Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dillon 650 vs Dillon Super 1050

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    GW
    I need a LIFE!!
    • May 2004
    • 16078

    Originally posted by ar15barrels
    1050's are best when dedicated to a single cartridge.
    The built in swager makes it so you don't need t sort your brass to find the crimped ones and fix them before loading.
    You can go from the ground to the tumbler to the press without handling every case.

    A 650 is better if you want to use it to load different cartridges.
    Thanks for that information
    Currently I have a pair of 650's both are still set up in.223 from a reloading party a while back. The built in swager for the 1050 looks like a real timesaver. The plan, if I do it, will be to sell off one of the 650's to provide space and funding for the 1050 and keep the other 650 for everything else while keeping the 1050 as a .223 generator.
    Hmmm...

    Is the 1050 taller than a 650 with casefeeder on a strong mount?
    There is a height limitation in my shed as well.
    sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

    Comment

    • #17
      rockman
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2010
      • 1148

      Originally posted by oldtrucks
      Given the choice I'd buy a second 650. Set one up for small primers and one for large. Keep a separate tool head to mount a case trimmer in and then get the swager that goes in the primer insert spot and you can process on one and load on the other.
      This is the best idea so far!
      LIFE IS SHORT,DEATH IS FOREVER,SO RELAX AND ENJOY THE RIDE!

      Comment

      • #18
        ar15barrels
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Jan 2006
        • 57182

        Originally posted by GW
        Thanks for that information
        Currently I have a pair of 650's both are still set up in.223 from a reloading party a while back. The built in swager for the 1050 looks like a real timesaver. The plan, if I do it, will be to sell off one of the 650's to provide space and funding for the 1050 and keep the other 650 for everything else while keeping the 1050 as a .223 generator.
        Hmmm...

        Is the 1050 taller than a 650 with casefeeder on a strong mount?
        There is a height limitation in my shed as well.
        I had a pair of 550's and a pair of 650's when I got my first 1050.
        I set it up for 223 specifically for the swager.
        I later added a second 1050 for 9mm.
        9mm and 223 are my two high volume cartridges.
        Everything else gets loaded on 550's as they are so much faster to swap toolheads on.
        I kept a 650 just for processing 223 brass.
        Randall Rausch

        AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
        Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
        Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
        Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
        Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

        Comment

        • #19
          GW
          I need a LIFE!!
          • May 2004
          • 16078

          Originally posted by ar15barrels
          I had a pair of 550's and a pair of 650's when I got my first 1050.
          I set it up for 223 specifically for the swager.
          I later added a second 1050 for 9mm.
          9mm and 223 are my two high volume cartridges.
          Everything else gets loaded on 550's as they are so much faster to swap toolheads on.
          I kept a 650 just for processing 223 brass.
          Have you had any/many breakdowns or part failures on the 1050's?
          Do the 1050's come "plug and play like the Square Deals?
          Is the 1050 taller than a 650 with casefeeder on a strong mount?

          Thanks again
          sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

          Comment

          • #20
            ar15barrels
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2006
            • 57182

            Originally posted by GW
            Have you had any/many breakdowns or part failures on the 1050's?
            Do the 1050's come "plug and play like the Square Deals?
            Is the 1050 taller than a 650 with casefeeder on a strong mount?

            Thanks again
            The only problems I have had on a 1050 were mostly related to media falling in the mechanism and jamming up the primer slide and the machine just being generally gunked up.
            This was a 20+yr old 1050 though and it had never been serviced.
            I sent it back to Dillon and they went through it for around $120 and it's been perfect ever since.
            My newer 1050 (maybe 12yrs old now) has not had any problems.

            I bought both my 1050's used so I had to swap out conversion parts/dies.
            I don't know how the new ones ship.
            I specifically wanted the old machines with the shorter stroke as the shorter stroke 1050's (NON-SUPER 1050's) have a stronger cam and smoother movement due to the shorter stroke.
            Everyone I know that has both super 1050's and older 1050's prefers the older ones.

