Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Is free antivirus just as good?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    StephenhDMRS
    Member
    • Mar 2010
    • 295

    I deal with this a lot and yes it does work just as well as paid versions. In fact one of the major anti-virus companies(name escapes me at the moment) for medium/large businesses released an update that deleted a part of the registry that was essential for windows to run... Go figure.

    Our IT department has us use free versions and I find they work just as well as Norton and such. Paid versions are just at risk of ruining things as free versions are. Stick with the listed ones above and you should be fine.

    Comment

    • #17
      i1800collect
      Senior Member
      • Mar 2009
      • 1814

      Originally posted by StephenhDMRS
      In fact one of the major anti-virus companies(name escapes me at the moment) for medium/large businesses released an update that deleted a part of the registry that was essential for windows to run... Go figure.
      That was McAfee. The update misidentified svchost.exe as a virus and instructed McAfee to delete it, which caused a lot of machines running Windows to completely fail.

      Comment

      • #18
        Brianguy
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 3836

        Originally posted by locosway
        ...and not watch free pr0n.

        Comment

        • #19
          Dangerpin
          Member
          • Aug 2009
          • 423

          Originally posted by StephenhDMRS
          I deal with this a lot and yes it does work just as well as paid versions. In fact one of the major anti-virus companies(name escapes me at the moment) for medium/large businesses released an update that deleted a part of the registry that was essential for windows to run... Go figure.

          Our IT department has us use free versions and I find they work just as well as Norton and such. Paid versions are just at risk of ruining things as free versions are. Stick with the listed ones above and you should be fine.
          Svchost.exe is not part of the registry. Neither McAfee, nor Norton/Symantec (who had a similar, though less publicized issue with svchost.exe some time back) have been worth a damn since the 90's. They live on because they have learned how to market and sell to the Enterprise, and have well written management interfaces for Enterprise level administration. The free versions do, perhaps work as well as the consumer versions of Norton and McAfee, but frankly that isn't saying much at all.

          If you want decent basic protection, Avira and Microsoft Security Essentials will do the job. AVG is the bottom rung on that particular ladder, I'd stay off of it, personally.

          If you want to step up from basic then ESET is excellent, Kaspersky is top notch if a bit heavy on resource usage and a lot of people really respect BitDefender.
          I am a member of the human race. All relevant information is to be found in my passport. And except when there is good reason for suspecting me of some crime, I will refuse to submit to police interrogation, on the grounds that any such interrogation is an intolerable nuisance. And life being as short as it is, a waste of time. Any infringement on my privacy, or interference with my liberty, any assault, however petty, against my dignity as a human being, will be rigorously prosecuted-Orson W.

          Comment

          • #20
            NaughtyMonkey
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2009
            • 1832

            I use:
            AVG Free Edition
            Ccleaner
            Malwarbytes
            A-Squared
            Spybot S&E
            Spyware Blaster

            There all free and its what I use and what I install on peoples computers I fix and what I used when I worked at a computer shop. So there great!
            -General George S. Patton Jr.
            "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."

            http://m1family.com
            M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.

            Comment

            • #21
              armedoffroader
              Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 413

              I've used AVG free now for years and haven't had a problem since. It updates frequently and I have it set to scan automatically every few days and am happy with it

              Comment

              • #22
                Sinixstar
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2009
                • 1520

                Originally posted by locosway
                I never understood the need for AV software. I never had an issues on Windows and I didn't run any software. My wife doesn't have any issues and she doesn't have software. Even if I didn't use Linux, I still wouldn't run AV software, I'd just keep my PC up to date and not watch free pr0n.
                Yea- in 20 years the only viruses i've had, are ones i set off myself to see what they would do.

                Then again - when somebody sends me an email that says "I love you - click here" with a .vbs attachment - i tend to not open it... go figure.

                Comment

                • #23
                  wrightb
                  Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 289

                  AVG has worked great, except for that really annoying popup you get once every couple days to upgrade to the paid version.
                  Blessed are the peacemakers

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Rekrab
                    Valar Dohaeris
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • May 2009
                    • 5534

                    AVG is the best you can get for free. But if you're serious about protection I'd hit up something like Eset's NOD32.
                    Beretta PX4 Storm .40 S&W (Round Count 3,050) | Yugo M72 | Romy M44

                    Big Ammo Sale!
                    Harris Bipod and Bushnell Elite 3200 Scope for Sale

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      NiteQwill
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2007
                      • 6368

                      Free: Avast!

                      Paid: NOD32 (low memory footprint, great scanner, excellent definition database, FAST, FAST, FAST.)

                      The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        WokMaster1
                        Part time Emperor
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 5436

                        Avast here for 2 years now.
                        "Good friends, good food & good wine. Anything else is just a waste of soy sauce.":)

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          NaughtyMonkey
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 1832

                          Just never ever run Avast or AVG at the same time, my grandpa figured this out the hard way haha.
                          -General George S. Patton Jr.
                          "In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."

                          http://m1family.com
                          M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            bones138
                            Member
                            • May 2007
                            • 364

                            Originally posted by locosway
                            I never understood the need for AV software. I never had an issues on Windows and I didn't run any software. I'd just keep my PC up to date and not watch free pr0n.
                            This.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              the_donald_
                              Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 481

                              AVG free & Spybot can do the trick just fine.


                              Orange County CCW Initiative Sponsor
                              NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
                              NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
                              NRA Member

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                JDay
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19393

                                The top two commercial AV programs (McAfee and Norton) are actually some of the worst around. Although Norton actually made it to #4 this year, McAfee didn't even make the list.

                                Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                                The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1