Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dummy mistakes reloading today...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    varanidguy
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2014
    • 1188

    Originally posted by stilly
    Yeah Okay I am done reading this thread now...

    Comment

    • #32
      JTROKS
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2007
      • 13093

      Originally posted by stilly
      Yeah Okay I am done reading this thread now...
      LOL
      The wise man said just find your place
      In the eye of the storm
      Seek the roses along the way
      Just beware of the thorns...
      K. Meine

      Comment

      • #33
        Enfield47
        Calguns Addict
        • Sep 2012
        • 6385

        Originally posted by stilly
        Yeah, Great post... Woohoo, let's give folks fodder for me now...

        So anyways, here is another contribution (do I get extra points for two mistakes?) that I had tonight.

        I halted all of my PC operations and got out the Lee pro 420 and heated it up. Turns out that part of my job is to melt some boolits down and remake some more but a lot lighter. So I got everything turned on and I put all of the bullets into the 420 and then proceeded to group and separate others that were with this bunch that I had. I started hearing the rain (kinda sounded like rain) fall, like a drop here and there like but I looked up and was like, hmm, I guess we will see rain tonight after all...

        Then I start to smell smoke, a LOT of it. So I turn around in my chair and I immediately remembered what I had forgot to do- Close the valve on my 420... Damn near caught my bench on fire. about 45 minutes later I just finished pounding on it to cut this huge chunk of lead and I about flattened the left side; oops... I think it will survive but it took a lot of whacks with the mallet tonight... The valve is now closed. :\

        I know I know, pics or it didn't happen...







        Oh man, glad you were able to catch it in time before burning the house down!

        Comment

        • #34
          stilly
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2009
          • 10685

          Yeah me too. I feel sorry for the 420 cause it got beat up, but oh well. The smoke went out the vent in the roof (glad I installed one) and I was casting until about 3:00 in the morning, then switched over to empty the pot and put everything away and started PCing all that I casted... Now I got about 600 more boolits to PC before I am done and can get back to reloading.
          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

          Comment

          • #35
            Toolbox X
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2005
            • 2602

            My 45ACP rounds started getting stuck in the chamber. The backs of the cases were too wide. I haven't touched my .45ACP Dillon tool head in many years. Upon inspection, over thousands of rounds the resizing die had worked its way up so it was not resizing the entire case. Lesson learned.

            Comment

            • #36
              stilly
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jul 2009
              • 10685

              Originally posted by Toolbox X
              My 45ACP rounds started getting stuck in the chamber. The backs of the cases were too wide. I haven't touched my .45ACP Dillon tool head in many years. Upon inspection, over thousands of rounds the resizing die had worked its way up so it was not resizing the entire case. Lesson learned.
              That is interesting becaue I have found several of my 230gr loads were like that. They will not let the gun go into battery... Somehow they must have slipped by me.
              7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

              Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



              And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

              Comment

              • #37
                Capybara
                CGSSA Coordinator
                CGN Contributor
                • Feb 2012
                • 15627

                Bows to Stilly. Winning.
                NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                sigpic

                Comment

                • #38
                  BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 7079

                  420 and smoke. Getting my suspicions up Stilly
                  "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    XxWoodsHunterxX
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009
                    • 1698

                    Originally posted by Toolbox X
                    My 45ACP rounds started getting stuck in the chamber. The backs of the cases were too wide. I haven't touched my .45ACP Dillon tool head in many years. Upon inspection, over thousands of rounds the resizing die had worked its way up so it was not resizing the entire case. Lesson learned.
                    That's where a random case check would have done you good. I always do a check maybe every 50-100 rounds

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      BigBronco also not a Cabinetguy
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 7079

                      Not sure if it is a mistake or not just yet.

                      Let me explain. I bought 700 rounds of 45 ACP reloads, (Home Grown) from an Estate. Gonna pull them all for components. Wonder just how many bullet pullers I will break in the process? Now If they all pull down with no squibs or double charges. Will it have been a mistake to pull them apart? That's the question of the evening gentlemen. All boxes are well marked with the load data. I should be able to recover all the components.

                      I will report the results in about a month. Not doing 700 pulls in a day or two, or a week or two for that matter. Just a box here and a box there.
                      "Life is a long song" Jethro Tull

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        varanidguy
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2014
                        • 1188

                        Originally posted by BigBronco
                        Not sure if it is a mistake or not just yet.

                        Let me explain. I bought 700 rounds of 45 ACP reloads, (Home Grown) from an Estate. Gonna pull them all for components. Wonder just how many bullet pullers I will break in the process? Now If they all pull down with no squibs or double charges. Will it have been a mistake to pull them apart? That's the question of the evening gentlemen. All boxes are well marked with the load data. I should be able to recover all the components.

                        I will report the results in about a month. Not doing 700 pulls in a day or two, or a week or two for that matter. Just a box here and a box there.
                        In my opinion, no that would not be a mistake. Even if they turn out to all be 100% perfect, how would you know without pulling them? It's a Schrodinger's Cat type of deal.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1