Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Chargemaster or lock n load auto charge?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    30-338
    Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 218

    RCBS

    I have used one for several years and I think it is the best combo unit out now. I also did the straw mod and changed the settings and it is faster than stock. Changing settings is easy...all you are doing is adjusting the amount of weight before the next slower speed starts. It has 4 speeds total. My factory setting stopped the fastest speed 15 grains below target weight and shifted to next slower speed. All I did was change that setting to 10 grains under before it slowed down. It takes a little trial and error but there is plenty of guidance available on the net. I saw an article on 6mmbr.com here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DRJCL0D3A

    But keep in mind that you don't have to go with this approach. I have seen some very fast and accurate reloading done using a Gem Pro 250 ( 2/100's of a grain precision) using Lee spoons and trickling up to target weight

    BTW http://www.natchezss.com/catalogsear.../?q=rcbs+1500+
    has the unit for $289 and I think it also has a $50 rebate coupon

    Good luck 30-338
    Last edited by 30-338; 05-25-2015, 3:36 PM.
    και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
    Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36
    Pig Huntin'!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiHmYsyVniE
    Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs
    How to pray for the man in the White House
    Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm

    Comment

    • #17
      jpm804
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2012
      • 1609

      Originally posted by 30-338

      BTW http://www.natchezss.com/catalogsear.../?q=rcbs+1500+
      has the unit for $289 and I think it also has a $50 rebate coupon

      Good luck 30-338
      Cabelas has the chargemaster on sale for $279.99 also and $5 shipping. You need $20+ filler to get the $50 rebate, but has been the cheapest I've seen lately. Was tempted to do the eBay cabelas gift card deal also but didn't know if I would get the cards in before the sale ended.

      Also optics planet has 10% off and free shipping if you want to get the hornady auto powder charger or Lyman gen 6 unit until 5/28

      I was making the same decision also and went with the chargemaster due to standalone scale function and rebate.

      Comment

      • #18
        eric n
        Member
        • Oct 2013
        • 254

        Are mc d's straws size a regional thing? I never could get it in very well.
        Carl's fits just snug enough to spin and comes out easily for cleaning out the last few kernels.

        Comment

        • #19
          eric n
          Member
          • Oct 2013
          • 254

          Originally posted by 30-338
          I have used one for several years and I think it is the best combo unit out now. I also did the straw mod and changed the settings and it is faster than stock. Changing settings is easy...all you are doing is adjusting the amount of weight before the next slower speed starts. It has 4 speeds total. My factory setting stopped the fastest speed 15 grains below target weight and shifted to next slower speed. All I did was change that setting to 10 grains under before it slowed down. It takes a little trial and error but there is plenty of guidance available on the net. I saw an article on 6mmbr.com here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-DRJCL0D3A

          But keep in mind that you don't have to go with this approach. I have seen some very fast and accurate reloading done using a Gem Pro 250 ( 2/100's of a grain precision) using Lee spoons and trickling up to target weight

          BTW http://www.natchezss.com/catalogsear.../?q=rcbs+1500+
          has the unit for $289 and I think it also has a $50 rebate coupon

          Good luck 30-338
          Alright dude, spill the beans! How do you make the gem pro fast while trickling?

          Comment

          • #20
            Volkey
            Member
            • May 2012
            • 105

            I bought a lock and load about 3 days ago, off by .3gn either over or under on more than half of the throws it puts out. Completely unacceptable to me! I will be returning and getting another Chargemaster as I sold mine 2 years ago.

            Comment

            • #21
              BillyGoatCrawler
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • 2583

              Originally posted by Volkey
              I bought a lock and load about 3 days ago, off by .3gn either over or under on more than half of the throws it puts out. Completely unacceptable to me! I will be returning and getting another Chargemaster as I sold mine 2 years ago.
              This is my experience with the lock n load model. It over or under threw probably 50% of the time. I found that if I shimmed the feet to make it sit either canted forward or back more, that would help certain powders. But, I still found just using a manual powder throw and trickler was much more effective.

              I sold it at a big loss and have been hesitant to trust any other models.
              Kunar Prov, A'stan '08-'09, 1-26 INF

              Comment

              • #22
                acourvil
                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Mar 2010
                • 532

                Originally posted by eric n
                Are mc d's straws size a regional thing? I never could get it in very well.
                Carl's fits just snug enough to spin and comes out easily for cleaning out the last few kernels.
                There's guy on sniper's hide that sells a brass insert that does a better job than the McD straw.

                Comment

                • #23
                  klewan
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • 3031

                  Neither; use volume dispensing. Just like the bench rest shooters. Putting 25 rounds in the same hole at 200 yards is the definition of accuracy. The bench rest guys weigh the brass and bullets, but not the powder. They would if it made for better accuracy; but it don't. Learn from somebody else's experience and not reinvent the wheel....

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    eric n
                    Member
                    • Oct 2013
                    • 254

                    Thanks acourvil
                    I've seen them... The primal rights mod is the best I've used. I haven't had an overcharge in many rounds and its easier to get all the kernels out of the tube when you are done. Just throw an over charge into the pan and you are done... none of the kernels bouncing around anymore (varget)

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      roc_my_tims
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2011
                      • 1529

                      Haha i called cabelas and they told me they could not let me know when the sale ends. Its proprietary information. What a joke.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Volkey
                        Member
                        • May 2012
                        • 105

                        Just get it off Natchez right now. 289 and a 50 dollar off rebate. Ordered one last night.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          jpm804
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2012
                          • 1609

                          Originally posted by roc_my_tims
                          Haha i called cabelas and they told me they could not let me know when the sale ends. Its proprietary information. What a joke.
                          That sucks .... It would have been nice to combine that GC deal ... Also that rebate offer ends June 1st so that is something you will need to think about if you want to get in on that offer also.

                          Originally posted by Volkey
                          Just get it off Natchez right now. 289 and a 50 dollar off rebate. Ordered one last night.
                          I was thinking of getting it off Natchez but shipping with Natchez was $20+ ... At cabelas it was $279 and $5 shipping. I was able to get in when they had free shipping so saved me $5 also ..

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            roc_my_tims
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 1529

                            The rebate offer will continue im sure. It has for a long time.

                            I missed the free and the $5 shipping. Dont know if ill pay the $20 at natchez. I could go a little longer without it.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              C.G.
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 8251

                              No problem with my Chargemaster and I only did the straw mod, no re-programming. As to the Lock'n Load they had some problems when they first came out, at least as reported on the internet, not sure if they were sorted out or not.
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Pauliedad
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Dec 2012
                                • 2095

                                Chargemaster with the fat straw is the way to go. I got two now and can really get rolling while staying accurate.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1