Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question About Remi UMC Ammo - 'Nickel' Plated?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jwest
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 3958

    Question About Remi UMC Ammo - 'Nickel' Plated?

    On Natchez's site - says this:



    Look at the description - I have shot these before - definitely wasn't nickel plated - has something changed?
    sigpic
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
    Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
    Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
    We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.
  • #2
    bruce381
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 2453

    so when you bought them they were brass now nickel ah so what companies can change sepcs, boxes etc as they wish

    Comment

    • #3
      fguffey
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2010
      • 1408

      Look at the description - I have shot these before - definitely wasn't nickel plated - has something changed?
      UMC, Union Metallic Cartridge, then they became Remington. the ammo listed is new, could be anything.



      F. Guffey

      Comment

      • #4
        74c5
        Member
        • Sep 2011
        • 323

        Nickle plated brass cases have been around for many years. I have thousands in the garage. Nickle plated steel may be emerging to keep costs down. A nickle strike(0.003 in thick) on steel might be easier than on brass. I'd have to check a book I don't have right now.

        Comment

        • #5
          stilly
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2009
          • 10685

          Brass is the new nickel...

          Deal with it!







          Besides, Aint brass better than Nickel since it holds it shape better and does not spring back as much nor get brittle as fast?

          DEAL WITH IT!
          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

          Comment

          • #6
            JTROKS
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2007
            • 13093

            Nickel plated brass is good. They don't oxidize like regular brass. They are also sealed a plus for longer shelf life.

            Manufacturers can change components.
            The wise man said just find your place
            In the eye of the storm
            Seek the roses along the way
            Just beware of the thorns...
            K. Meine

            Comment

            • #7
              jwest
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 3958

              So, IOW, none of you have bought this recently.

              Thanks.
              sigpic
              "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
              Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
              Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
              We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.

              Comment

              • #8
                Twystd1
                Superfluous
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2009
                • 2692

                I've had problems with .357 Mag nickel plated brass splitting LONG before standard brass starts going south.

                I have had Plated brass crack after 1 reload with a relatively stout load for my .357 lever guns.

                I can get between 4 and 5 loads with brass using the exact same loads.

                I give the nickel plated brass away to my friends. Me no likey.

                -T

                Comment

                • #9
                  jwest
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 3958

                  Hello Twystd1 - I have had similar experience - I prefer not to use it as well.
                  sigpic
                  "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --- Benjamin Franklin
                  Freedom isn't free. Read the Declaration of Independence everyday - it'll keep the New World Order away.
                  Quote: Army: "Your ignorant liberal puke rhetoric is tiresome."
                  We live in a society of extreme behavior with no electronic self control.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Wrangler John
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 1799

                    As I recall it, cartridge brass was nickel plated to resist corrosion. That green layer of corrosion known as verdigris would develop on copper and brass cased ammunition stored in leather belt loops and cartridge boxes. It could also develop in humid climates or in the presence of acidic packaging materials such as cardboard or paper. Leather gun belts with exposed cartridge loops are ideal for forming verdigris corrosion on unplated brass or copper ammunition cases. Leather is tanned with various acidic chemicals, is porous and can absorb moisture from exposure to weather and sweat. Being worn as an article of clothing also exposes it to body heat, a major factor in accelerating corrosion. A thick build-up of verdigris on brass can result in the cartridges being difficult to remove from the holder, and be difficult to chamber.

                    On my shelf is a leather cartridge slide containing 12 loops for the .480 Ruger. It has been carrying 12 factory loaded Federal Vital-Shok nickel plated .480 Ruger cartridges loaded with the Barnes 275 grain Expander bullets, and sealed primers. These cartridges have been sitting for about a decade exposed to the leather with no corrosion of the cases evident, and only a small black mark can be found on the all-copper bullets where they made contact with the leather.

                    In the past, when I loaded my duty belt with .357 Magnum Super Vel ammo in brass cases they would turn green within a few months, which is why I switched to speed loaders. The department I worked for required replacing all ammo after six-months, regardless of brand, to better ensure chambering and reliability.

                    Nickel plated cases were designed to prevent corrosion in combat ammunition where first firing reliability is crucial, and in ammunition that will be used in severe conditions. Nickel plated brass also remains cleaner and less prone to embed grit when it is reloaded. I have great results with a batch of Remington 7mm Remington Magnum nickel plated cases. Then there are the .45 ACP nickel plated cases that have been reloaded so many times that the nickel is nearly worn through. I have no qualms about using nickel cases.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Carcassonne
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2012
                      • 4897

                      Originally posted by jwest
                      On Natchez's site - says this:



                      Look at the description - I have shot these before - definitely wasn't nickel plated - has something changed?

                      Natchez made a mistake. They probably copied and pasted the info from another Remington product.

                      Some of Remington UMC 50 round boxes of 9mm have/had nickel plated brass. I do not know about 40S&W.

                      Natchez is out of stock on that 250 pack of 40S&W. Sinclair has the same thing in stock for a lot less: $108 -vs- $86. Sinclair is the same company as Brownell's.







                      .
                      Last edited by Carcassonne; 03-03-2015, 10:17 AM.
                      Be sure to ask your doctor if depression, rectal bleeding, and suicide are right for you.

                      In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

                      I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      UA-8071174-1