Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

308 trimming help

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • bhilliker@comcast.net
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 747

    308 trimming help

    My third post on switching to riffle reloading. Much more involved than pistol loading Here's the problem I Had tonight----I purchased a Frankford Arsenal automatic trimmer and I am destroying brass faster than I can size it. I set it for 2.005 and trim one. Grab the next piece---put it in and it goes right to 1.999-grrrr. Start the process over, get one trimmed to 2.005 and lock the ring. Put the next one in and right back to 1.99. Ruined 10 pieces of brass. Can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated
  • #2
    J-cat
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2005
    • 6626

    Your chamber will accept brass closer to 2.050” than 2.005”. Set your trimmer for a case length a bit longer.

    Comment

    • #3
      TKM
      Onward through the fog!
      CGN Contributor
      • Jul 2002
      • 10657

      It hates your spelling.
      It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

      Comment

      • #4
        smoothy8500
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 3846

        Trimmers that index off of the shoulders can vary due to inconsistent sizing. Have you checked to see if your shoulder "datum" to cartridge base measurements are constant? Regardless, as J-cat mentions, you can get away with a longer measurement.

        The cases that are a "little short" by .006" won't matter either.

        Comment

        • #5
          bhilliker@comcast.net
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 747

          TKM----fought that blankety blank for two hours. Skipped dinner----I'm hungry tired and frustrated-----couldn't care less about my spelling--but---if you have a tip I'd love to hear it.

          Comment

          • #6
            smoothy8500
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2009
            • 3846

            Originally posted by TKM
            It hates your spelling.
            Maybe it's the extra "f" that gets in the way...

            Comment

            • #7
              bhilliker@comcast.net
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2012
              • 747

              oh yeah----there were a lot of "F'S"!!!! By the way----you have any experience with an automatic trimmer cause I sure could use a tip

              Comment

              • #8
                knucklehead0202
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2008
                • 4087

                LEE case length gauge and shellholder and a power trimmer of some sort. I use the Lyman case prep center with an adapter that holds the LEE trimmer bit. So easy a caveman can do it...

                Comment

                • #9
                  shootsocal_dave
                  Vendor/Retailer
                  • Sep 2016
                  • 1447

                  Bump your shoulders a bit when you size, helps them stay more uniformed for trimming. The better you size the better it will trim
                  ShootSoCal Firearms & Training.
                  Gun Store, Training, Cerakote & Gunsmith


                  Our Fullerton store is Open!
                  714.242.5400 - Info@ShootSoCal.com
                  10-6 Monday- Saturday, No Appointment needed.
                  1139 S Placentia Ave Fullerton CA 92831

                  Glock Optic Cuts Glock, M&P, Shield, CZ and 1911 Starting $125

                  FFL TRANSFER $50 / Ammo $25

                  We are hiring GUNSMITH position


                  Factory Trained and Certified CERAKOTE Applicator.


                  View our Online Gun Store here!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    bhilliker@comcast.net
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 747

                    Originally posted by shootsocal_dave
                    Bump your shoulders a bit when you size, helps them stay more uniformed for trimming. The better you size the better it will trim
                    good info---thank you

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 7079

                      Is it possible that after locking the ring it changes. Try setting it longer by a tad then locking the ring.
                      "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        divingin
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2015
                        • 2522

                        Originally posted by bhilliker@comcast.net
                        My third post on switching to riffle reloading. Much more involved than pistol loading Here's the problem I Had tonight----I purchased a Frankford Arsenal automatic trimmer and I am destroying brass faster than I can size it. I set it for 2.005 and trim one. Grab the next piece---put it in and it goes right to 1.999-grrrr. Start the process over, get one trimmed to 2.005 and lock the ring. Put the next one in and right back to 1.99. Ruined 10 pieces of brass. Can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated
                        Brass at 1.99" will be fine. Not ideal, but fine. I've seen a decent number of factory rounds that measured about that. Try setting your trimmer for 2.010, as that will give you a little wiggle room should it shift short.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          baih777
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 5680

                          Take another 10 pieces.
                          Size them and so if they will chamber in your rifle.
                          If they all chamber. Try trimming.
                          Check the trimmer settings. Make sure everything is tight.
                          Make sure the trimmer head is free of chips.

                          I use the RCBS trimmer and a three way trimmer head. And a homemade power adapter to use a drill. I keep a dental pick handy. I clean the head clean of chips every 10 cases.

                          Are you trimming a mixed headstamp of brass ?
                          Been gone too long. It's been 15 to 20 years since i had to shelf my guns. Those early years sucked.
                          I really miss the good old Pomona Gun Shows.
                          I'm Back.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            racinjason233
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2015
                            • 1457

                            Take 10 pieces of identical head stamp and follow the above instructions. Yes “riffle” reloading is a little more complicated then straight wall pistol rounds. Keep at it you will get it. Load the short cases and you won’t have to trim next time after firing...
                            Originally posted by smashycrashy
                            Damn, you are right, I suck
                            Originally posted by OleCuss
                            I despise Trump.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              ar15barrels
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 57182

                              Originally posted by bhilliker@comcast.net
                              I purchased a Frankford Arsenal automatic trimmer
                              I set it for 2.005 and trim one. Grab the next piece---put it in and it goes right to 1.999-grrrr.
                              get one trimmed to 2.005 and lock the ring. Put the next one in and right back to 1.99.
                              It sounds like locking the ring is the problem.
                              How about just trimming without locking the ring?
                              Randall Rausch

                              AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                              Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                              Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                              Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                              Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1