Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My 5 year old reloading .308

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    liber
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2014
    • 1868

    Originally posted by defcon
    ive never shot 168 yet. ill find out in 2 weeks
    You should check your load, it's below the starting point for IMR 4064 on the Hodgdon site.

    If you're putting 38gr in the, you're 3.5gr light of the recommended start.

    If your shooting this in a semi-auto, it might not cycle properly.
    sigpic
    --------- liber --------

    From my cold dead end mill...

    Comment

    • #17
      defcon
      Vendor/Retailer
      • Aug 2011
      • 3006

      Originally posted by liber
      You should check your load, it's below the starting point for IMR 4064 on the Hodgdon site.

      If you're putting 38gr in the, you're 3.5gr light of the recommended start.

      If your shooting this in a semi-auto, it might not cycle properly.
      Good to know


      Its for a rem 700

      Comment

      • #18
        SMarquez
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 2216

        I'm using 42 of IMR4895 with Hornady 168 Gr BTHP match bullets. I used several sources to find this load. I could go to 46 but several find their best accuracy under max velocity loads.

        Comment

        • #19
          Dano3467
          Calguns Addict
          • Mar 2013
          • 7381

          I'm assuming you taught him the individual steeps (separately ) first ?

          Or we just pressing a load here ?

          Either way the young one's need to start somewhere, to further this interest in the sport.

          I see he's wearing safety glasses, good for you POP's.

          Comment

          • #20
            Intimid8tor
            Calguns Addict
            • Apr 2007
            • 6607

            My kid likes to help me reload 9mm. Just keep a close eye and make sure everyone is wearing safety equipment and its all good.
            Starve the beast, move to a free state.

            Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."

            Comment

            • #21
              defcon
              Vendor/Retailer
              • Aug 2011
              • 3006

              Originally posted by Dano3467
              I'm assuming you taught him the individual steeps (separately ) first ?

              Or we just pressing a load here ?

              Either way the young one's need to start somewhere, to further this interest in the sport.

              I see he's wearing safety glasses, good for you POP's.
              yup

              i showed him everything except for priming. i did the hand priming myself.

              he didnt like the case trimming because it took too long. also didnt like him putting his hand on the Lyman case deburring machine because his fingers were too close to getting cut.

              he helped with the wet tumbling, depriming/neck sizing, powder load and bullet seating.

              he kept hugging me and jumping up and down each time he pressed the grains.

              Comment

              • #22
                T19gun04
                Member
                • Dec 2013
                • 368

                That's awesome dad, wish you were mine!
                Originally posted by Snapping Twig
                Life is too short for drama queens and socialists.

                Comment

                • #23
                  DazedandConfuzed
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 566

                  My 24 yr old doesn't have his interest! My son just wants me to reload so he can go shoot em up!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    varanidguy
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • 1188

                    Originally posted by SMarquez
                    I'm using 42 of IMR4895 with Hornady 168 Gr BTHP match bullets. I used several sources to find this load. I could go to 46 but several find their best accuracy under max velocity loads.
                    I'm going to be trying 175 grain SMK's and 168 grain Hornady Match pills with AR-Comp and IMR 4064 for my next range trip in my .308 to see which gives better results.

                    I had really good results with AR-Comp (22 grains) and Hornady 68 grain BTHP match pills in my AR-15. 16" 1/7 twist shooting very decent groups with irons at 100 yards with practice. I haven't tried it with the .308 yet, only Varget which gave decent results, but AR-Comp has been performing really well so far so I think it's the powder I'm going to stick with providing it can give me good groups with the .308.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Burbur
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 1258

                      Hey, that bottle of powder looks familiar!

                      I've talked to more than a few proud dads recently, who have found a new way to connect with their boys. Keep up the good work.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        23 Blast
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 3754

                        My 6-year old has helped me make .38 Specials.

                        When he saw me later loading .45Colts, his eyes got big and he said "Are those ones for shooting bears?!?"

                        "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
                        [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          defcon
                          Vendor/Retailer
                          • Aug 2011
                          • 3006

                          Originally posted by Burbur
                          Hey, that bottle of powder looks familiar!

                          I've talked to more than a few proud dads recently, who have found a new way to connect with their boys. Keep up the good work.
                          heh thanks

                          ya ill need to pick up some powder for the AK and AR

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            SMarquez
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 2216

                            Originally posted by varanidguy
                            I'm going to be trying 175 grain SMK's and 168 grain Hornady Match pills with AR-Comp and IMR 4064 for my next range trip in my .308 to see which gives better results.

                            I had really good results with AR-Comp (22 grains) and Hornady 68 grain BTHP match pills in my AR-15. 16" 1/7 twist shooting very decent groups with irons at 100 yards with practice. I haven't tried it with the .308 yet, only Varget which gave decent results, but AR-Comp has been performing really well so far so I think it's the powder I'm going to stick with providing it can give me good groups with the .308.
                            I think I've used the same load in .223 down to the bullet. What I am finding is all the loads I play with are pretty consistent out to 100 yards. I'm shooting a 1-8" Black Hole Weaponry barrel. I really need to do some shooting at 2-300 yards.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              therealnickb
                              King- Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2011
                              • 8957

                              I don't reload so I'll ask. Is there any lead exposure concern with kids and a reloading bench?

                              If no or you've eliminated it, good job dad!

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                defcon
                                Vendor/Retailer
                                • Aug 2011
                                • 3006

                                i was taught to just wash our hands thoroughly with cold water after reloading instead of hot/warm water since that opens up the pores for the lead

                                we dont use masks for inhalation and we dont use gloves. just eye protection.

                                now that i think about it, ill have him use gloves from now on.

                                i think the seasoned pros can give a better answer

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1