Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ammo Failure

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    fguffey
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 1408

    Originally posted by 00foreman
    The bullet was found on the ground just below the table. Not sure where it went. The charge blew the primer out of the brass too. Couldn't find the primer. But the cleaning rod was undamaged
    If the bullet was in the barrel when the round fired the bullet would have been driven into the barrel; meaning, the case was not supported when it fired.

    F. Guffey

    Comment

    • #32
      kalapa
      Member
      • Jan 2014
      • 370

      Don't mean to thread jack but I had my first reloading problem this week too. Also with a Kimber! A brand new 1911. Had a .45 acp round explode in my face when the gun fired out of battery. The gun failed to eject the previous round and double fed the next. Not sure what caused the next round to fire, but it did. Took a bunch of brass shrapnel to the face, and just like you it took a few minutes pressure to stop the bleeding. Pretty intense stuff. Good thing you're ok! Good reason to make sure you always wear eye protection.

      Attached Files
      Last edited by kalapa; 04-10-2017, 10:03 AM.

      Comment

      • #33
        xfer42
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Sep 2007
        • 709

        Ill bet some stick powder fell right into the flash hole perfectly so that the force of the compressed powder pushed right on those pellets contacting the primer.

        ...but we will never really know.

        Comment

        • #34
          tonyjr
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2015
          • 1448

          Glad you are O K .
          You would be surprised how many people have range bags without a 1st aid kit , spare glasses [ I prefer googles ] ear protection and extra batteries .
          1st aid wise - rolaids , Dramamine , alcohol pads , wound cream , aspirin , tyniold , magnifying glass , tweezers , lens paper , small pack of kleenex - about 15 dollars at dollar store - I keep in an old shaving kit .
          life member - CRPA and NRA
          All ways listen - after you can say I new that

          Comment

          • #35
            Rbutler
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2009
            • 675

            Originally posted by tonyjr
            Glad you are O K .
            You would be surprised how many people have range bags without a 1st aid kit , spare glasses [ I prefer googles ] ear protection and extra batteries .
            1st aid wise - rolaids , Dramamine , alcohol pads , wound cream , aspirin , tyniold , magnifying glass , tweezers , lens paper , small pack of kleenex - about 15 dollars at dollar store - I keep in an old shaving kit .
            no gauze rolls or pads?

            in addition to the alcohol pads add some benzomine pads as well for cleaning cuts since alcohol does nothing to do that. also add in some benadryl in the event someone has wicked allergies and it makes the range day crappy or some other random allergic reaction to something small.

            i also spread out and keep a few small packs each of aspirin, advil, and tylenol.

            in my truck (i shoot in the desert 10-15 yards from my truck) i have 2 cat tourniquets and 6 packs of quikclot sponges. get the real stuff it doesnt have shellfish in it like some others may.
            primer, powder, projecile, press, load, fire repeat!

            Comment

            • #36
              tonyjr
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2015
              • 1448

              Rbutler
              Yes , I have those , plus hydrogen peroxide - the alcohol pads are for flushing and cleaning off oily skin so tape will stick . I also have one of the squeeze things for babies - it make a good sucker / blower . A few different size rubber bands
              A few years ago I make up 20 kits for easter - ended up making another 12 - 6 nephews / 2 nieces for their range bags / cars .
              life member - CRPA and NRA
              All ways listen - after you can say I new that

              Comment

              • #37
                sealocan
                Calguns Addict
                • Mar 2012
                • 9956

                Just wanted to say,
                I'm glad you're both okay and thank you for sharing your story.

                Comment

                • #38
                  stilly
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 10685

                  Originally posted by 00foreman
                  Stilly,

                  To answer a few of your questions...

                  The particular round in question was loaded by my dad. I can't guarantee the quality control that went into it, but I know he is very particular and trust he did everything correctly. I do know he uses CCI 250 primers.

                  I honestly couldn't tell you how much time passed between the last tap and ignition. It all happened so fast it just seemed instantaneous. After reading all the comments it wouldn't make sense for it to discharge inside the chamber so there must have been a short delay while it traveled back found something to hit the primer.

                  All that being said, I was cleaning the rifle today. Once I took the stock off what came falling out? the missing primer! And wouldn't you know it, there is a strike on the edge of it. The only thing I can think of is it hitting the pin that holds the bolt in place. Hopefully this issue never arises again, but I will be sure to take more precautions if it does.

                  Finally some good news. I drew Nevada Unit 121 early mule deer today!

                  Thanks for the insight all



                  No primer photo yet?
                  7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                  Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                  And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    fairfaxjim
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2006
                    • 2146

                    My 2 Cents Worth

                    Originally posted by incredablehefey
                    That round went bang outside of the chamber. Maybe when it dislodged it struck something on the bolt face that set the primer off?
                    This ^^^^
                    The only thing that should have set this off is an impact on the primer. The cartridge was not in the chamber, even partially when it went KABOOM. I am also confident that the bullet was not expelled from the casing. The bullet acted as a "pressure plug" in the casing, causing it to fail at the weak point, the casing mouth. The casing began peeling back before the bullet could move, resulting in the flower petal look. Once the case mouth peeled back, the bullet probably just fell out, the pressure was already released. The primer, being in the stronger base of the case was expelled. It would be helpful to see the primer, but since it was probably expelled at a fairly decent rate of speed, any marks could be either the cause of the detonation or a result of it's exit.

                    I've been involved in shooting for 60 years, and have never heard of anything quite like this one.
                    "As soon as we burn 'em," Chinn said, "more come in."
                    Ignatius Chinn, a FORMER veteran firearms agent.
                    CONTRA COSTA TIMES 03/04/2008

                    "please guys please no ridiculous offers....Im a girl, not an idiot" Mistisa242

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      tonyjr
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • 1448

                      fairfaxjim
                      Kind of agree . I only times I have seen the flower casing was either being shown or the one time I was in hunting camp and someone's kid threw a cartridge into the fire ring .
                      No one was hurt , but sparks started a few little fires .
                      life member - CRPA and NRA
                      All ways listen - after you can say I new that

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        AGGRO
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 2793

                        Dang, that's straight up scary. Lucky it wasn't in the neck or your eyes.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1