Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

swaged 223 brass

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Divernhunter
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2010
    • 8753

    I got rid of my RCBS unit for the same reason. The Dillon is so much better
    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

    Comment

    • #17
      croue
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2013
      • 1255

      Comment

      • #18
        ar15robert
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2002
        • 2525

        Originally posted by divingin
        If you have a rocket-ship case mouth deburring tool, a couple of turns of the pointy end will take the crimp off. Don't go overboard; try a twist or two and see if a primer will seat (you can use a spent primer to test if you don't want to [potentially] waste a live primer.) If it doesn't seat without fiddling (or not at all), give it another twist or two. You'll get a feel for how much you have to do pretty quickly.


        Oh, and just to be clear, the pockets are crimped; you need to swage or cut the crimp from the primer pocket.
        What i have been using for 21 years attached to a drill just a quick hit is all thats needed to remove the crimp.No issues with loose primers or taking too much material.

        Comment

        • #19
          Kerplow
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2009
          • 8875

          I just stick a counter sink in a drill and go to down. Gets them done in seconds.
          Originally posted by MelvinoelGreat**
          My friend, your Chargers sure are looking good tonight. They are only losing by 14 at the half, not to bad my friend.

          Comment

          • #20
            silvertriple
            Senior Member
            • Feb 2011
            • 749

            I just chuck up a drill bit and go at it. Works fine.

            Comment

            • #21
              baih777
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2011
              • 5680

              Originally posted by MarikinaMan
              A little slow is an understatement. Mine sticks to the brass and I got to really muscle the handle to get it out. On a coupla hunerd cases, its sucks.
              If you wet tumble. A drop of oil on the pin works great.
              Last edited by baih777; 12-10-2019, 7:20 AM.
              Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
              I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
              I'm Back.

              Comment

              • #22
                bhilliker@comcast.net
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 747

                I've got about 300 pieces ready to load with no swage. I've got about 1300 pieces that are sized and trimmed needing to be swaged. I'm going to get all of it ready then got to town on some loading. Rifle case prep will be my filler time between shooting and running pistol. I tend to get ahead on pistol rounds so can use that time for rifle case prep. Thanks everyone---another task under the belt and new time killer!

                Comment

                • #23
                  kcheung2
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 4387

                  I think there's some mixup with the meanings in the OP. Crimped primer pockets means the edge of the pocket is pinched in, indications are either a concentric punched in ring around the pocket, or 4 pinch points on the rim. Swaging is displacing metal & enlarging the pocket, essentially the reverse of a crimp. Reaming is cutting away metal.

                  So if OP has a bunch of swaged brass...then load away. If however, he actually means to say he has crimped brass, then yeah it's an extra step in the process.

                  Incidentally, there is also crimped 9mm brass so it's not always just rifle rounds that need more work.
                  ---------------------
                  "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    BrassCase
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 3192

                    I bought the Franklin Arsenal unit a couple of months ago and just got the time to set it up this morning. Set-up took about 5 minutes, I took 3 minutes longer than I should have just screwing around with it. Nice thing is that the handle can be turned 180 if you want to in case that is easier on you. Works well.
                    I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong...
                    NRA Certified:

                    Chief Range Safety Officer
                    Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
                    Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      divingin
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2015
                      • 2522

                      Originally posted by kcheung2
                      Incidentally, there is also crimped 9mm brass so it's not always just rifle rounds that need more work.
                      .45ACP as well.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        AdamVIP
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2012
                        • 603

                        The dillon super swager is great. fast processing and a good investment for picking up military style brass. I've used it on lots of handgun brass.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          croue
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 1255

                          Originally posted by divingin
                          .45ACP as well.


                          Any chance it could open spp 45 to lpp without damaging the brass too much? [emoji848]


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            sargenv
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4620

                            For those who have a Hornady Projector. Hornady makes a really nice large rifle & small rifle crimp removal swage for it's press. The Dillon is nice but slow, the Projector press mounted one is way faster.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              bhilliker@comcast.net
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 747

                              Originally posted by kcheung2
                              I think there's some mixup with the meanings in the OP. Crimped primer pockets means the edge of the pocket is pinched in, indications are either a concentric punched in ring around the pocket, or 4 pinch points on the rim. Swaging is displacing metal & enlarging the pocket, essentially the reverse of a crimp. Reaming is cutting away metal.

                              So if OP has a bunch of swaged brass...then load away. If however, he actually means to say he has crimped brass, then yeah it's an extra step in the process.

                              Incidentally, there is also crimped 9mm brass so it's not always just rifle rounds that need more work.

                              Hum---ok I was not aware of two different concerns hear, swaged versus crimped. Going to say these are most likely crimped from looking at them. Was unaware there were differences as I have mentioned I am new to rifle. Now----this is concerning as I bought the Dillon Swage tool. Hasn't arrived yet----hopefully this tool is good for the crimp?????

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Novaholic
                                CGSSA Community Leader I.E.
                                • Mar 2011
                                • 402

                                Mighty Armory Swag Die.....I have one and love it
                                NRA Members' Council of the High Desert President
                                Friends of the NRA High Desert (Chairman)
                                NRA Member Life
                                CRPA Member Life
                                NRA Certified RSO, Pistol & Rifle Instructor
                                Women On Target Clinic Instructor

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1