Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ziconceo
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 3269

    ...

    I'm loading some 300 blk for my 16.5 ar. Imr 4227 has me a little sketchy since the last load I used with it blew up in my face.

    Here's the load:

    300blk brass
    Oal: 2.060
    16.8gr imr 4227
    125 grain Sierra bullets
    Cci small rifle primer

    Am I good?
    I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
  • #2
    liber
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 1868

    You can verify that on the Hodgdon site yourself.



    This is what they show for a 125 gr. NOS BT

    Manufacturer - IMR
    Powder - IMR 4227
    Bullet Diam. - .308"
    C.O.L. - 2.060"

    Start
    Grains - 16.5
    Velocity - 1,818
    Pressure - 38,000 CUP

    Max
    Grains - 17.7C
    Velocity - 1,965
    Pressure - 49,800 CUP
    sigpic
    --------- liber --------

    From my cold dead end mill...

    Comment

    • #3
      ziconceo
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2011
      • 3269

      Originally posted by liber
      You can verify that on the Hodgdon site yourself.



      This is what they show for a 125 gr. NOS BT

      Manufacturer - IMR
      Powder - IMR 4227
      Bullet Diam. - .308"
      C.O.L. - 2.060"

      Start
      Grains - 16.5
      Velocity - 1,818
      Pressure - 38,000 CUP

      Max
      Grains - 17.7C
      Velocity - 1,965
      Pressure - 49,800 CUP
      Right, that's exactly the site I got it from, just double checking is all.

      I guess I just can't understand why 4227 blew up in a 95% case full of 223 yet is fine in a 95% full 300 blk.
      I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

      Comment

      • #4
        Kmai24
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 1220

        Not saying you aren't but if you didn't, knock off 10% of the min and do work ups just to be safe

        Comment

        • #5
          NewbieLoader
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2014
          • 392

          Originally posted by ziconceo
          Right, that's exactly the site I got it from, just double checking is all.

          I guess I just can't understand why 4227 blew up in a 95% case full of 223 yet is fine in a 95% full 300 blk.
          I don't see a load listed for .223 with IMR 4227 on the hodgdon web site. The same powder will act totally different from one caliber to another. So comparing the amount of powder in a .223 case VS a 300 blk case does not really tell you anything.
          I have done so much with so little for so long that now I can do almost anything with nothing at all.

          Comment

          • #6
            ziconceo
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2011
            • 3269

            Originally posted by NewbieLoader
            I don't see a load listed for .223 with IMR 4227 on the hodgdon web site. The same powder will act totally different from one caliber to another. So comparing the amount of powder in a .223 case VS a 300 blk case does not really tell you anything.
            That's because you aren't supposed to use it at all in 223 haha
            I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

            Comment

            • #7
              NewbieLoader
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • Feb 2014
              • 392

              Originally posted by ziconceo
              That's because you aren't supposed to use it at all in 223 haha
              That is my point exactly!
              I have done so much with so little for so long that now I can do almost anything with nothing at all.

              Comment

              • #8
                liber
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2014
                • 1868

                Originally posted by ziconceo
                That's because you aren't supposed to use it at all in 223 haha
                So how do you know what 95% full is for 4227 then?

                There's a lot that is not told here, what type of cases you're using...could be military or match or even just plain 223. Same goes for your 300 BLK, you haven't given too much information about the cases. Thick wall cases will have less volume.

                As with any load, you should start at the bottom and work yourself up. Your 300 BLK load is closer to the bottom, so it's *probably* safe.
                sigpic
                --------- liber --------

                From my cold dead end mill...

                Comment

                • #9
                  glassparman
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • 705

                  You should NOT look at anything having to do with reloading smokeless powders as 95% or any other percent. As others have said, one caliber to another acts totally different with a given powder. Research load data ALWAYS.

                  Load data for "smokeless" powder is measured in grains as in weight, not volume. Using anything else than properly published loads for a given caliber, powder and such, can kill you.

                  If you REALLY want to work up your own loads, get a Chrony and a powder scale and start lower than the published load data as Kmai24 said. Work your way up in half grain increments until you get to the desired or proper velocity.

                  We really want you to be around for next holiday season so be safe and research!

                  As a side note, black powder in the old guns can be loaded by volume as long as there is no air gap between the powder and bullet but black powder is a whole different ball game.
                  sigpic"There is no greater feel than to be in control of 56 tons of steel and watching that 105mm round go down range and blow something up."

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SinisterBud
                    Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 273

                    "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value."

