Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

New PC Build, but need help in East Bay

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Diesel-Gunner
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 1044

    New PC Build, but need help in East Bay

    Hey guys,

    I think I have taken this as far as I feel comfortable going.

    I built a new rig, details are as follows:

    Thermaltake mid size case
    ASUS Z97-AR MB
    NVidia Geforce GTX770 Card
    32GB Ram
    SSD 250 GB HD for Operating System
    7200 RPM 2TB drive for storage and anything else
    Processor- Intel I7 -4790K
    Windows 7 64bit


    The problem is when I transfer large files like my pictures or music from my backup SSD (USB input) to my storage HD (2TB) everything locks up until the transfer is complete.
    Startup is no issue, about 6 seconds from windows logo.
    When I am storing any downloads from an online source, it take about 5-7 seconds for the HD to start up and everything locks up there too.

    I have made very minor adjustments in the BIOS but I am at the point now where I dont want to screw anything up...

    Anyone want to come by and tinker with it to see if I did something wrong?
    Of course you will be compensated in ammo or cash.
    Last edited by Diesel-Gunner; 10-26-2014, 5:11 PM.
    Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless

    Originally posted by L84CABO

    Any thoughts or advice appreciated. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
    Originally posted by dalriaden
    Never ask what else can go wrong. Life takes it as a dare.
  • #2
    SMR510
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
    • Nov 2008
    • 883

    My guess would be that you missed a driver along the way. Open device manager and see if there are any with the warning symbol next to them.

    Comment

    • #3
      spyde12
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2014
      • 1647

      By any chance, is there some kind of real-time scanning going on? One way to isolate is to boot into safe mode and transfer a large file. If it doesn't lock up, then it's a service that runs during a normal boot.

      Comment

      • #4
        Diesel-Gunner
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2010
        • 1044

        Thanks for the info so far guys.

        SMR510 there are no warning symbols in device manager and after checking each item, I am up to date on all drivers.

        spyde12 I will do that now and get back to you. Thanks
        Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless

        Originally posted by L84CABO

        Any thoughts or advice appreciated. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
        Originally posted by dalriaden
        Never ask what else can go wrong. Life takes it as a dare.

        Comment

        • #5
          Diesel-Gunner
          Senior Member
          • Jun 2010
          • 1044

          11GB transfer in safe mode worked without issue. No freeze. Where do I go from here?
          Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless

          Originally posted by L84CABO

          Any thoughts or advice appreciated. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
          Originally posted by dalriaden
          Never ask what else can go wrong. Life takes it as a dare.

          Comment

          • #6
            stilly
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jul 2009
            • 10685

            And here I was gonna say that it was the fact that you only put in 32 MB of RAM...

            I SAID IT FIRST!

            Okay now seriously. The fact that it works FINE in safe mode vs regular mode usually means it is a DRIVER issue. I would start by checking out the drivers and seeing if there are BETTER ones, Maybe not newer, but BETTER ones. Maybe you have a better chipset driver you could use.

            OR, find out what drivers get used for safe mode and start swapping out drivers to see what is causing it.

            THAT is what i would do, lemme poke around a bit...

            Hmmm, Okay, seems like a crap shoot, BUT, did you test your RAM yet? I have issues transferring large amounts of files over USB, but then again, I have a sata to usb adapter and burn blur-rays all the time for data storage.

            No freezes over here, yet.
            Last edited by stilly; 10-26-2014, 4:24 PM.
            7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

            Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



            And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

            Comment

            • #7
              Diesel-Gunner
              Senior Member
              • Jun 2010
              • 1044

              OK stilly... I will blame the mis-spelling on the keyboard driver. I read over that post three times too before I sent it.

              Anyway, I found out that only 16GB of RAM is being used due to the windows 7
              Home Edition. So it states 32GB RAM (16 Usable)

              I will start testing out drivers next. I don't want to, but it sounds like that is the next step.
              Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless

              Originally posted by L84CABO

              Any thoughts or advice appreciated. I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
              Originally posted by dalriaden
              Never ask what else can go wrong. Life takes it as a dare.