            I don't have a strong mount for my 650 because I built my bench tall enough to not need strong mounts.
            Here is a picture of a non-strong-mount 650 next to the 1050's:

            Last edited by ar15barrels; 03-22-2015, 10:20 PM.
            Randall Rausch

            AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
            Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
            Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
            Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
            Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

            Comment

            • #21
              GW
              I need a LIFE!!
              • May 2004
              • 16078

              Originally posted by oldtrucks
              Given the choice I'd buy a second 650. Set one up for small primers and one for large. Keep a separate tool head to mount a case trimmer in and then get the swager that goes in the primer insert spot and you can process on one and load on the other.
              What is this swager you speak of?
              Who makes it?
              You may have solved a problem for me!
              sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

              Comment

              • #22
                oldtrucks
                Member
                • Jan 2009
                • 163

                Originally posted by GW
                What is this swager you speak of?
                Who makes it?
                You may have solved a problem for me!
                GS Custom sells on eBay, current listing; http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-S-Custom-p...item339f6a46f5

                And here is one review from CalGuns; http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=807271

                Comment

                • #23
                  ar15barrels
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 57182

                  Originally posted by GW
                  What is this swager you speak of?
                  Who makes it?
                  You may have solved a problem for me!
                  The GS custom swager is a poor solution to crimed primer pockets.
                  If you happen to distort your frame using it, Dillon will fight you on replacing the frame as they have previously said NOT to use the GS swager as it will distort the press frame...
                  Randall Rausch

                  AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
                  Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
                  Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
                  Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
                  Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    oldtrucks
                    Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 163

                    Originally posted by ar15barrels
                    The GS custom swager is a poor solution to crimed primer pockets.
                    If you happen to distort your frame using it
                    I think it's an incredibly effective and simple solution and Dillon probably wishes they thought of it first. I have never experienced any unusual stress using it, and actually feel it takes less stress than seating some primers. Just my personal experience speaking that seems to be backed up by several thousand other happy users.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      JackRydden224
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 7229

                      This is a good thread with some useful info since I'm in a similar situation.

                      I will end up with the 1050 to load 45 ACP because it has the build in swagger. It will save me so much time from sorting brass. Time is money. I will also buy a 650 to load 9mm. Out all all the range brass I might run into 1 crimped primer pocket for every 200 rounds.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Lead Waster
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 16650

                        I'm too far invested in two 550bs, one with a casefeeder (a questionable "improvement" on a 550b).

                        But do you have a bullet feeder on your 650 as well as the casefeeder?
                        ==================

                        sigpic


                        Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                        Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                        There. Are. Four. Lights!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Spaceghost
                          Calguns Addict
                          • May 2006
                          • 5772

                          If you are talking the pic AR15 posted, that is a dillon trimmer with a vacuum sucking out the brass trimmings.

                          Originally posted by Lead Waster
                          I'm too far invested in two 550bs, one with a casefeeder (a questionable "improvement" on a 550b).

                          But do you have a bullet feeder on your 650 as well as the casefeeder?

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            JMP
                            Internet Warrior
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Feb 2012
                            • 17056

                            I have a 650 and it is nice to have for loading plinking ammo, but even that is overkill for me. I spend 99% of my reloading time on my single stages. I run the 650 a few times a year when I have gone through a few ammo cans of 9mm/45ACP/223. Unless you are a commercial reloader, you must shoot A LOT to require more capacity than a 650. Unless you are truly running the 650 to capacity, I can't see getting a 1050. As mentioned above, the 1050 makes more sense if you need to churn out enormous batches of a single cartridge.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Corbin Dallas
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • May 2006
                              • 6369

                              Originally posted by GW
                              If one owns a 650 is there any strong reason to upgrade to a 1050?

                              Efficiency? speed?
                              The built in swager on the 1050 is nice but $700 or so worth of nice?

                              The 650 is covered by the No BS warranty and conversion kits are significantly cheaper.

                              So major cool factor aside, is there a good reason to upgrade

                              I reload maybe 5-7K rounds of various caliber per year.

                              Discuss.

                              I have both. For what you're describing there is no need to get a 1050.

                              Stick with the 650 and you'll do fine. I load your yearly quantities over the weekend on my 650.
                              NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

                              WTB the following - in San Diego
                              --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
                              --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

                              Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Corbin Dallas
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • May 2006
                                • 6369

                                Originally posted by JackRydden224
                                This is a good thread with some useful info since I'm in a similar situation.

                                I will end up with the 1050 to load 45 ACP because it has the build in swagger. It will save me so much time from sorting brass. Time is money. I will also buy a 650 to load 9mm. Out all all the range brass I might run into 1 crimped primer pocket for every 200 rounds.

                                You are wasting money on a 1050 to swage less than 5% of available 45ACP brass.

                                You can do it all on a 650 and you really don't need to swage 45ACP.
                                NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor: Pistol - Rifle - Shotgun - PPITH - PPOTH - NRA Certified RSO

                                WTB the following - in San Diego
                                --Steyr M357A1 357SIG
                                --Five Seven IOM (round trigger guard)

                                Never forget - השואה... לעולם לא עוד.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1