Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

What is going on with my Dillon 650????

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mikeinla
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Aug 2007
    • 1916

    What is going on with my Dillon 650????

    What is going on with my Dillon 650??? I have been reloading 9mm for the last year with no problems. Now almost every round has a slight "dimple" in the primer(see pic). What is causing this??????
  • #2
    Rwnielsen
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 639

    I get the same thing on 45acp from time to time. Never really did investigate. Must have to do with the punch. Unscrew it and make sure it's clean
    NRA Lifer/Endowment/Patron Member

    Comment

    • #3
      Carsgunsandchics
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 3537

      I had the same marks from my 550b when I had a fleck of dust on the seating ram and using federal primers. Same fleck of dust didn't leave marks on CCI's.
      Originally posted by fighterpilot562
      I am more of a sucker than a blower...

      Comment

      • #4
        bruce381
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 2453

        chunk of powder stuck on primer punch clean and or polish it will be gone

        Comment

        • #5
          stilly
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2009
          • 10685

          Or you can always wash it away with tears...




          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

          Comment

          • #6
            xfer42
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Sep 2007
            • 709

            Its a speck of powder thats stuck to it. You can see it flattened out over subsequent primer seats.

            Comment

            • #7
              jericho89
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2011
              • 1129

              Ok this answer had been beaten to death... But I will add my 2 cents and say junk on your primer ram, clean it.

              Comment

              • #8
                Franksremote
                Vendor/Retailer
                • Dec 2006
                • 992

                The primer seating punch loosens over time and can get out of alignment for depth. Check the primer seating depth if it's not gunk on the top of the punch.

                Comment

                • #9
                  KeithET
                  Junior Member
                  • Mar 2008
                  • 93

                  I have had this happen from time to time on my 550. In every case its caused by powder grains or an accumulation of crud from deprimed cases getting trapped on the priming post. This stuff can make all kinds of dimples and designs on the primers. Only way to fix is to clean the post off. Cleaning the machine periodically will minimize this.

                  KeithET

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Pablo5959
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2013
                    • 1289

                    Pack up that press and send it in.
                    With there customer service, they will polish the ram for you.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      jwest
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 3958

                      To the OP - as others have stated, this is common with the Dillon presses.
                      You have to keep them clean. Even a fragment of a piece of gunpowder can cause that problem.

                      I do a couple of things - I have some LED lights that I mount on the press to always keep an eye on things; plus have some clean, dry compressed air available to occasionally clean in between major press cleanings.

                      Also, if you take the primer ram out and have a Dremel, you can briefly use one of the finer wire brush wheels to clean off the ram - does it quick.

                      HTH,
                      jwest
                      sigpic
                      "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
                      Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
                      Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
                      We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        jericho89
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2011
                        • 1129

                        Heck if you have a flaw on the ram just call Dillon, tell them your issues, and they will gladly send you what ever parts you need free of charge

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          mbauer67
                          Member
                          • Oct 2010
                          • 116

                          It's time to take the priming system apart and clean it, you have a piece of debris stuck on the punch. No big deal it's quick and easy

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            mjmagee67
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 2771

                            OK this is a simple problem, there is a piece of powder or media that gets between the primer seating ram and the primer. It might be there for a few primers then it goes away until another piece gets in there. You can use a brush to brush the shell holder or blow it out with compresses air ever few 100 rounds. Personally I don't worry about it, I've never had an issue because of it. It's no big deal. I would get the same thing on my Lee CTP every once and a while.
                            If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              Spaceghost
                              Calguns Addict
                              • May 2006
                              • 5772

                              Originally posted by jwest
                              plus have some clean, dry compressed air available to occasionally clean in between major press cleanings.


                              HTH,
                              jwest
                              This is your answer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1