Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

308 trimming help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    bhilliker@comcast.net
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 747

    All---great tips from everyone---THANK YOU! There were a few issues. One---I was not over camming during sizing. That was the main problem. Needed more lube when sizing. Once I resized trimming was easy, the trimmer was not the problem. When trimming I got variances from 2.012 to 2.015. Thinking that's not an issue based on replies above. PPU brass is short. After firing, sizing it still only comes out at 2.007 to 2.010. This was the factory ammo my AR did not like. Primers were getting pulled out. The 50 rounds today I prepped are fiocci. No F bombs tonight. All the tips helped. I need to pick up a case gauge and chamber before I load em up for some test rounds. Talked to people in person and was talked into Varget powder so that is what I will start with. I'll do five rounds per four powder settings then hit the range. We'll see how it goes. The plan is to perfect this round and get the kinks out of riffle loading then move on to a service load for a 100 yr old 1903 which by shoots very nice. Thanks everyone.

    Comment

    • #17
      ar15barrels
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2006
      • 57182

      Originally posted by bhilliker@comcast.net
      Talked to people in person and was talked into Varget powder so that is what I will start with. I'll do five rounds per four powder settings then hit the range.
      Give me the bullet you are using and I'll just give you the Varget load for it...
      Randall Rausch

      AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
      Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
      Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
      Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
      Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

      Comment

      • #18
        freonr22
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Dec 2008
        • 12948

        Hey Randall, I've never met you, but what happened to you?

        You have been(and continue to be)such a valuable resource, and genuinely nice person. you were a dick once in a while in the past..never more.

        what changed?

        I want some of that change..
        .
        much respect sir.
        sigpic
        Originally posted by dantodd
        We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
        Originally posted by bwiese
        They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
        Originally posted by louisianagirl
        Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

        Comment

        • #19
          smoothy8500
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2009
          • 3846

          Originally posted by freonr22
          what changed?
          I don't think anythings changed. He's always given good advice and bluntly calls out BS when he sees it.
          Last edited by smoothy8500; 09-13-2018, 8:05 AM.

          Comment

          • #20
            bhilliker@comcast.net
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2012
            • 747

            AR15

            I bought Varget powder and Sierra 168 grain HPBT bullets. Both were recommendations so I went with it.

            Comment

            • #21
              ar15barrels
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2006
              • 57182

              Originally posted by bhilliker@comcast.net
              I bought Varget powder and Sierra 168 grain HPBT bullets. Both were recommendations so I went with it.
              Start at 45gr and go as high as 46gr.
              Somewhere in there will be your rifle's sweet spot.
              Randall Rausch

              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

              Comment

              • #22
                bhilliker@comcast.net
                Senior Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 747

                I'm guessing with your handle you are using an AR platform with .308 so I will start with those numbers. Thanks for your time!!

                Comment

                • #23
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57182

                  Originally posted by bhilliker@comcast.net
                  I'm guessing with your handle you are using an AR platform with .308 so I will start with those numbers. Thanks for your time!!
                  Those are bolt gun loads.
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    baih777
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 5680

                    as you do bigger batches of 308 or 223 the case guage comes in handy.
                    everytime I fill the reloading tray on the side of the press. I check 2 or 3 random cases with the case guage. before I dump it into a larger bucket.

                    it really sucks if something changes as your doing a big batch and you load it all.
                    Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                    I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                    I'm Back.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      bohoki
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2006
                      • 20826

                      sheesh 1.99 is not ruined mark them and load them with a cheaper bullet for plinking

                      next time you size them trim them right

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1