Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SUPER STRONG WIRELESS ROUTER... suggestions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    odysseus
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Dec 2005
    • 10407

    Originally posted by igorts
    I think i have 20 Miles radius antenna by cisco somewhere...
    if you cant find an amplifier you might become a provider in your area..
    Maybe a little too much horsepower and ($$$) for a home connection to 50 feet away.
    "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

    The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
    - John Adams

    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

    Comment

    • #17
      Rogue187
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2007
      • 1157

      I'd like to pick the brains of some of you in the know..
      I also need to find a way to boost the signal strength in my home..
      I like in SF and in some of the residences there is a lot of wood..
      which interfers greatly..

      I currently have two netgear routers running..
      One in the front of the house with the modem for the cable..
      Second on is mounted midway in the house in a hallway that connects the front to the rear of the house..

      At times the signal strength is strong enough and sometimes it just drops off to nothing..the router in the front is always sending out a stong signal..it's the material and interference that hinders the second router which is set up to act as a repeater to connect to the back room which houses the computer.

      Any suggestions..I'm going to look into the antenna..

      Comment

      • #18
        Satex
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2006
        • 3501

        Do a site survey to see which channels are least occupied in your home, then select those for your system. Also, how is the second router connected to the main one? It doesn't really make sense that the signal strength drops down to none.

        Comment

        • #19
          odysseus
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Dec 2005
          • 10407

          Rogue - what would be good to know is your noise levels show when it drops down. This is assuming you are staying in the same place (not moving around) and you have a strong signal and it then just drops off.
          "Just leave me alone, I know what to do." - Kimi Raikkonen

          The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
          - John Adams

          http://www.usdebtclock.org/

          Comment

          • #20
            patriot_man
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2009
            • 2640

            wireless G

            Comment

            • #21
              JDay
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Nov 2008
              • 19393

              Originally posted by odysseus
              Sure a directional antenna would normally help, but there seems to be some inefficiency here for normal wifi. Normally if you can't line of sight between windows well to help, I would recommend an outside antenna.
              That's the nice thing about the WRT54GL I recommended, you can setup a patch antenna outside and connect it to one of the antenna ports.
              Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

              The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

              Comment

              • #22
                JDay
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2008
                • 19393

                Originally posted by igorts
                I think i have 20 Miles radius antenna by cisco somewhere...
                if you cant find an amplifier you might become a provider in your area..
                The problem with amplifiers is that they amplify any interference you may be receiving.
                Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                Comment

                • #23
                  JDay
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19393

                  Here is the 802.11 b/g channel map. The only three channels that don't overlap are 1, 6 and 11.

                  Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                  The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Rob454
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Feb 2006
                    • 11254

                    I have a cheapo wireless router and my neighbors can use my internet. well that is if I allowed it. I let them use it one time cause they needed to sell some stuff on ebay. I had to go there and log in for them. Then they started using it all the time and I got pissed and changed the password reloaded the program bal bla bla. you can easily run 50 foot cable. Hell if you need some cat 5 if youre in orange county come by and Ill give you some. ill even make the ends up for you.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Rogue187
                      Senior Member
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 1157

                      I think I left out some information..
                      For the routers in my home they are running on the G band..
                      The 1st router in the front of the house is directly wired..
                      The 2nd one is sitting in the hallway and it is set up as a repeater.

                      At times when I am online the message I can see it that the connection is very good and sometimes it drops to low..and at times to no connection..
                      It varies during the evening..

                      The computer is in the very back of the house and the signal is strong and at times very low..
                      I had the guys from Geeksquad come out to set it up and it worked well..but like all problems when the tech leaves the signal drops and then goes back up..
                      It's too far to run a cable and since my flat is on the second floor I cannot run wiring under the floor.

                      What could I possibly use to boost up my connection strength.?
                      I've tried the plug in ethernet set up but the wiring is not all on the same circuit..

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        t0kie
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2008
                        • 3419

                        Go with wireless N, you will like it.
                        ________
                        Web Shows
                        Last edited by t0kie; 09-19-2011, 2:19 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          dchang0
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 2772

                          Originally posted by KALIDAWG8996
                          You can use a wall plug in ethernet set up. You can use these wall jack type devices that have an ethernet plug on the set(you need 2).

                          1) you plug in one near your router and plug it in to an electrical socket.

                          2)you plug the other in your work shop and plug it in and VOILA!

                          You can find them on ebay for roughly 80-100 bucks. They're called plug-in ethernet adapters.

                          another thing you can use is a repeater for your Wireless set up you can probably find at geeks.com
                          This is the way to go. BUT, you should note that the Powerline Ethernet technology only works if the two outlets being used are on the same circuit (ie, get shut off by the same circuit breaker).

                          Anyway, do this rather than wireless, as atmospheric conditions can often interfere with the quality of the wireless signal. If you live where it rains or is foggy outside, you'll see the wireless signal go to pot fairly often.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            JDay
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19393

                            Originally posted by Rogue187
                            At times when I am online the message I can see it that the connection is very good and sometimes it drops to low..and at times to no connection..
                            It varies during the evening..
                            You need to change the channels being used, interference is causing your issues.

                            I had the guys from Geeksquad come out to set it up and it worked well..but like all problems when the tech leaves the signal drops and then goes back up..
                            What a waste of money, Geeksquad is a joke. Their services are mostly a scam for Best Buy to get more money out of your pocket for a perceived value added service.
                            Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                            The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              mow
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006
                              • 814

                              Originally posted by lowracer
                              50 feet? Any decent wireless router should be able to handle that just fine. Get a unit that can support the DD-WRT firmware. You can increase the output power of the transmitter by changing a parameter in the router setup.
                              Yes, use WDS with the DDWRT firmware and you won't need to run wires.



                              These routers are ~$50 from Newegg and they are sweet!

                              Buffalo WHR-HP-G54

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1