Originally posted by jr916
                                ...those .310" 123 grain bullets are OK to use for this caliber right?
                                Yes.
                                Randall Rausch

                                AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                                Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                                Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                                Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                                Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1