Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

I think I've got everything to start

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    pennstater
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 4671

    You will probably up grade to a better beam type scale. Maybe a RCBS 505 or something similar.

    Comment

    • #17
      newbie1234
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2016
      • 3130

      - https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-d...sugg_q=tumbler
      I clean the brass without steel media, it comes out OK.

      - something liked this : https://www.amazon.com/TBBSC-Precisi...%2C264&sr=8-12

      - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lemi-Shin...-12oz/15724190

      - Any dishwasher.

      Just in case : https://www.amazon.com/Redneck-Conve...1341549&sr=8-2
      Last edited by newbie1234; 09-28-2020, 6:07 PM.

      Comment

      • #18
        Beelzy
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2008
        • 9225

        Before I got a tumbler, I used steel wool....back in the Dino days. Lol
        "I kill things for a living, don't make yourself one of them"

        Comment

        • #19
          ar15barrels
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2006
          • 57175

          Originally posted by SanDiego619
          I think this is all I need to get started. I know with this gear, it won't be quick and fun, but it seems like a good setup for a beginner.

          Lee Challenger Kit 121744 $149
          Press
          Auto Primer
          Cutter
          Perfect Powder Measure
          Chamfer tool
          Primer pocket cleaner
          Beam scale
          Funnel
          Lube

          50 rd reloading tray (2) $10
          Lee Precision 6.5X55 Pacesetter Die set $34
          Lee Precision 6.5x55 Swedish Case Trim Gauge 90126 $6
          L.E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gauge $29
          Anytime Tools Premium Dial Caliper 0-6"/0.001" $36

          And the Lymans 50th edition is in the mail already.

          Is anything missing?
          This should get you started.
          Steel wool will clean cases just fine.
          Randall Rausch

          AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
          Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
          Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
          Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
          Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

          Comment

          • #20
            ysr_racer
            Banned
            • Mar 2006
            • 12014

            OP, I've been reloading since the mid 80's, and never heard about the 27 step wet tumbling process until I read about it here.

            I foolishly used the 3 step dry tumbling process all this time

            Comment

            • #21
              JackEllis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2015
              • 2731

              I dry tumbled a few cases thinking my hands would stay cleaner. They didn't so I quit.

              Washing cases in hot water and a bit of dish soap should be more than adequate. If you want to brighten them up a bit, add a pinch (and I mean a small pinch) of Lemishine or some other cleaner with a bit of acid in it, then rinse.

              Comment

              • #22
                Donny1
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2010
                • 2344

                3 parts water, 1 part regular white vinegar and a couple drops of dish soap. In a closed container and shake every few minutes. Only takes about 30 minutes. Longer starts to turn the color. Dry them and they are clean enough to load and not get gunk in the dies.

                I do this and then dry tumble 1-2 hours and they look like new.

                Comment

                • #23
                  five.five-six
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2006
                  • 34928

                  Originally posted by SanDiego619
                  I think I could handle the few-minute drive

                  For now, I'll skip tumbling and wash my brass by hand, a big reason is I just don't have room in my small place for another thing like that. I am not even sure where to set up the reloading stuff. Thank you for that, if I start reloading more then I will see if you still have it, for now I will try by hand... let's see how long it takes me to get tired of doing it that way.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    newbie1234
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2016
                    • 3130

                    Originally posted by ysr_racer
                    OP, I've been reloading since the mid 80's, and never heard about the 27 step wet tumbling process until I read about it here.
                    Here 27 steps wet tumbling.
                    (1)- Put Brass, Warm water (run the water from coffee maker if you lazy), dish washer, pinch of Lime Shine,(No steel media) into the wet tumbler.
                    (2) - Run for 30 min to one hour, then rinse the brass with water.
                    (3) - Dry the brass under the sun or just leave it there.
                    (4)- Wait until the brass dry.
                    (5)- Wait until the brass dry.
                    .....
                    (27) Wait until the brass dry.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      five.five-six
                      CGN Contributor
                      • May 2006
                      • 34928

                      I still use a harbor freight digital calipers. I have an analog RCBS to check it against and they are right on but eventually I’ll buy a better one.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SmokeTheClay
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2015
                        • 874

                        From Pittsburgh Harbor Freight to:

                        Explore our extensive selection of digital calipers, vernier calipers, and dial calipers. Find the perfect precision measuring tool for your needs and shop top-quality calipers at great prices.

