Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Just bought a Mac, my review so far.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    JDay
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2008
    • 19393







    Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

    The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

    Comment

    • #17
      JDay
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 19393

      Originally posted by du9207
      yeah the problem seems more common on the i5/i7 computers. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these i would wait, seriously. I bought the 13" macbook pro core2duo but my system still froze
      Sounds like its overheating.
      Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

      The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

      Comment

      • #18
        ocabj
        Calguns Addict
        • Oct 2005
        • 7924

        Originally posted by du9207
        I started another thread earlier and asked about partitions and windows 7 product keys. Several of you suggested I try VMware fusion so I'm doing that now as i write this. I wanted windows on my Mac because I got a free copy of windows 7 and office 2007 directly from MS. i've tried using office for Mac but I'm not use to it (and i don't want to buy it)

        Ok so VMware installed windows 7 in about 30min. I was writing my review above when it finished so i'm not sure how long it took but 30min is about right. My Macbook is obviously running a little slower. the cursor doesn't move as fast but it is good most of the time. VMware is offering a 12 month complementary virus protection from Mcaffe virusscan plus but I think i'm going to pass on that bloat stuff.

        aero seems to be turned off, gotta find a way to turn it on.

        i'll be back
        FYI. Office for Mac sucks with Spaces. It never stays jailed to the virtual desktop you specify for the given Office application. I use Office sparingly, though, and my investment is low (free; campus site license, no keys required).

        As far as VMWare vs Parallels. I've been using Parallels since we get it for a low price ($20 per key). I tried earlier iterations of VMWare Fusion and it was pretty decent. If you haven't tried VirtualBox, it's free: http://www.virtualbox.org/

        It's an Oracle (was Sun, but Oracle bought Sun) project. It's actually fairly decent. But the 3D support (OpenGL or Direct3D) isn't anywhere as good as in the commercial virtual machine applications (VMWare and Parallels).

        Distinguished Rifleman #1924
        NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
        NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

        https://www.ocabj.net

        Comment

        • #19
          Blackhawk556
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 4202

          Originally posted by ocabj
          FYI. Office for Mac sucks with Spaces. It never stays jailed to the virtual desktop you specify for the given Office application. I use Office sparingly, though, and my investment is low (free; campus site license, no keys required).

          As far as VMWare vs Parallels. I've been using Parallels since we get it for a low price ($20 per key). I tried earlier iterations of VMWare Fusion and it was pretty decent. If you haven't tried VirtualBox, it's free: http://www.virtualbox.org/

          It's an Oracle (was Sun, but Oracle bought Sun) project. It's actually fairly decent. But the 3D support (OpenGL or Direct3D) isn't anywhere as good as in the commercial virtual machine applications (VMWare and Parallels).
          well I installed vmware and everything seems to be running fine. I got the 30 trial to see how it works out for me, hopefully everything goes fine.
          sigpic PM 4 Front Sight diamond
          "If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?"

          Comment

          • #20
            masameet
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • 4487

            OK. I figured out how to minimize all open windows.

            You know the "FN/fn" button on the far left bottom of the keyboard? I never noticed it really. But apparently it is the Function button (I'm guessing on its meaning). Hold that button down as you press the F11 button. And presto! The windows fly off the screen. To restore, press the same buttons again.

            For more shortcuts, go to System Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts. (My favorite is Shift + Command/Apple logo + 4 = size it, then release.)
            x

            "Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
            They've need to show that they can think at all;
            Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
            He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden

            Comment

            • #21
              DuneShoot
              Senior Member
              • May 2010
              • 1041

              That does the same thing as 'Expose' or moving the mouse cursor to the upper left corner of the screen.

              System Preferences/Expose & Spaces, click on Expose and set Desktop for upper left.
              Set the other corners for what you want.

