Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Where to buy lead

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • kriller134
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2011
    • 1302

    Where to buy lead

    I'm thinking about taking the plunge abs get into casting, but I want to find a good source for lead before I make the investment. So where's a good place to buy lead specifically in orange county?
  • #2
    Paul_R
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    CGN Contributor
    • Jan 2011
    • 2847

    Lead and everything you ever need to know about casting is at:

    This is the dedicated cast bullet forum!


    There's a few guys that sell clean range lead in the swappin' and sellin' section. It's perfect. You can get it shipped to your door for just over $1 per pound.
    Fear is a social disease

    Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/

    Comment

    • #3
      Rizzo
      Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 444

      Originally posted by kriller134
      I'm thinking about taking the plunge abs get into casting, but I want to find a good source for lead before I make the investment. So where's a good place to buy lead specifically in orange county?
      Try your local scrap yard for lead.
      Try Craigs List.
      Check out the Buy/Sell sub forum under the Reloading forum here.

      Also. the Cast Bullets website has a Buy/Sell section here:


      Read the forums over there as it has a wealth of info about casting "boolits".
      Last edited by Rizzo; 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM.

      Comment

      • #4
        j-shot
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2014
        • 1646

        Originally posted by kriller134
        I'm thinking about taking the plunge abs get into casting, but I want to find a good source for lead before I make the investment. So where's a good place to buy lead specifically in orange county?
        PM sent
        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        ...what we have here is a hillary panty sniffer...
        Originally posted by Appleseed
        A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
        Originally posted by ProShooter
        No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.

        Comment

        • #5
          Eljay
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 4985

          The cast boolits guys ship in flat rate priority mail boxes so it's pretty efficient cost-wise. Your mail carrier might be pissed though.

          If you want to learn with some known alloy and not something random I'd just mail order from rotometals.com - I think they still do free shipping above $99. It'll cost you quite a bit more so it kind of depends on your confidence level or if you need something specific.

          Personally I do some of each and basically have a pure lead pile, a #2 bullet alloy pile and a "some kind of lead" pile.

          Comment

          • #6
            zoid52
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2007
            • 783

            Lead use to be pretty easy to get. I remember placing ads on craigslist & plenty of people contacted me to pick up lead from their homes. The days of free are gone but there is plenty of lead out there.
            CALIFORNIA-IF THERES NOT A LAW AGAINST IT THERES A TAX ON IT

            Comment

            • #7
              Pardini
              Senior Member
              • May 2014
              • 1204

              LOL, Better define "Good Source", if you want a "Good Answer".
              Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
              Excellent! I am thinking about it as well and I only have 4 points and an unfortunate "match bump" up to expert classification where I am far less "competitive" with my peers there.

              Comment

              • #8
                kriller134
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2011
                • 1302

                Thanks for the replies

                Comment

                • #9
                  M1NM
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 7966

                  Cross wheel weights off your list. CA law makes them zinc now. Linotype metal used to be the best but there are no hot type print places anymore is all offset and photocpier. Check on the fishing forums too. I bought 200 pounds for $50 from a guy who cast fishing weights.
                  Last edited by M1NM; 08-18-2016, 6:15 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    someoneeasy
                    Senior Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 2372

                    You should look into powder costing as well. Where in the OC are you located? Brian in Anaheim at Reload OC or OC reload? Across from the pond sells some ingots if you want to get going. I've been able to buy some from the local recycling places as well.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Bainter1212
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2013
                      • 5936

                      You can buy it off of ebay too, sometimes known alloy from a reputable seller, sometimes mystery lead.
                      Figure out what is considered a "good deal" per pound, and you can shop smart or barter.
                      I haven't bought lead in awhile so I can't tell you what is a good deal or not right now.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        stilly
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 10685

                        The BEST places to get lead will be from CASTBOOLITS. I can set you up with a guy or two there that process range lead.

                        If you got a XRF Analyzer for metal you can tell what the metal alloy is made of, except those run about $3k+, but they are cool toys though.

                        Check ebay for deals on used ones.

                        Locally your best bet is the local recycle yards.

                        Just go to Casboolits, ebay foolz want about $1.30+ per lb and there was a guy on castboolits that was selling it for around $.7/lb delivered.

                        Oh yeah, and if you know of any sailboat junkyards, they might have lead keels or ballast they will sell you, but it will most likely be HUGE chunks that will weigh 80+ lbs each. But good pricing I bet.
                        7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                        Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                        And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1