Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Stepped 9mm brass. Toss or reload?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Red9
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2014
    • 2900

    Stepped 9mm brass. Toss or reload?

    Per title. Stepped 9mm brass. Toss or reload?


    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Never enough reloading stuff
  • #2
    TomReloaded
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2013
    • 1637

    You won't find load data for it, so that's a bit sketchy.

    I'd toss it, or use a slower powder at a below min charge.

    Comment

    • #3
      someoneeasy
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 2372

      If you're shooting it out of an AR, definitely toss it. I've had two tear apart on me already, should have learned the first time..... if pistol, I haven't had a problem.

      Comment

      • #4
        stilly
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2009
        • 10685

        Stepped? As in there is a rim inside and the base is a tad thicker? TOSS...
        7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

        Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



        And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

        Comment

        • #5
          Red9
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2014
          • 2900

          Originally posted by stilly
          Stepped? As in there is a rim inside and the base is a tad thicker? TOSS...
          Thanks Stilly. I figured toss em. Rather recycle them. Unless a calgunner wants them?
          Never enough reloading stuff

          Comment

          • #6
            baranski
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2015
            • 3852

            It's likely Freedom Munitions, I toss that in my scrap bin.
            Originally posted by ACfixer
            there's plenty of sissies and snitches roaming the hallways here.

            Comment

            • #7
              Dragginpanda
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2014
              • 521

              Toss....ditto on Freedom

              Comment

              • #8
                Devilmonkey89
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2013
                • 1539

                Originally posted by someoneeasy
                If you're shooting it out of an AR, definitely toss it. I've had two tear apart on me already, should have learned the first time..... if pistol, I haven't had a problem.
                Why AR=no and pistol=yes?
                NRA Lifetime Member

                Comment

                • #9
                  Michael in California
                  Senior Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 690

                  Takes the same load as non-stepped in my 9mm. They chronograph identically. I segregate it anyway. Do what you want with it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    baranski
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2015
                    • 3852

                    Originally posted by Devilmonkey89
                    Why AR=no and pistol=yes?

                    Probably due to the 5.56 having much higher pressure than the pistol.

                    I have not yet come across stepped AR brass though.
                    Originally posted by ACfixer
                    there's plenty of sissies and snitches roaming the hallways here.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      MarikinaMan
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2015
                      • 4864

                      Ive been shooting it. I shoot matches. Doesnt matter. Just tap another in

                      I am no where near max load for 9mm.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jessdigs
                        Member
                        • Dec 2011
                        • 472

                        There was a thread a while back that they are referencing, but you should see the picture of what happens when you reload the freedom stepped brass, and there was another stepped brass with problems.
                        He was shooting them from an AR

                        Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Mayor McRifle
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2013
                          • 7771

                          If you mean brass like this . . .



                          then I think the change in volume would have a significant effect on pressure. I would toss them.
                          Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 06-10-2017, 8:46 PM.
                          Anchors Aweigh

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            lost Bob
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2013
                            • 24

                            Originally posted by baranski
                            Probably due to the 5.56 having much higher pressure than the pistol.

                            I have not yet come across stepped AR brass though.
                            The OP was asking about 9mm brass which is a caliber some AR uppers are chambered in.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              someoneeasy
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 2372

                              Originally posted by Devilmonkey89
                              Why AR=no and pistol=yes?
                              I've had 2 rip apart on me now, but never had a problem in my handguns. Not very scientific, but that's been my experience.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1