Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Problem with High-Tech Coated Bullets

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    TexasJackKin
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2014
    • 718

    I gave all of my casting and sizing stuff to a friend of mine, when I got out of casting years ago. When will I ever learn, not to give that stuff away! All this stuff runs in cycles, years ago when I was working long hours, I decided I didn't have time to cast any more. Now that I'm retired....Might have to get back into it Probably gave him 7 or 800 lbs of lead with all my stuff
    Mike M.
    Dayton, NV
    NRA Life member
    Front Sight DG
    CRPA, USPSA, AOPA, EAA, CCW: NV, CA & AZ
    Yes, I'm related to Texas Jack

    Comment

    • #17
      rsrocket1
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 2772

      If the bullets are .454" out of the box, they are defective. They should have been sized to 0.452". At that thick of a diameter, I hope you flared the case mouth before seating the bullet. Otherwise you're likely to scrape off a lot of the coating and expose bare lead on the part of the bullet that is seated.

      As for the finish of polymer coated bullets, they should look and feel like powder coating on a piece of metal. At least 2H pencil hardness which means any pencil softer than 2H should not be able to "cut" down to the lead.

      Comment

      • #18
        santacruzgunner
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2016
        • 549

        Originally posted by TexasJackKin
        Several Hours, never had an issue like this before.
        Gotcha. That's definitely not normal

        Comment

        • #19
          stilly
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2009
          • 10685

          Originally posted by TexasJackKin
          I gave all of my casting and sizing stuff to a friend of mine, when I got out of casting years ago. When will I ever learn, not to give that stuff away! All this stuff runs in cycles, years ago when I was working long hours, I decided I didn't have time to cast any more. Now that I'm retired....Might have to get back into it Probably gave him 7 or 800 lbs of lead with all my stuff
          Well good thing for you the Lee Sizing dies only run about $16 or so each. AND they are not a part of casting. They are just tools used to make sure your pills are nice and round...
          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

          Comment

          • #20
            sofbak
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2010
            • 2628

            ^^^WTF and why bother with correcting some seller's error? Are these some kind of rare unobtanium projectiles that MUST be RESCUED? Krapp..

            Call the vendor/seller and try to get a replacement order.
            Tire kickers gonna kick,
            Nose pickers gonna pick
            I and others know the real

            Comment

            • #21
              stilly
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jul 2009
              • 10685

              Originally posted by sofbak
              ^^^WTF and why bother with correcting some seller's error? Are these some kind of rare unobtanium projectiles that MUST be RESCUED? Krapp..

              Call the vendor/seller and try to get a replacement order.

              I agree with you 100%.

              But if it takes you 1 hour to fix a mistake that someone made and you need your ammos now (because we all NEED OUR AMMOS YESTERDAY!), then **** it. Go for it. If you can correct it, make a note and share with others AND the company. and rather then wait for a few days or a week, drive to the PO Etc Etc, you are now GTG.

              Besides, this is how he might learn how to fix this type of error when he casts for himself in the future...


              Speaking of ammos, MY pills just showed up from Bulletworks. I gotta go move them. Have fun.
              7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

              Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



              And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

              Comment

              • #22
                sofbak
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 2628

                Well I agree with you 100% there too. BUT-the OP sez he didn't have a sizing die, and you were suggesting he fork out $$ (and time) to get one.

                That doesn't get him ammo yesterday regardless if how bad he needs it.....

                Don't hurt yourself lifting them boolitz!
                Tire kickers gonna kick,
                Nose pickers gonna pick
                I and others know the real

                Comment

                • #23
                  stilly
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 10685

                  Ahh yes. True true. I have sizing dies on hand for all calibers that I cast. They are tools that are nice to have on hand and at $16 each, I have a quite few...
                  7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                  Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                  And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  UA-8071174-1