Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Reloading .22 LR

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • section31
    Member
    • Jul 2012
    • 456

    Reloading .22 LR

    Yep, they have a kit to reload .22LR. It might just become very popular.

  • #2
    Capt.Dunsel
    Senior Member
    • May 2011
    • 1199

    BUT , BUT , BUT it can't be done .....

    At least people around here . I learned how to and what to use from my Grandfather . I even got his tools to do it . He kept his family fed during the Great Depression doing it .

    But people here say it can't be done .
    Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

    Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

    Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".

    Comment

    • #3
      sofbak
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2010
      • 2628

      I think if I was concerned enough about a survival scenario or SHTF as some would say, to buy one of these kits...... I'd rather just stash a couple thousand rnds of factory .22 in my "lifeboat".

      Come to think of it, I already did!

      So I'll pass on the rimfire reloading...
      Tire kickers gonna kick,
      Nose pickers gonna pick
      I and others know the real

      Comment

      • #4
        Eljay
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2005
        • 4985

        This comes up periodically and it's more of a novelty item than something practical. The results are awful and for the expense you can buy an awful lot of .22 and stash it away even at todays prices. Or you can reload, say, 9mm and stash that.

        Yes, of COURSE it's possible to reload .22, berdan primed cases, steel cases, blah blah blah. It just doesn't generally make any sense.

        Comment

        • #5
          Capt.Dunsel
          Senior Member
          • May 2011
          • 1199

          Originally posted by Eljay
          This comes up periodically and it's more of a novelty item than something practical. The results are awful and for the expense you can buy an awful lot of .22 and stash it away even at todays prices. Or you can reload, say, 9mm and stash that.

          Yes, of COURSE it's possible to reload .22, berdan primed cases, steel cases, blah blah blah. It just doesn't generally make any sense.
          We will see come November
          Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

          Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

          Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".

          Comment

          • #6
            stilly
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jul 2009
            • 10685

            Originally posted by section31
            Yep, they have a kit to reload .22LR. It might just become very popular.

            https://thearmsguide.com/9167/reloading-22lr/

            No it will not. You can reload anything if you spend enough time on it. Knock yourself out though.

            This is a kit for those poor fools that bought a .22lr so they could say they had a gun and then never bothered to buy ammo for it.

            I will stick with loading 9mm if I want to shoot something small.

            Let's see, 5+ minutes per round vs 15 seconds per round... Hmmmmmmm.

            Yeah tough decision.
            7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

            Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



            And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

            Comment

            • #7
              jwest
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 3958

              I saw this in Dillon's BP today:

              Old World Tradition - 21st Century Innovation. Reload 22lr & 22MAG Ammo. Can't Find Primers? Reload small and large pistol or rifle primers with Prime-all compound. Create aluminum gas checks for cast bullets or create your own #11 percussion caps. Specialty reloading products made in the USA!


              But looks like that is what this thread is about.

              Just wondering if anyone has tried that kit that can comment.
              sigpic
              "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
              Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
              Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
              We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.

              Comment

              • #8
                RogueSniper
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2008
                • 3749

                I've watch some YouTube videos, independent of the manufacturer. It can be done, but the rounds are anemic, corrosive, and unreliable. Amazon has it for $64.95.

                I would want some reliability and consistency in my reloads. If only there was a way to make our own 22lr brass or at least pop out that dent in the used brass.

                I'm not having a glass of wine, I'm having SIX. It's called a tasting and it's classy.

                Active Junky / Dvor
                TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

                Stuff for sale:
                Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
                Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
                Kenwood Receiver

                Comment

                • #9
                  Canucky
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 4265

                  I've got rimefire from the sixties maybe earlier. Think I'm good, pass.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Capt.Dunsel
                    Senior Member
                    • May 2011
                    • 1199

                    Originally posted by RogueSniper
                    I've watch some YouTube videos, independent of the manufacturer. It can be done, but the rounds are anemic, corrosive, and unreliable. Amazon has it for $64.95.

                    I would want some reliability and consistency in my reloads. If only there was a way to make our own 22lr brass or at least pop out that dent in the used brass.

                    1) The reloaded rounds are not anemic , at least the way I was taught .
                    2) original 22 rf loads were bp , and that is corrsive , how to solve this
                    problem ? clean your guns properly .
                    3) just like any reloaded round , attention to detail makes them reliable ,
                    pay attention to what you are doing .
                    4) you can pop out the firing pin dent , you would also have to anneal the
                    brass so as to not have it work harden and split , as I was taught .

                    just because this kit doesn't have every thing the kit my grandfather passed down to me in it like his doesn't mean it won't work , is anemic ( 1700 fps with a 28 gr bullet) , is dirty ( what 22 rf nowadays isn't) . pay attention to what your doing and you have no problems .

                    And it time consuming , a pita , and it is a lot cheaper ( cost < $1 a box of 50)if your willing . Give it a try , reloading is a hobby , this makes it a little more interesting .
                    Last edited by Kestryll; 08-10-2016, 11:21 PM.
                    Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

                    Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

                    Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Eljay
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4985

                      Originally posted by Capt.Dunsel
                      1)
                      2) original 22 rf loads were bp , and that is corrsive , how to solve this
                      problem ? clean your guns properly .
                      I think you're missing the point of a .22 in modern times.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        CalNRA
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Apr 2006
                        • 8686

                        Originally posted by Eljay
                        I think you're missing the point of a .22 in modern times.
                        yep. I don't know a single person that cleans their 22 rifle barrels.
                        Originally posted by cvigue
                        This is not rocket surgery.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Capt.Dunsel
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2011
                          • 1199

                          Originally posted by Eljay
                          I think you're missing the point of a .22 in modern times.
                          Then what is the point of a 22 rf in modern times ?

                          Training , showing new shooters the proper handling of firearms ?

                          If training should you not only teach proper handling , load , unload , checking to see if a firearm is loaded , and proper care of said firearm ? Don't most people learn with a 22 rf nowadays ?

                          Care of a firearm , any firearm , is paramount to learning how to shoot .

                          When learning to drive a car , I was instructed to watch gauges , how to check the oil , radiator for water , tires are inflated , and how to change a tire .

                          When learning the safety of firearms I was taught to check to see if it was loaded 100% of the time one was handed to me , that every part was properly working , that it had oil where oil needed to be , and how to clean them properly before , during , and after use .

                          So what do you think the point of a 22 rf arm is ?
                          Bweise says "I have to say the situation was not at all helped by 22 yr old former Airsoft douches who kept touting here, "But possession is not illegal!" "

                          Fighting on the internet is like being in the special Olympics , everybody wins but your still retarded.

                          Librarian " Calguns is not a 'general discussion board".

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Eljay
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4985

                            Originally posted by Capt.Dunsel
                            Then what is the point of a 22 rf in modern times ?
                            They're cheap and they're easy.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Eljay
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 4985

                              Originally posted by Capt.Dunsel
                              When learning to drive a car , I was instructed to watch gauges , how to check the oil , radiator for water , tires are inflated , and how to change a tire .
                              I can guarantee a small minority of the drivers on the road today can do any of those things. I can, but there's a reason everybody's pushing roadside assistance packages. They're popular.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1