Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Case trimmer.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    CSACANNONEER
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Dec 2006
    • 44094

    I'd still say to get a Possum Hollow or K&M trimmer before you get a Lyman, RCBS, Wilson, etc. Then, when you decide to spend some big bucks, get a Giruard.
    NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
    Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
    Utah CCW Instructor


    Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

    sigpic
    CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

    KM6WLV

    Comment

    • #17
      freonr22
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Dec 2008
      • 12948

      The possum hollow is very nice in a drill press. Is there any difference in final product between it and wilson/any others?
      sigpic
      Originally posted by dantodd
      We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
      Originally posted by bwiese
      They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
      Originally posted by louisianagirl
      Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

      Comment

      • #18
        snappy
        Member
        • Jul 2008
        • 122

        ChrisO

        I have a Redding 2400 trimmer that I have never used.
        Will sell for $100.00 if you are interested.

        Brad

        Comment

        • #19
          diamond
          Junior Member
          • Feb 2009
          • 26

          Just to throw this in the soup I've had good luck so far with a lee "zip trim" setup.

          It's accurate and nearly as fast (maybe just as fast) as those expensive motorized stations.

          I've got the zip trim + universal shell holder chuck.



          I use a Lee case len gauge attached to a lee cutter with the wooden ball handle. You want one set up for each caliber and they're not so expensive that's a problem.



          All in all I'm in for about $30 on the zip trim with chuck + about $10 per caliber for the cutter/length gauge.

          Makes it super easy and fast do all the prep work. I just lock a deprimed case in the chuck, trim with the right cutter/gauge, chamfer the inside/outside. Then I use my flash hole tool on it before polishing a bit with some cloth. All with a few pulls of the handle. (you do get a little shoulder fatigue but it's trivial)

          On my 300 Wby & 30-06 cases I'm getting dead on the exact same case length every time. Just like any other trimer with a pilot the case len gauge keeps the cutter exactly square.

          It's not as fancy as some setups but I'm really happy with the results. Yeah, I can't try out different case lengths but I can get exactly the recommended case length every time and I think that's the point, consistency.

          We'll see how well the zip trim holds up. I'm only a few hundred rounds into it so far. Getting the technique to lock in a shell quickly in the universal chuck took some practice. The trick is to let the "jaws" do the work to align the shell. You can always just use the shell holders that come with the case length gauges if you want and save yourself 12 bucks.

          There are some youtube videos showing it in action. Just search for zip trim

          Anyway I hope this info helps you or someone else researching case trimming.

          Comment

          • #20
            Nessal
            Banned
            • Jan 2009
            • 2261

            I have used the Lee trimmer before and it worked well in the beginning, but the tip of the pilot started to wear down around 800 cases of trimmer, then it was trimming my .223 from 1.750 to 1.745 then even got down to 1.736. Thats when i stopped and decided to go back to my table trimmers. But the lee stuff is cheap and i keep it around and use it if im in a bind.

            Comment

            • #21
              mstlaurent
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2007
              • 1408

              Originally posted by Nessal
              I have used the Lee trimmer before and it worked well in the beginning, but the tip of the pilot started to wear down around 800 cases of trimmer, then it was trimming my .223 from 1.750 to 1.745 then even got down to 1.736. Thats when i stopped and decided to go back to my table trimmers. But the lee stuff is cheap and i keep it around and use it if im in a bind.
              This is exactly what happened to me with the Lee Zip Trim. Except that I only got through about 400 cases and I stopped at 1.744. I gave mine to my two-year-old, he loves it.
              I've never seen an American flag burned at a gun show.

              Comment

              • #22
                Corky43
                Member
                • Oct 2005
                • 351

                Originally posted by farnorcal
                another cheap one would be the possum hollow
                http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=155172

                Possum Hollow is slick as can be.
                NRA Endowment Member sigpic
                Fellow Scouter and Eagle Scout Parent

                Comment

                • #23
                  ChrisO
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • 4678

                  I think I'll go with the wilson or possum hollow. So with the possum hollow all I need is that piece with the wilson I need the shell holder and the mounting block? Also like I said before I'm looking for a case measurer I have some calipers but they are some chepa japanese ones I would rather have something that measures my cases better. A buddy of mine showed me what looked almost like a socket that you put your case in and if the neck hangs out it's to long and if the rim hangs out you pushed the shoulder to far back or something. Anyone know what these are? Any input? I have everything to reload except for this essential stuff.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    ChrisO
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • 4678

                    I will be reloading for .308,30-06,243,9mm,44magnum,357 magnum. I understand for .308 and .243 I can use the possum hollow but would I be better of just getting the wilson? So I can use for all of the calibers I will reload. Then just buy the shell holders for different calibers is what I would do correct?

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      freonr22
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 12948

                      KT-1 284 17 Rem. 221, 222, 222 mag., and 223
                      KT-2 22-250 and 6mm Rem.
                      KT-3 243, 260, 7-08, and 308
                      KT-4 270, 280, 25-06, and 30-06
                      KT-5 7 and 300 Magnums
                      KT-6 6PPC tight neck only
                      KT-22 22PPC tight neck only
                      KT-284 6x284, 6.5x284, and 284


                      so you need one of the above per desired caliber, and 1) power adapter



                      or you could get a power adapter for each you have, but its only one set screw, changing takes just a minute, and there are zero adjustments to make if you switch calibers



                      sigpic
                      Originally posted by dantodd
                      We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                      Originally posted by bwiese
                      They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                      Originally posted by louisianagirl
                      Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        ChrisO
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • 4678

                        The pussum hollows only cover rifle rounds not pistols?

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          mstlaurent
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2007
                          • 1408

                          You shouldn't have to trim straight-wall pistol brass. Just size it and load it.
                          I've never seen an American flag burned at a gun show.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          UA-8071174-1