Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Inconsistent OAL using Dillon 650 to load .45

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • chickenfried
    Calguns Addict
    • Oct 2005
    • 7160

    Inconsistent OAL using Dillon 650 to load .45

    Loaded 20 rounds to test out at the range before I crank a bunch out. I was using once fired brass. The majority were within .003" of each other. The extreme range, longest compared to shortest OAL measurement varied by .005". Is this okay?
    Originally posted by victor1echo
    Hollywood is satan!!!!
    sigpic
  • #2
    domokun
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • 3525

    Did you check your brass with a case gauge or the COAL with some calipers?
    "Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom because he might abuse it?" --Harlon Carter
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." --Gerald Ford
    "Government is essentially the negation of liberty." --Ludwig von Mises
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
    USS Hornet ARC Member.

    sigpic
    Join today?

    Comment

    • #3
      joelogic
      Calguns Addict
      • May 2008
      • 6593

      If the shell plate is snug and the die lock nuts are snug (Top and bottom), and you are doing a full and complete stroke each time, then I dont know. However I would guess that .003 is not a big deal.
      Micro/Mini Reflex Red Dot Sight Mount for the M1, M1a/M14 platform

      Comment

      • #4
        CSACANNONEER
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Dec 2006
        • 44094

        What bullets are you using? .005 isn't a big deal at all. It's probably got something to do with the bullet ogive not being consistent.
        NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
        California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
        Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
        Utah CCW Instructor


        Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

        sigpic
        CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

        KM6WLV

        Comment

        • #5
          chickenfried
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 7160

          winchester 230 grain fmj. The rounds checked out in a case gauge fine, shell plate and dies are snug. But my stroke could be a little more consistent. Did not measure COAL since consensus seems to be that trimming isn't needed with handgun brass.
          Originally posted by victor1echo
          Hollywood is satan!!!!
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #6
            4D5auto
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2007
            • 706

            That really isn't bad. You will hold tighter OAL if all brass is of the same head stamp and has equal fireings. Mixed brass will put OAL all over the place. .003-.005 is good to go. I can hold .003 on my 550 with consistant brass.
            NRA Life Member

            Comment

            • #7
              domokun
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 3525

              Originally posted by chickenfried
              winchester 230 grain fmj. The rounds checked out in a case gauge fine, shell plate and dies are snug. But my stroke could be a little more consistent. Did not measure COAL since consensus seems to be that trimming isn't needed with handgun brass.
              It isn't needed nor am I recommending it. I'm just wondering if there's some slight variation in the length of the brass cases.
              "Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom because he might abuse it?" --Harlon Carter
              "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." --Gerald Ford
              "Government is essentially the negation of liberty." --Ludwig von Mises
              "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
              USS Hornet ARC Member.

              sigpic
              Join today?

              Comment

              • #8
                C.G.
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2005
                • 8250

                Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
                What bullets are you using? .005 isn't a big deal at all. It's probably got something to do with the bullet ogive not being consistent.
                +1, that's what me thinks. As long as they fit your mag, you should be fine.
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #9
                  CSACANNONEER
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Dec 2006
                  • 44094

                  I really don't see how the case length or headstamp would affect the COAL more than .001 or .002. I really bet it will either have to do with the ogive or your seating die. I know that my dies can get dirty and that does affect the COAL.
                  NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                  California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                  Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                  Utah CCW Instructor


                  Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                  sigpic
                  CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                  KM6WLV

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    chickenfried
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 7160

                    ahh thanks that's another thing I should do, clean my dies.
                    Originally posted by victor1echo
                    Hollywood is satan!!!!
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      CSACANNONEER
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 44094

                      Originally posted by chickenfried
                      ahh thanks that's another thing I should do, clean my dies.
                      I use goof off and Q-tips. Yea, I've got to clean some of mine too.
                      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                      Utah CCW Instructor


                      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                      sigpic
                      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                      KM6WLV

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        AEC1
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 1659

                        Do yourself a favor, vomit the blue koolaid and spend 150 bucks to get a Lee pro 1000.












                        No I am am not kidding.
                        Land of the Free BECAUSE of the brave.


                        Originally posted by HondaMasterTech
                        So far, I've had six beers, four redbulls, eight twinkies and I'm REALLY afraid to fart!

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ar15barrels
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2006
                          • 57175

                          Iconsistent seating lengths in pistol cartridges usually have to do with differences in brass hardness, or with consistency of the presss stroke.
                          Your first few rounds out of a run will always be different when only some stations are in use.
                          Once all the stations are in use, the ammo will get more consistent.

                          This applies to powder charges too.
                          I usually throw a few charges right when I start.
                          Randall Rausch

                          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            chickenfried
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 7160

                            Yup that would solve my problem








                            Thanks to those that offered helpful replies.
                            Originally posted by AEC1
                            Do yourself a favor, vomit the blue koolaid and spend 150 bucks to get a Lee pro 1000.
                            No I am am not kidding.
                            Last edited by chickenfried; 06-25-2009, 3:33 PM.
                            Originally posted by victor1echo
                            Hollywood is satan!!!!
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              chickenfried
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 7160

                              Cleaned my garage, discovered some tools I bought when I was planning to use a friend's reloading machine. One of them was a stoney point bullet comparator. Using that tool to measure OAL showed a range of only .002". Haven't had a chance to hit the range
                              Last edited by chickenfried; 06-25-2009, 3:44 PM.
                              Originally posted by victor1echo
                              Hollywood is satan!!!!
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1