                        Mitutoyo 500-196-30 AOS

                        Save so much time not having to quadruple check everything

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          SanDiego619
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 14212

                          I tried to multi-quote, not sure if it will work.

                          First, will a rotary tumbler work with dry media? It seems like everyone uses steel pins for rotary, and walnut or something for vibratory.

                          Second, I was looking at those inexpensive digital scales on amazon and wondered if they were accurate. I guess if I get the Lee press kit I can double check on the beam.

                          Third, I was planning to bolt my press to a board like five.five-six and clamp that to a table also, so I can move it around easily. Seems like a good plan.

                          I considered ordering the Lee press alone ($77) and then the other things I need, but it ends up costing a lot more than the press kit. The auto primer, cutter, and chamfer tool, and funnel are $84 alone so that already costs more than the kit.

                          It would be cheaper to order the kit and a digital scale.

                          These calipers are only $10 compared to the $36 dial calipers I found. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Calip.../dp/B07DFFYCXS would it be unwise to rely on that alone?

                          Thanks for all your input.

                          One other thing - I started pricing out total cost per round (for materials only) and came out to about 55 cents for 6.5x55 and 51 cents for .308 Win. I chose bullets that I think are pretty good, around 30 cents in either case. I found primers for 4.1 cents per primer (excluding hazmat shipping). Is ~33 cents typical for 140 grain 6.5, and 29 cents for 165 grain .308? Are my total costs per rounds typical for high quality rounds?

                          Thank you again.

                          Edit: Multi-quote didn't work, oh well, I think it doesn't matter too much.
                          Last edited by SanDiego619; 09-28-2020, 8:56 PM.
                          Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            ar15barrels
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 57175

                            Originally posted by SanDiego619
                            First, will a rotary tumbler work with dry media? It seems like everyone uses steel pins for rotary, and walnut or something for vibratory.

                            Second, I was looking at those inexpensive digital scales on amazon and wondered if they were accurate. I guess if I get the Lee press kit I can double check on the beam.

                            These calipers are only $10 compared to the $36 dial calipers I found. https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Calip.../dp/B07DFFYCXS would it be unwise to rely on that alone?

                            Thanks for all your input.
                            A rotary tumbler works with dry media.
                            You need to get the balance of brass and media right though.
                            The weight of the brass combined with the media in between the brass is what's doing the work.
                            Rotary tumblers tend to be much smaller in volume than vibratory tumblers for the amount of money spent.
                            Put another way, you get a much larger vibratory tumbler for the price than you get in a rotary.

                            Analog beam scale is more accurate than a cheap digital scale.

                            Go with Analog calipers.
                            They are more accurate than the low cost digital and don't need batteries.
                            The cheap digital calipers suck up batteries and always seem to be dead when you need them.
                            At $35, you can pick up a nice used set of Mitutoyo calipers on eBay.
                            Last edited by ar15barrels; 09-28-2020, 9:29 PM.
                            Randall Rausch

                            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              kcheung2
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • 4387

                              X number of firings you anticipate the brass will last.

                              btw, after you start loading .308, you'll soon discover that it's not much more of a step to get into 30-06. Projectiles, powder, and primers are the same. You just need the die set ($50 one time purchase) and the brass. Then you start window shopping for Garands & 1903s. Then you realize 7.5 Swiss is just as easy. Then you start window shopping for K-31s. Then you start looking into all the other 6.5mm cartridges, and start window shopping...(repeat ad infinitum)
                              ---------------------
                              "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                SmokeTheClay
                                Senior Member
                                • Aug 2015
                                • 874

                                Originally posted by kcheung2
                                X number of firings you anticipate the brass will last.

                                btw, after you start loading .308, you'll soon discover that it's not much more of a step to get into 30-06. Projectiles, powder, and primers are the same. You just need the die set ($50 one time purchase) and the brass. Then you start window shopping for Garands & 1903s. Then you realize 7.5 Swiss is just as easy. Then you start window shopping for K-31s. Then you start looking into all the other 6.5mm cartridges, and start window shopping...(repeat ad infinitum)
                                ...and then you start realizing you want even smaller holes...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1