Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M1 Garand Brass

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Clickjack
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2019
    • 515

    I did 50 rounds at 3.20 depth. Factory crimp. My books don’t seem to have a minimum OAL. But from what I read on the internet that. 3.20 is with in the saami guidelines?

    Comment

    • #32
      fguffey
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 1408

      Read this -
      I purchased a Turkish 38 type riffle I chambered a round of Turkish ammo, pulled the trigger and the smoke appeared and was accompanied with a whistling sound. The ammo was 70+ years old and the rifle was older. I knew the hole in the primer was going to cut the bolt face, so I did not fire another round.

      Instead I changed the firing pin spring, the original spring would not hold the pressure. When that happens pressure in the case exceeds the ability of the firing pin spring to hold the pressure; the winner? Pressure inside the case.

      F. Guffey

      Comment

      • #33
        fguffey
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2010
        • 1408

        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        I have a book that list three different lengths for the 30/06 because the author claimed there are three different length.

        Minimum length? I am the fan of the jump start, I want my bullet to have that running start. I want my bullet past the rifling before the bullet knows the rifling's are there.

        F. Guffey

        Comment

        • #34
          J-cat
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2005
          • 6626

          Comment

          • #35
            Sailormilan2
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2006
            • 3485

            You don't need a small based die for reloading the Garand. Standard die works just fine.

            Here's a link to Garand reloading data.



            Recommended .30 caliber M1 loadings from the NRA
            147 - 155 grain FMJ or HPBT bullets
            IMR 3031 - 48.0 grains
            IMR 4895 - 49.0 grains
            IMR 4064 - 50.0 grains
            W748 - 48.0 grains
            AA2460 - 49.0 grains
            AA2520 - 51.0 grains
            AA2495 - 50.5 grains
            H4895 - 49.0 grains
            BLC-2 - 49.0 grains
            H335 - 49.0 grains
            RL-12 - 48.0 grains

            165/168 grain FMJ, HP or SP bullets
            IMR 4895 - 47.0 grains
            IMR 4094 - 48.0 grains
            AA2520 - 47.5 grains
            AA2495 - 47.0 grains
            H4895 - 47.5 grains
            BLC-2 - 49.0 grains
            H335 - 47.0 grains
            RL-12 - 44.5 grains

            173/175 grain FMJ or HPBT bullets

            IMR 4895 - 46.0 grains
            IMR 4064 - 47.0 grains
            AA2460 - 46.0 grains
            AA2495 - 46.0 grains
            H4895 - 47.0 grains
            BLC-2 - 48.0 grains
            180 grain FMJ, SP or HPBT bullets
            IMR 4895 - 43.0 grains
            AA2460 - 46.5 grains
            AA2495 - 45.5 grains
            H4895 - 44.0 grains
            BLC-2 - 47.5 grains
            RL-12 - 41.5 grains



            Master Po's comments
            These loads only duplicate military spec. velocities for the given bullet weight, using commercial cases and powders. If you are using military cases, drop all charges by 2 grains.

            If you are looking for accuracy, drop all charges by 1 grain and work up .2 grains at a time.

            Master Po's Ancient M1 load secret
            This is my personal M1 load I use in my CMP M1. It will shoot better than Master Po can. I worked this load up, as you should for your own rifle.

            Remington .30/06 cases, flash holes deburred and weighed within 1 grain.
            Federal GM210M Primers (Master Po has heard the horror stories of Federal match primers in the M1/M1A rifles. If you're squeamish or new to reloading, use Winchester Large Rifle)
            47.0 grains IMR 4064
            Sierra 175 grain MatchKing
            Overall length 3.340 inches

            This load, in my M1, duplicates almost perfectly the M72 match load specification with a very low standard deviation. Groups off the bench run 1 - 1.5 inches with the original 1945 barrel on the rifle. Of course, Grasshopper YMMV.

            Comment

            • #36
              fguffey
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2010
              • 1408

              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

              You don't need a small based die for reloading the Garand. Standard die works just fine
              .

              I have small base dies, I do not use them but JIC as in just in case I need them.

              The M Garand has clearance cut into the chamber. I am hoping everyone know that and I am hoping everyone know by how much because I do not want to the book out. The book listed three 30/06 chambers.

              I have two 30/06 reamers; the usual one and the Ackley improved one.

              F. Guffey

              Comment

              Working...
              UA-8071174-1