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      ziconceo
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 3269

                      Uh oh, hold on guys, your missinterpretating what I said. I don't measure by volume, I use a beam scale and load data

                      I said 95% full because when I eyeballed the case it was about 95% full of powder. 22.5 grains of 4227 almost fills up a case of 223. 16.8 grains of 4227 almost fills up a case of 300blk.

                      I'm using cases stamped "rp" on the bottom.

                      For the 223, I'm just using hornady cases.
                      Last edited by ziconceo; 12-28-2015, 11:35 AM.
                      I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Metal God
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2013
                        • 1839

                        Since your talking volume . Think of it this way . A 30 cal bore is much bigger then a 223 bore . There is significantly more space/volume in the bore behind a 30cal bullet then a 22 cal bullet as they travel down the bore . That extra space will reduce pressure or make it harder for the powder gases to expand fast enough and keep up the pressure as the bullet goes down the bore creating even more space in the bore to pressurize behind the bullet .

                        4227 is a magnum pistol powder and to fast for the little .223 bore diameter . It's generally used in much larger diameter bores with shorter barrels . The .224 bullet was not able to get out of the way of the quickly expanding gases fast enough do to the small diameter/volume of the bore compared to the 30cal bore . This caused a huge pressure spike .

                        It's not to unlike seating a pistol round deeper reducing case volume resulting in higher peak pressure . The reduced space of the 223 bore compared to the 30cal bore allowed the pressure to spike quicker then the bullet could move down the bore resulting in a even larger pressure spike .

                        Although the above is not something every reloader understands . Reading a reloading manual from start to finish minus all the data would have helped you understand pistol powder is a no no in rifle cartridges . Yes the 300blk is a rifle cartridge but it is a specialty round that often has very specific requirements . There is a good reason why it uses a very slow pistol powder or UBER fast rifle powder . Just because the 223/5.56 uses the same case does not mean in any way they can be loaded the same way with the same powders .

                        That's my general understanding of what likely happened . I'm sure there is a better rocket science explanation as to why you blew up your gun .
                        Last edited by Metal God; 12-28-2015, 3:10 PM. Reason: added last paragraph as well as other words through out to be more clear
                        Tolerate
                        allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                        Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                        I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          opos
                          In Memoriam
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 1597

                          Originally posted by glassparman
                          You should NOT look at anything having to do with reloading smokeless powders as 95% or any other percent. As others have said, one caliber to another acts totally different with a given powder. Research load data ALWAYS.

                          Load data for "smokeless" powder is measured in grains as in weight, not volume. Using anything else than properly published loads for a given caliber, powder and such, can kill you.

                          If you REALLY want to work up your own loads, get a Chrony and a powder scale and start lower than the published load data as Kmai24 said. Work your way up in half grain increments until you get to the desired or proper velocity.

                          We really want you to be around for next holiday season so be safe and research!

                          As a side note, black powder in the old guns can be loaded by volume as long as there is no air gap between the powder and bullet but black powder is a whole different ball game.
                          Fully agree and I think some of the "% of volume" ideas that some folks get is when they look at something like the Trail Boss "loading formula" which deals with % of case space...I've had to talk a couple of new loaders out of trying to apply % information to other powders...the book and proven manufacturers recipes and careful testing might just keep all the fingers and face parts in place..playing with smokeless powder is like giving a 2 year old a rattle snake instead of a baby rattle...it's going to bite.
                          God and the Constitution give me my rights and actions...any other input is just blabbering.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            ziconceo
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 3269

                            Not using volume, not using volume, not using volume.


                            I shot the loads, they functioned perfectly, not one single jam

                            I noticed as I was loading the mag that I should've seated the bullets to 2.206 NOT 2.026 or whatever I posted haha they were inaccurate.

                            2" at ~80 yards

                            Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
                            I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Metal God
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2013
                              • 1839

                              I understand you are not using volume to load .

                              I guess I just can't understand why 4227 blew up in a 95% case full of 223 yet is fine in a 95% full 300 blk.
                              My post went directly to the above quote and believe so did the others . Volume has nothing to do with , if a load will be safe . For example check out some 45-70 loads . some only fill the case about 1/4 . It can at times help with accuracy though but again that does not mean fill the case if you want accurate loads .

                              If you don't understand why 4227 is to fast a burn rate for a 223/5.56 you need to read more about smokeless powders . This is not to be snarky . It's to make sure you keep all your fingers .
                              Last edited by Metal God; 12-28-2015, 6:24 PM.
                              Tolerate
                              allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                              Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

                              I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1