              Comment

              • #22
                masameet
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • 4487

                It's still a shortcut with the keyboard. And yup, it's under the Expose & Spaces rubric.

                casualshooter overlooked adding the fn button.
                x

                "Let those find fault whose wit's so very small,
                They've need to show that they can think at all;
                Errors, like straws, upon the surface flow;
                He who would search for pearls, must dive below." -- John Dryden

                Comment

                • #23
                  Fate
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Apr 2006
                  • 9545

                  Originally posted by Casual_Shooter
                  This doesn't work on the machine I'm on here at my office (only one minimizes). Likewise, comm+option+m is supposed to minimize all windows, but not on my machine.

                  iMac G5, 2.1ghz PPC, 10.5.8

                  Additionally, the above mentioned tips only work within an application. I think the OP wants to minimize ALL windows.
                  Ah...I'm still back at 10.4.11 It works there (application or just folder windows). I never was one to adopt the latest/greatest until it was pretty well debugged by other suckers.
                  sigpic "On bended knee is no way to be free." - Eddie Vedder, "Guaranteed"

                  "Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
                  , in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    CSDGuy
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2007
                    • 3763

                    Since Macs do run a flavor of Linux, you can take some advantage of programs written for Linux/Unix machines. That does, however, require some willingness to learn some Linux and do some work at the command line, not the GUI. Personally, I like macs, but Win7 is not too bad to deal with.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      ocabj
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 7924

                      Mac OS X isn't Linux based. It's BSD based. Significant difference.

                      Distinguished Rifleman #1924
                      NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
                      NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

                      https://www.ocabj.net

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Casual_Shooter
                        Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Sep 2006
                        • 11741

                        Originally posted by masameet
                        It's still a shortcut with the keyboard. And yup, it's under the Expose & Spaces rubric.

                        casualshooter overlooked adding the fn button.
                        Mine works without pressing the fn button.

                        ETA- It works that way on my iMac at work. I will have to try it on my MBP at home to see if it defaults to F11 only.

                        Also, on my MBP, you can use 4 fingers/ slide (I think- I'll have to test it when I get home) on the touch pad to accomplish the same thing.
                        Last edited by Casual_Shooter; 06-03-2010, 8:31 AM.
                        Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

                        "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



                        Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Casual_Shooter
                          Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Sep 2006
                          • 11741

                          Originally posted by masameet

                          For more shortcuts, go to System Preferences/Keyboard Shortcuts. (My favorite is Shift + Command/Apple logo + 4 = size it, then release.)
                          Taking a picture of a selected area of the screen... I use it quite a bit too!
                          Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

                          "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



                          Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            JDay
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19393

                            Originally posted by ocabj
                            Mac OS X isn't Linux based. It's BSD based. Significant difference.
                            Wrong, its based on the Mach kernel.



                            Mac OS X is based upon the Mach kernel.[11] Certain parts from FreeBSD's and NetBSD's implementation of Unix were incorporated in Nextstep, the core of Mac OS X. Nextstep was the object-oriented operating system developed by Steve Jobs' company NeXT after he left Apple in 1985.[12] While Jobs was away from Apple, Apple tried to create a "next-generation" OS through the Taligent, Copland and Gershwin projects, with little success.
                            Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                            The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Casual_Shooter
                              Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Sep 2006
                              • 11741

                              As an update for the OP,

                              As Masameet posted above, on the MBP, you have to press the fn button to activate the function button F11 (which is normally the volume down button).

                              I confirmed on my MBP at home that using 4 fingers on the touchpad and sliding up activates Expose's "desktop" function. Sliding them different directions will active either "applications" or "show all windows".
                              Last edited by Casual_Shooter; 06-04-2010, 6:44 PM.
                              Guns, dogs and home alarms. Opponents are all of a sudden advocates once their personal space is violated.

                              "Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"



                              Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                ocabj
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Oct 2005
                                • 7924

                                Originally posted by JDay
                                Wrong, its based on the Mach kernel.

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X#History
                                I'm not going into semantics, but OS X is a BSD based Unix OS.

                                Saying that OS X is originally was related on the Mach kernel is true, but that doesn't make the statement that OS X is a BSD based Unix OS untrue.

                                If we want to start citing Wikipedia as an authoritative reference, then I toss this out there:



                                Also Darwin, the system on which Apple's Mac OS X is built, is a derivative of 4.4BSD-Lite2 and FreeBSD.
                                And from the Mac OS X wiki page you posted:

                                It (OS 10.5) was also the first BSD-based OS to receive UNIX 03 certification.
                                At this point, I'd rather not start comparing and debating kernel concepts, memory management, system modes / privilege theory. I drudged my way through my Operating Systems course in college once. I prefer not relive the horrible nights trying to implement a custom system scheduler working with the 2.0 Linux kernel.

                                Distinguished Rifleman #1924
                                NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
                                NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

                                https://www.ocabj.net

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1