Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Aftermarket CPU Heatsink results.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    ulv
    Member
    • Dec 2010
    • 184

    Originally posted by paul0660
    Well obtused.
    cool and relevant

    Originally posted by NorCal Einstein
    Eh, 5 minutes of OCCT/LinX/IBT/Prime95 isn't enough. Every new system I build gets subjected to 12 hours of Prime95 and 50 successful passes of LinX.

    On Intel i7 920/930 chips with high end air coolers (Thermalright), that ends up sitting around 70-80C. Good enough to be used as a space heater for a room, or to warm up a egg nicely! hahaha
    When I first built the system in april or so (I made another thread there) I did a prime burnin overnight to make sure it was stable. This time around I just did a quickie because I've never taken any before/after results lol.

    Originally posted by JDay
    What was the point of that, you're just wasting watts and generating excess heat when idle.

    cn'q has caused some issues in the past with overclocking- not properly adjusting the multiplier back. Ill turn it on this time around and see if all is well.

    Comment

    • #17
      thevic
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 1910

      I havent built a pc in years. I am still on an opteron 165/DFI mobo. With 2 gigs of ram and a radeon hd4500's or something hah. Maybe I'll build a new one for BF3
      Victor M.

      Spartan Precision Rifles 07 FFL/SOT
      Caldwell, ID

      Comment

      • #18
        bartt
        Member
        • Feb 2009
        • 179

        One thing no one mentioned is optimizing the heatsink to cpu interface.
        You need to polish the heatsink until it's like a mirror to get the best heat transfer. Go thru 400, 600, and 1000 grit wetndry paper on a glass plate then use rubbing compound and buff it up. Then apply a really good silver compound and mount it.
        You will get better results than using the heatsink out of the box.
        HTH..

        Comment

        • #19
          resident-shooter
          Banned
          • Sep 2009
          • 2777

          Aight, just tested with Prime95 and getting 54-55 degrees with stock heatsink and 100% load

          Comment

          • #20
            JDay
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Nov 2008
            • 19393

            Originally posted by bartt
            One thing no one mentioned is optimizing the heatsink to cpu interface.
            You need to polish the heatsink until it's like a mirror to get the best heat transfer. Go thru 400, 600, and 1000 grit wetndry paper on a glass plate then use rubbing compound and buff it up. Then apply a really good silver compound and mount it.
            You will get better results than using the heatsink out of the box.
            HTH..
            If you're going to do that you need to lap both the CPU and the heatsink so that they are perfectly flat. Once this is done you do not need any thermal interface material since there will be no microscopic gaps between the CPU and heatsink. In most cases this is not really worth the trouble.
            Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

            The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

            Comment

            • #21
              resident-shooter
              Banned
              • Sep 2009
              • 2777

              why polish when thermal gel does all the work of transfering the heat???

              Comment

              • #22
                rero360
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 3926

                Originally posted by JDay
                You must have one of the rare good units. I've read a lot about them failing in a matter of weeks due to weak pumps.
                I guess so, I think its one of the original blue ones. When I first got it the pump was completely silent, it does make some noise now, 6 years later, but the rest of the computer is still louder, which is pretty darn quiet.

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1