Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New press

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • hntnnut
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 1066

    New press

    Well I finally came to a decision as to which press I wanted to replace my aging RCBS RS3 that I've had since 87. The Redding Big Boss II won out, and wow what a beast. Put it on a UltraMount from Inline Fabrication. I also added the ergonomic handle and Case ejector system.



    "This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
    Abe Lincoln

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • #2
    Yerman
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1396

    Very nice. Congrats What was wrong with your RCBS?

    Comment

    • #3
      roc_my_tims
      Senior Member
      • Oct 2011
      • 1527

      nice, i had one for a moment, felt the RCBS rock chucker was stronger, but im sure both are fine.

      Comment

      • #4
        stilly
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jul 2009
        • 10685

        I have heard nice things about that press.
        7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

        Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



        And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

        Comment

        • #5
          wbunning
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2013
          • 808

          Nice set up! You have some quality gear there. Do I see an RCBS 10-10 scale on that shelf? I have one..best beam scale I ever used for reloading. Congrats on a super kit, and for keeping your bench so neat :-)

          Comment

          • #6
            hntnnut
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 1066

            Originally posted by Yerman
            Very nice. Congrats What was wrong with your RCBS?
            It still works and is still serviceable, but all the linkages are starting to show some slop. but the biggest reason for the change is the mess it makes with depriming it throws primers all over. I may mount it elsewhere for other one-off jobs.

            roc_my_tims, I considered the RCBS rock chucker but again I didn't feel their primer catch system was up to snuff, although the press is plenty beefy.

            wbunning, That is a 10-10 scale and I agree one of the greatest scales ever made.


            Richard
            "This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
            Abe Lincoln

            ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

            Comment

            • #7
              Cool Beans
              Junior Member
              • May 2014
              • 40

              Originally posted by hntnnut
              It still works and is still serviceable, but all the linkages are starting to show some slop. but the biggest reason for the change is the mess it makes with depriming it throws primers all over. I may mount it elsewhere for other one-off jobs.

              roc_my_tims, I considered the RCBS rock chucker but again I didn't feel their primer catch system was up to snuff, although the press is plenty beefy.

              wbunning, That is a 10-10 scale and I agree one of the greatest scales ever made.


              Richard
              FYI - Inline Fabrication makes a primer catch for the RC that works great. No more primers flying off into the sunset. There's a few sellers on EBay that also sell 3D printed primer catches.

              I honestly don't understand why RCBS doesn't do something about their worthless RC primer catch. It's like putting a Jack-in-the-Box antenna ball on a Lamborghini.

              Comment

              • #8
                JGoodwin
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2016
                • 9

                If you are interested in selling your old press I might be interested in it. I'm thinking about starting to reload.


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #9
                  Bumslie
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 5358

                  I love my big Boss II. I bought mine from the demo table at shot show a few years ago. My linkage had some slop so I contacted customer service.

                  Redding responded and told me to send it in. A week later I had a brand new press sent to me. I love it and I love redding products and customer service.

                  Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
                  NRA Life Member
                  WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
                  Originally posted by ivanimal
                  I love you! (some Homo)
                  Originally posted by ivanimal
                  I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
                  Originally posted by Kestryll
                  OP you are an uninformed tool.
                  Go Broncos!
                  Go Kings Go!

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Top Cat
                    Member
                    • Oct 2004
                    • 105

                    Originally posted by hntnnut
                    It still works and is still serviceable, but all the linkages are starting to show some slop. but the biggest reason for the change is the mess it makes with depriming it throws primers all over. I may mount it elsewhere for other one-off jobs.

                    Richard
                    Call RCBS. They will likely have you send it in and refurb it or send you back a new one.

                    It will be a great press for de-priming.

                    I do all my de-priming of range brass in the garage before I put it in the tumbler.

                    That step keeps all the primer mess out side, and that way only clean brass is on my bench and the abrasive primer grit stays off of the press and ram.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      roc_my_tims
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 1527

                      yeah i have the 3d primer catch, both are fine presses. but i think the price of the rcbs and 3d primer catch is a good bargain.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        fguffey
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 1408

                        When it comes to catching primers on one of my three RCBS Rock Chucker presses I do not have a problem. I have always used an outside fix; I use 3m electrical tape. The black tape looks good with the green color of the RCBS brand. And then there is the green 3M electrical tape; the green tape helps with color coordinating.

                        And then there is the winter with ice and snow; a few primers imbedded into the neoprene soles and heels are like knobblies on ice and snow. But to let a little thing like primer management get the best of me is not going to happen.

                        And then there are rubber bands, I like the 1/2" wide bands, they come in all sizes and for those that do not fit cut them in shorter length and then tie the ends together.

                        One of my early RCBS presses came with an aluminum primer tray and an aluminum wedge for mounting the press. I thought the combination was awkward but no one noticed.

                        F. Guffey

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          fguffey
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 1408

                          Originally posted by roc_my_tims
                          nice, i had one for a moment, felt the RCBS rock chucker was stronger, but im sure both are fine.
                          When it comes to sticking a case in a die does the Redding Big Boss do a better job than the RCBS Rock Chucker Special 3?

                          Or put another way is it easier to remove a stuck case from a die when stuck with the Redding?

                          F. Guffey

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            NorCalFocus
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2013
                            • 3913

                            Very nice new setup sir. I got a Inline roller handle for my Lee press and man what a nice edition that has been.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1