Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Cost for 12 Ga. reloads?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    not-fishing
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2009
    • 2270

    Originally posted by AAShooter
    A couple comments that might seem contradictory. One, reloading consumes time. So it may cut into your shooting time. Two, nobody saves money reloading, they just shoot more ammo.
    Actually I have "saved money" in a way. I've probably loaded close to 50,000 rounds for myself, my sons, my daughter and their friends. They've shot my multitude of rifles and handguns.

    Two of my sons and I competed in rifle matches (IDPA 3 gun, steel silhouette, High Power and John C Grand matches) and handgun matches (Bullseye, IDPA, IDPA 3 gun)

    I reload with a basic Rock chucker and non-progressive rotating loader in batch loads. Heck I don't even use my powder dispensers anymore and instead use a Chargemaster where I weigh all my loads right down to the .380 acp and 9 mm loads. I don't really watch TV and reloading is my "Zen" time. Start simple and keep it simple unless buying the better equipment gives you more pleasure in reloading because you'll have to shoot a lot to break even.

    Maybe it's because I value shooting and hunting with my family and friends so much that I know I've "saved money". I agree with the other's in that you don't really "save money" but if I wanted to do that I'd never have taken up shooting at all.
    Spreading the WORD according to COLT. and Smith, Wesson, Ruger, HK, Sig, High Standard, Browning

    Comment

    • #17
      Corbin Dallas
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • May 2006
      • 6359

      NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

      WTB the following - in San Diego
      --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
      --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

      Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

      Comment

      • #18
        Duck Killer
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 2514

        They also make shot making machines if you shoot that much.

        Comment

        • #19
          BIGOX
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 949

          Originally posted by Duck Killer
          They also make shot making machines if you shoot that much.
          Lol I have two shot makers I've yet to use but plan on making a run in mid winter
          Reloading Supplies of all types (PRESSES, POWDERS, PRIMERS, DIES, BRASS, MANUEL'S, TRIMMERS, LEAD, CASTING EQUIPMENT AND MORE) (NEW, USED, OLD, VINTAGE, DISCONTINUED, HARD TO FIND)
          WHAT DO YOU NEED?
          https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1608381

          I'll put together another parts and gear ad soon.

          Comment

          • #20
            Kevin2017
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2017
            • 16

            If you are in the Sacramento area, I would be happy to help you get started.

            Comment

            • #21
              electric7
              Senior Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 599

              Get set up now. The next time there is an ammo shortage, you will not be impacted. Or, just buy a pallet of shells, lol.
              --------------------------------

              Comment

              • #22
                eyezack87
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2020
                • 44

                Keep an eye out for deals. I started with a Lee Load All for $50 and found a Mec600jr for $20 last year. Primers, I got lucky at Big5 and got 4 boxes of Winchester for $38 each. Hulls I just bum them off the range floor but I pretty much pick up my Herters since I got them for cheap back then and I like the black hull. Lead I had a dredger buddy so I have over 1k lbs of lead to cast slugs and buck with.

                If you are looking to pick up a Load All, PM me. I haven't touched it since I got my Mec unit. I'll let it go for the deal I got mine for. Just been too busy to list it due to my firstborn son keeping me occupied

                Comment

                • #23
                  the_tunaman
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 2511

                  Originally posted by BIGOX
                  To save money buy powder and primers in bulk. You can buy reclaim lead shot. Buy a used press.
                  MAGA - drain the swamp^D^D^D^D^Dcesspool!
                  Proud deplorable wacist!
                  #NotMyStateGovernment!
                  Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
                  COVID survivor - ain?t gonna get pricked!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Jet Setter
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 5348

                    It will all depend on your end cost for components. It seems that around $9 per box of 25 is pretty normal for the current cost of components.

                    I am still loading for about $4.50 per box of 25. If you plan on shooting clays long term, buy in bulk when prices are low. However, I doubt we will ever see pre Covid/Biden pricing for components.

                    Your Wally World 100 pack is now about $38 with tax. Decent factory shells can be had for about $10/box. A bit of a wash if you are just starting out reloading shotshell.
                    Last edited by Jet Setter; 10-28-2022, 9:44 PM.
                    *********************
                    WTS:
                    1. PW 800+ Hydro Multispeed (just the hydraulic unit that also works with Spolar press)
                    2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
                    3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      tabascoz28
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2016
                      • 3364

                      I always try to work in my time too so I went with a used progressive. Instead of 6 pulls per round now it's 1 every time. But that Lee Load All cost $40 and I'll keep it to do exotic loads cause a progressive is not something to mess with different settings.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        bhilliker@comcast.net
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 747

                        Yesterday I ordered a PW 375. One tool head with 12 and 20. A second tool head with .410. 3 inch kit for all 3. Out the door for everything I needed was 1013.00 bucks. 3 month back order. Chose the PW for quality and ease of changing the calibers--and cost. In order to get those three calibers and make easy changes I'd have had to spend a whole lot more for a progressive.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          sigstroker
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 19893

                          You could probably buy 3 MECs for less than that.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            bhilliker@comcast.net
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 747

                            maybe---maybe not. And if so--would be used so no telling what you'd be getting.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              edgerly779
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 19871

                              In the old days we used 1 pc felt wads and reclaimed shot and red dot was 3 bucks a pound. Primers couple cents apiece. Now modern hulls are tapered so different wads now. We loaded for 1.50 a box.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Thefeeder
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Jun 2007
                                • 5007

                                Originally posted by edgerly779
                                In the old days we used 1 pc felt wads and reclaimed shot and red dot was 3 bucks a pound. Primers couple cents apiece. Now modern hulls are tapered so different wads now. We loaded for 1.50 a box.

                                10 Hershey bars for $1.50.....A gallon of gas for 40 cents

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1