              Comment

              • #8
                stilly
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2009
                • 10685

                Originally posted by Diesel-Gunner
                OK stilly... I will blame the mis-spelling on the keyboard driver. I read over that post three times too before I sent it.

                Anyway, I found out that only 16GB of RAM is being used due to the windows 7
                Home Edition. So it states 32GB RAM (16 Usable)

                I will start testing out drivers next. I don't want to, but it sounds like that is the next step.
                I mean testing your RAM with MEMTEST386.

                You should not rule that out just yet. Let it test your ram all the way through for a few passes.

                Sometimes that is teh culprit when it is nothing else and it sneaks up on us all when we are not paying attention.
                7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                Comment

                • #9
                  SMR510
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 883

                  Check bios and motherboard drivers. Is the USB port that the storage drive is plugged into on the I/O or on the case? Have you tried another port? Could that drive be damaged?

                  Its a very odd problem you are having, can't say I have seen this issue before but I only built around 5 PCs so...

                  I did do a quick google and didn't find anything that stand out. It could be some stupid program running in the backround, a bad driver or bios, bad drive, bad USB port. Some of those don't make sense with the Safe mode test but could that have been a fluke?

                  Here is another person that had a similar issue but unfortunately no resolution http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...4-d5d9a30625b1

                  I would investigate the drives first, both the internal and external one and make sure they are working properly. Work back from there from the easiest to the most difficult.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    spyde12
                    Senior Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • 1647

                    Originally posted by Diesel-Gunner
                    11GB transfer in safe mode worked without issue. No freeze. Where do I go from here?
                    I'm still leaning on a real-time scanner as being the root cause. Did you try going into msconfig?

                    Click Start.
                    In the search bar, type "msconfig" without the double quotes.
                    Click the Services tab.
                    Click the box, "Hide all Microsoft Services"
                    Evaluate any services that state, "Running" under the "Status" bar.
                    What services appear on this list as "Running"?
                    Then go to the Startup tab.
                    What items have a check beside it under the "Startup Item" bar?

                    I work for a software company and our application streams down files to the local machine. There have been multiple occasions in which our customers state that our program is hanging, only to find out that Kaspersky, etc is performing a real-time scan. Just my opinion. Hopefully this helps.

                    Edit:
                    I forgot to mention, the reason I had you boot into safe mode was to force your system to load the "basics" in order to operate. Since the system works fine in safe mode, I think it's safe to say that the drivers you have for the system are fine. On the other hand, if you have other services that run in normal mode (webcam, audio devices, etc), it's possible that one of those 3rd-party drivers is causing a conflict.
                    Last edited by spyde12; 10-26-2014, 9:03 PM.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Brob
                      Junior Member
                      • Sep 2014
                      • 35

                      Make sure there is nothing made by Symantec running.. utter and complete garbage that bogs down any system.

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        stilly
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 10685

                        Ya know what? It would be interesting to see if OP can boot up with knoppix or some LIVE Linux distro and move files back and forth with the same issue.

                        I say LIVE distro because you would boot from a CD without committing to anything.

                        Else it would be good to be able to monitor things (like with task manager open to performance or processes) and see what taxes the CPU when this happens.

                        That HAS to be it. Find what is taxing the CPU and see if there is a better version of it. :\
                        7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                        Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                        And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          stilly
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 10685

                          What was it?

                          OP became frustrated and left?
                          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            bandook
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 1220

                            Nah! I think he deleted the network driver...

                            IMO he should reset the BIOS to factory settings and re-try.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              the86d
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2011
                              • 9587

                              Chipset driver from MFR, or default Windows drivers?

                              Windows updates current (including service pack), or just drivers updated?

                              What SSD make & model?

                              How much cache is on that 2TB drive model?

                              Put a big files on both drives, and copy to a different folder on the same drive (at different times per drive).
                              See if one or the other is the bottleneck, separately?

                              +1 to no Symantec*.
                              Last edited by the86d; 11-09-2014, 5:32 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1