Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Seating Depth

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ocabj
    replied
    Originally posted by swerv512
    I'm no expert, but i've never heard of anyone NOT seating VLDs on the lands. My bud only uses VLDs in 308 and 223 and he sets on the lands with exceptional accuracy...
    I've shot great scores in 600 yard slow prone with jumped 80gr VLDs.

    Stecker of Berger Bullets even released a statement indicating that seating to the lands is a myth for VLDs. The optimal depth may be at the lands or it could be a bit off the lands. It all depends on your gun.

    Leave a comment:


  • Fjold
    replied
    Originally posted by ocabj
    The reason why the bullet is actually fairly deep into the case for .010" off the lands is because your rifle is chambered for .223 Remington. That's SAAMI specification .223 Remington. Not .223 Wylde, 5.56 NATO, or another .223 variant with a longer leade.

    But there's nothing wrong with using the VLD and seating deeper that most manuals indicate as long as the ogive of the bullet does not go below the lip of the case (top of the neck).

    There's nothing wrong with compressed loads. Take a look at 22cal 77gr BTHP. To shoot 22cal 77gr BTHP at AR15 magazine length, the load is going to be compressed, guaranteed.

    +1. I use compressed loads in a number of cartridges.

    Leave a comment:


  • phish
    replied
    Tubb used to jump his, he mentioned it in his first book. There are others who are experimenting with jumping, leaping if you will, vlds.

    Leave a comment:


  • swerv512
    replied
    I'm no expert, but i've never heard of anyone NOT seating VLDs on the lands. My bud only uses VLDs in 308 and 223 and he sets on the lands with exceptional accuracy...

    Leave a comment:


  • FLIGHT762
    replied
    Originally posted by ZakAttackMan
    Does that barrel even have a fast enough twist to shoot that heavy of a bullet???????
    The 5R's in .223 Remington have a 1/9" twist.

    Leave a comment:


  • Jonathan Doe
    Guest replied
    For all of the years of reloading for my rifles, I have never cared about OAL of the cartridge itself. I usually seat the bullets ~.005" to .010" from the land and single feed in the rifle. Got the good results. For gas guns for rapid fire strings of matches, I just seat them to maximum magazine length.

    Leave a comment:


  • ocabj
    replied
    Originally posted by sv_1
    I am a new reloader. I am trying to get going on a load for my rem 700 5r in .223.

    Using a 75gr Berger VLD, when I set the bullet in the case to give me ~.010 off the lands, the bottom of the bullet is ~.075 below the case shoulder. Is this okay? The manual mentions compressed loads, but how much is too much?

    I am not concerned with fitting them into the magazine. As reference the COAL is 2.411"
    The reason why the bullet is actually fairly deep into the case for .010" off the lands is because your rifle is chambered for .223 Remington. That's SAAMI specification .223 Remington. Not .223 Wylde, 5.56 NATO, or another .223 variant with a longer leade.

    But there's nothing wrong with using the VLD and seating deeper that most manuals indicate as long as the ogive of the bullet does not go below the lip of the case (top of the neck).

    There's nothing wrong with compressed loads. Take a look at 22cal 77gr BTHP. To shoot 22cal 77gr BTHP at AR15 magazine length, the load is going to be compressed, guaranteed.

    Leave a comment:


  • sv_1
    replied
    I pulled the trigger on my first reloads today. The groups got worse as I got the bullet closer to the lands. This barrel seems to stabilize the 75's just fine.

    Not the best ever, but for my first try I'm stoked:

    Leave a comment:


  • ZakAttackMan
    replied
    Originally posted by sv_1
    I am a new reloader. I am trying to get going on a load for my rem 700 5r in .223.

    Using a 75gr Berger VLD, when I set the bullet in the case to give me ~.010 off the lands, the bottom of the bullet is ~.075 below the case shoulder. Is this okay? The manual mentions compressed loads, but how much is too much?

    I am not concerned with fitting them into the magazine. As reference the COAL is 2.411"
    Does that barrel even have a fast enough twist to shoot that heavy of a bullet???????

    Leave a comment:


  • popeye4
    replied
    Originally posted by sv_1
    I am a new reloader. I am trying to get going on a load for my rem 700 5r in .223.

    Using a 75gr Berger VLD, when I set the bullet in the case to give me ~.010 off the lands, the bottom of the bullet is ~.075 below the case shoulder. Is this okay? The manual mentions compressed loads, but how much is too much?

    I am not concerned with fitting them into the magazine. As reference the COAL is 2.411"
    I don't have much successful experience with VLDs, but don't they like to be touching the lands? Of course, you have to reduce starting powder charges if you do this (Zediker recommends at least a grain lower than what works off the lands).

    Leave a comment:


  • Ten Rounder
    replied
    Originally posted by sv_1
    It was measured and confirmed.

    I do thank you for your concern and I will be careful.
    Guns and ammo are cheap, Your eyes, face, and fingers are not. You would not believe the ammo that I have seen cooked up by the new reloaders in this past year. If you need to free up some shelf space I could help you out giving those 55's a new home. The GF likes shooting my mini and I work right here in town.

    Leave a comment:


  • sv_1
    replied
    It was measured and confirmed.

    2.411 chambers (as a dummy round) without touching the lands. I have piles and piles of 55gr. I have no need to reload them, as they are not suitable for the distances I intend to shoot.

    OAL was only used as a reference as my comparator is likely not the same as yours.

    While I am new to reloading, I am not new to precision work. I do thank you for your concern and I will be careful.

    Leave a comment:


  • phish
    replied
    Originally posted by sv_1
    The OAL is 2.390 in the manual. I guess I may not have to move it back that far. It just looked strange that it was back so far in the case.
    For a Berger 75? What manual has Berger data?

    Leave a comment:


  • Ten Rounder
    replied
    Have you even measured the chamber with a Hornady OAL Gage and modified case. The only way to get the .010" off the lands is to measure, not guess at it. My understand is that the 75gr will be a compressed load. I would suggest you load only 55gr and get comfortable with those first as these are cheaper to learn with. When you learn all the tricks then move to the 75's.

    Have you even tried to chamber a 2.411 yet? Is it even possible? I load mostly 6.8 and the OAL is all over the map comparing different bullets to each other. I know you can have better accuracy with single loaded with a long OAL.

    Leave a comment:


  • sv_1
    replied
    The OAL is 2.390 in the manual. I guess I may not have to move it back that far. It just looked strange that it was back so far in the case.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
UA-8071174-1