Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New BoLee is out!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stilly
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jul 2009
    • 10685

    New BoLee is out!

    Lee just sent me an e-mail telling me that their new edition of the reloading manual has started shipping from the factory.

    The OLD one was called "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee and it was the 2nd edition. It has been called the 2nd edition since what now? 2002? I would THINK they would call it the THIRD edition. I will not know until they get back to me.


    If you are a new reloader, this is probably the single BEST book you can buy.

    Aside from teaching you how to reload in a simple and easy to understand format, they also have a HUGE (dare I say the biggest?) source of reload data published in one manual.

    I always push for BoLee (for data only) and Lyman, plus Lyman Cast handbook if you are into PC...

    This is the book but I am not certain if THIS is the same one that just came out:


    I would suggest asking Lee here: http://leeprecision.net/support/inde...ct-information
    Last edited by stilly; 08-15-2016, 6:44 PM.
    7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

    Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



    And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
  • #2
    Divernhunter
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2010
    • 8753

    I have the lee book and the one from before. I also have several Lyman books.
    I prefer to have new people study the lyman book.
    The lee book does have much data that they have taken from other manufactures and complied. One thing I dislike about the lee book is the bashing of anything that is not a lee product. Especially when they spout off that the other manufactures "over-build" their products. "Over-built" has NEVER been a problem. Cheap under building as many of the lee products have been does become a problem. "I" dislike how he slants his how to load info. If you think lee stuff is the holy grail then that will not bother you.

    After years of bashing the other overbuilt cast iron presses on the market lee started making one of their own. Did they ever admit they were wrong about a sturdy press. No---Just came out with one to compete with RCBS who they were always bashing.

    I also tell newbies to get the Barnes book if they are loading Barnes bullets. The data and procedures are different than when loading lead core bullets.
    Same thing goes when loading Swift bullets. Get their manual.

    Some barnes data can be gotten from the barnes website or the Hodgdon powder website. Just be sure you are not looking at the data for the old X-Bullet as it is different.

    The lee #2 book still only has data for a few X-Bullets and none for the Barnes TTSX or TSX. I wonder if they will take a bit of the data for the current bullets and place it in the new book.

    "Personally" I will not be rushing out to get the latest lee propaganda
    A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
    NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
    SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

    Comment

    • #3
      sofbak
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 2628

      ^^^^Propaganda.... Really?????

      To each his own I guess.

      And WRT to this:

      "After years of bashing the other overbuilt cast iron presses on the market lee started making one of their own. Did they ever admit they were wrong about a sturdy press. No---Just came out with one to compete with RCBS who they were always bashing."

      Not at all uncommon for one company to denegrate a competitor's product. A current example:

      Chevy and GMC are thrashing Ford for the new aluminum body/aluminum bed F-150. Yeah, yeah-drop a load of concrete blocks in each and see which one survives better. pfffffft.

      What GMC/Chevrolet aren't telling you is that they are working on theur own alum body/ bed trucks.

      It's called marketing strategy.....
      Tire kickers gonna kick,
      Nose pickers gonna pick
      I and others know the real

      Comment

      • #4
        God Bless America
        Calguns Addict
        • May 2014
        • 5165

        Lee's book is great, it is very complementary to the others. Lee and Lyman are among the 2 more informative books IME.

        Yes, Lee talks himself up a bit, but so would I. He has earned his right to. He is definitely interesting.

        Like all Lee products, the price is right.

        Comment

        • #5
          stilly
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2009
          • 10685

          I think Divernhunter has a point. And I totally agree with it.

          Except, Lee was my cherry popper so I am brand loyal and their values line up with how I was raised and taught. Which is why I am a rebel now. OMG I think I have FINALLY made the BEST ICED TEA EVER. It is NOT strong, but not too weak, and it tastes VERY good cold. Tastes VERY good COLDER. I am almost sad that there are so many dead people that I can not share this wonderful beverage recipe with them. It truly sucks being dead...

          So as I was saying. I know EXACTLY what he is talking about. EVERYTIME I tell new folks to beware of how the book reads, I say the exact same thing, the BoLee is a great source with a LOT of data in it, but when you read their take on teaching you how to reload, it reads like this: "HI! We are Lee, this is our book, this is our gear, please buy our stuff- Oh this is how you reload..."

          I get the whole OVER-ENGINEER problem. But maybe we need things that are over-engineered because we want to do something like SWAGE on them or something that you are not supposed to do on a normal press. Like Let me put a goddamn turbo on my Mitsubishi Galant without having to get forged pistons already! And things like that.

          I get it and I have reservations too, that was why I started the whole BoLee thing. It AINT just their book, it is their Holy Gospel. In fact, I bet you can find in their trash about working in some parts where Jesus tried the LCT and said it was good...

          Yeah their book reads like a CULT manual for sure, but if you can be an adult and decide how closely you want to follow it, that is up to you.

          OMFG this is some good tea... JFC this is so good that I can feel it making my toes swell... No sugar even! Oh man I should NOT have had that Alberto's...

          Sorry, but this is some good *** tea man... Tea has NEVER moved me like this except for that YERBA MATE which is REALLY ****ing crazy good **** (the green box with the ship on it is what you want) OMFG.

          If you are EVER at my house, remember to ask me for some tea. JFC, I am almost done with the 32oz I started with 14 minutes ago... AND I AM SIPPING!

          My toes are gonna hate me in the morning for this...

          So yeah, but the good thing about Lee and the BoLee is that at least they have a HUGE compilation of data from various locations and it is published so it AINT the internets...

          But I DO agree. I have the Lyman but not their latest. I have the 49th and the 4th and their joke of an ARF loading manual... LMFAO.

