Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Who has a Google Nexus 7 and has "battery" issues w/no powering up?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • stilly
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jul 2009
    • 10685

    Who has a Google Nexus 7 and has "battery" issues w/no powering up?

    Funny, My GN7 1stgen 16GB seemed like it would NOT charge the other night/day week. And it went to sleep and did NOT wake up. I even spend the money for a damn official DOCK for it.

    NO DICE, I plugged it in, docked it in, NOTHING. I plugged the cable in- NOTHING.

    Bad battery right?

    Last week my girlfriend's did the same thing, kinda, she charged it overnight and in the morning it refused to boot up/turn on. She was mad and started talking smack on how cheap they are.

    SO, I JUST put in an offer for $25 each for two GOOD batteries from fleabay...

    And I pried mine and hers open to have a look. I unplugged the battery in each one and either swapped them ona ccident or not, I honestly forgot, but I thought, Hey I wonder... and I plugged them in one last time to have a look. MINE powered on and booted and told me it had 5% left. SO I docked it (without the back cover) and no dice, but when I plugged in the cable it said it was charging...

    I plugged in her battery and it was at a 68% charge (been in standby for about a week or at least 5 days?). Hers fired up as well.

    I am scratching my head over this. Are these defective batteries or is there just a bug in them that EVERY NOW AND THEN they need a kick in the pants and a hard REBOOT to get them going? I am going to go check mine in a few minutes. If I see it has over 15% battery then I will be thrilled.

    Anyways, just lettin yall know...
    7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

    Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



    And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
  • #2
    pitbull30
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • 3053

    Reset it. This may sound dumb but hold the power button down as long as you can. It will power up. I had to hold mine down about 30-45 seconds before it woke up.

    Google around a bit and you will see others saying they did the same "reset" to wake up an unresponsive nexus.
    Last edited by pitbull30; 09-02-2014, 8:15 AM.

    Comment

    • #3
      crufflers
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jul 2011
      • 12723

      Originally posted by stilly
      Funny, My GN7 1stgen 16GB seemed like it would NOT charge the other night/day week. And it went to sleep and did NOT wake up. I even spend the money for a damn official DOCK for it.

      NO DICE, I plugged it in, docked it in, NOTHING. I plugged the cable in- NOTHING.
      I have one of the same models. The only issue I had like that was a faulty charge cable that had to be jiggled to work. Plug it in to charge with your cable(s) and move them around a bit to see if the charge indicator disappears. Replace the cable. Since you have the dock, another possibility is that the tablet's charge port is damaged, but the cords are so cheap that most likely that's what would become intermittently bad.

      The charge port is pretty flimsy and the socket can be repositioned by bending it to center if needed.

      Comment

      • #4
        CalNRA
        Calguns Addict
        • Apr 2006
        • 8686

        yeah after using the nexus for a few years now, I'm going back to Ipads for the next tablet. Too many issues and had to wipe my nexus numerous times to get rid of the battery drain problem.
        Originally posted by cvigue
        This is not rocket surgery.

        Comment

        • #5
          cliffv
          Member
          • Nov 2011
          • 180

          I've had the same issues with my first generation Nexus also. Sometimes I have to hold down the power button for 30 seconds to a minute to get it to boot up. It doesn't happen all of the time but when it does I start bugging my wife for a upgrade to the second gen with 4G .

          Cliff

          Comment

          • #6
            stilly
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jul 2009
            • 10685

            Well this is comforting to know.

            I am typically very good with cables and all. My latest cable is a 6' microUSB that I got from MONOPRICE for around $1.xx

            I had only EVER had to hold the power button in for 5 or so seconds. I guess I will hold it in for a lot longer next time. Crazy this stuff...
            7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

            Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



            And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

            Comment

            • #7
              plan-b
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 680

              You might also have luck by plugging it into a USB port on a computer. Sometimes that jumpstarts it after an overnight charge.

              Comment

              • #8
                stilly
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2009
                • 10685

                Originally posted by plan-b
                You might also have luck by plugging it into a USB port on a computer. Sometimes that jumpstarts it after an overnight charge.
                Thanks. I will keep that in mind. Next time it happens, It will make its rounds in all kinds of slots...
                7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                Comment

                • #9
                  _TomT_
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2013
                  • 3354

                  Mine works just fine.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    the86d
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jul 2011
                    • 9591

                    My lady has a Nexus4, and had similar issues like 3 times, I think until her last update.

                    Is the cable loose in the microUSB (and thus not making a connection to the board)?
                    (Check by leveraging it down and see if you get a charge light, then try up to see if it is getting a charge light to light up, if it has one...).

                    I have seen connectors that have worn (by being pulled with the cable plugged in) more open so it took leaning it up or down to charge. The flange that keeps pressure on the pins when plugged in was bent to not allow either a pressure-fit (if you will) connection, or the was a solder-point that was busted on the board. My friend replaced her G2, but I told her to not be so rough with the connection when it's plugged in (it was probably sat-on or something dropped on it when it was plugged in).

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      stilly
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 10685

                      Originally posted by _TomT_
                      Mine works just fine.
                      You just jinxed yourself. Sorry man, don't wanna be around you when I have my nexus with me...

                      :O


                      If you have not then good for you and I hope it does not happen, but my dad just bought a gen 1 nexus off ebay for THIS EXACT REASON. Except he got a better deal then me on it, he got a nexus with the original and a new battery, a case, a stylus, and a dock and cable and it was the 32GB gen 1.
                      It was owned for 18 months and in immaculate condition but supposedly "went to sleep" and did not wake up.
                      He paid after shipping, $56.xx

                      When he brought it over, I held in the power button for about 15 seconds and the thing turned right on and has been running ever since. Bo y you should have seen his face light up...


                      Mr 86d: The cables always seem a TAD loose, but I dunno if I ever really saw the charge symbol (huge lightning bolt) unless it was charging and I hit the power button to turn it on. Now though ti was charged over 60% and it just failed to turn on again, I SWEAR that I held the power button on for like a minute, but I will try again.

                      This is crazy though, our batteries are FINE but next time I will have a closer look at the charging port, perhaps a pin broke and scraped across shorting it out so that it failed to turn on? I dunno. I will have a closer look next time I have them with the back covers off.
                      7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                      Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                      And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        sean5063
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • 1008

                        I've had this happen to mine before. Mine just turned out to be a loose battery cable. Ask I did was pry the backplate open and pushed the cable that is connect to the motherboard from the battery in as much as I could. It turned on right away. Search youtube and you'll find some videos.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1