          I DO hope that Lyman is a bit more neutral, but then again, it is THEIR book, THEY made it so THEY get to say what the lawyers say is okay for them to say in it...

          More tea for me please...

          Oh yeah, I almost forgot, I think they were going to have something different added to this manual.

          Maybe they will include a section on their new progressive press...
          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

          Comment

          • #6
            BruinGuy
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2011
            • 1456

            It was overdue for an update...I hope they did update their data rather than just add to it.

            Speaking for myself, I own all the manuals for the bullet manufacturers that I use for loads plus the Lee and Lyman and Lyman cast books. I really like being able to cross reference loads for similar bullets, to see the differences they get from various test beds, etc.

            One can never have too much data! For $20 the new manual should be a good investment for the next decade or so.
            Originally posted by CSACANNONEER
            Keep in mind that you don't have a clue.

            Comment

            • #7
              PM720
              Calguns.net Shooting Team
              • Apr 2010
              • 2160

              Any opinions on Speer?

              Comment

              • #8
                stilly
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2009
                • 10685

                Originally posted by PM720
                Any opinions on Speer?
                Yeah, Get out of here with that! This is a BoLee thread!




                ;D


                I never read Speer, but I rarely see it referenced. If you shoot SPEER projectiles, it is probably worth it for you to have. Really though that is how it works, Hornady gives you mostly all Hornady data. Speer gives you Speer data, Lyman gives you all kinds of things, BoLee gives you all kinds of things, Dillon has none because Dillon owners complained that the words "hurts on their brains..." That is why you can only buy a Dillon DVD but it is locked up and you must sign a waiver and it is only on how to operate their presses. It is true- I said it on the internet...
                7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                Comment

                • #9
                  Divernhunter
                  Calguns Addict
                  • May 2010
                  • 8753

                  I have speer books and they are good. They only have data for speer bullets and sometimes speer makes bullet a little different weights compared to most other manufactures. Example: Speer 7mm ---they make a 145gr bullets and most everyone else makes a 140gr.
                  Their how to reload info is good.
                  A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                  NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                  SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    drkphibr
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2010
                    • 2462

                    Originally posted by stilly
                    Lee just sent me an e-mail telling me that their new edition of the reloading manual has started shipping from the factory.
                    This must be a well kept secret as there is nothing I can find online about a new version. Nothing on Lee's website either. No Amazon pre-order or any info. For something that has started shipping from the factory, sounds a bit strange especially considering Lee puts stuff on their site WAY in advance of being either real or available to order.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Divernhunter
                      Calguns Addict
                      • May 2010
                      • 8753

                      Stilly---Thank you.
                      One of the main reasons I do not like the lee book(I have their 1st which was more of a pamphlet and their 2nd) is that a NEW person who reads only their book will get a very slanted view of reloading and some MISINFORMATION.
                      One example is they say all hunting loads should be crimped for best accuracy etc. Complete hog-wash. I would venture to guess most loader do not crimp their hunting loads and get excellent accuracy. "personally" I have loads in different calibers and cartridges that shoot tiny or one hole groups of 3-5 rounds at 100 yards and I have not crimped any loads for many, many years. I new person who only read and believed his hog-wash would not know this. They other thing is using the factory crimp die and forcing a crimp on bullets without a crimping groove is a big mistake. One bullet manufacture even states not to do it with their bullets.

                      My complaint is not with the data but the self-serving way it is written and the misinformation in it.

                      Stilly also Dillon does not need a manual since if you get a Dillon you are suppose to be smart enough to use it with load data you get other places once you set it up according to the instruction they provide which are quite good He-He
                      A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
                      NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
                      SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club, Waterford Sportsman Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        FLIGHT762
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 3072

                        I'm waiting for the new Sierra to come out.

                        I know, I know.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          'ol shooter
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2011
                          • 4646

                          I have a bunch of manuals that get used depending on what I'm loading. Lee scared me with their dire warning about using their tool with Federals, so I cautiously used it to prime an additional two thousand or so cases aside from the thousand already primed before I read the warning.
                          The best first manual for me is still the ABC's of reloading, a timeless treasure trove of info for novice and seasoned hand loader alike.
                          sigpic
                          Bob B.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(")

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            stilly
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 10685

                            Originally posted by drkphibr
                            This must be a well kept secret as there is nothing I can find online about a new version. Nothing on Lee's website either. No Amazon pre-order or any info. For something that has started shipping from the factory, sounds a bit strange especially considering Lee puts stuff on their site WAY in advance of being either real or available to order.
                            Here is their super secret phone number to the back office bat phone...
                            262-673-3075

                            Go ahead and call them in the morning. They are three or two hours ahead of us I think.
                            7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                            Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                            And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              drkphibr
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 2462

                              Originally posted by stilly
                              Here is their super secret phone number to the back office bat phone...
                              262-673-3075

                              Go ahead and call them in the morning. They are three or two hours ahead of us I think.
                              I stand corrected. I called Lee this morning and was told the following:
                              1. The 2nd Edition was revised in July 2016
                              2. It's still being called/labeled "2nd Edition" (strange IMO)
                              3. The cover will NOT be changing, however there will an "update" notice on it indicating it's a 2016 update (kind of like the yellow "splash" added a few years ago to the 2nd Edition indicating a new format)
                              4. The primary difference is the addition of 8,000 loads/data. Didn't get (or she didn't know) details on added calibers (e.g., 416 Barrett and 50AE would be nice)
                              5. The intro/background on reloading by Richard Lee remains unchanged
                              6. Channel apparently doesn't have any available yet, but it's $29.99 + shipping directly from Lee

                              I'm sure I'll pick it up, but will wait on Amazon availability/pricing.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1