Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Solar charger?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    hermosabeach
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Feb 2009
    • 19849

    What ever you buy- you need to field test the devices!
    I have led lights that in theory run 36 hours on battery. In reality, they overheat in 20 -30 minutes and shut off. After a 10 minute cool down, they turn back on.

    — solar battery packs that were linked above— they are just a battery pack.
    It might take a full week of sun to charge the battery..... a week. Read the fine print but order from a place with a great return policy.

    Drain the battery and see how many hours of sun it takes to charge the device.
    Is that acceptable to you?






    ???
    Power Source Solar Powered
    Current Rating 2.1 Amps, 2 Amps, 1.5 Amps

    I’m guessing this power is from the batter pack... not from a bright sunny day.


    From the amazon ad lower down

    “ Please kindly know that the solar charging is just an additional feature, the actual result may not as positive as you expect due to the large capacity, small panel size and uncontronllable sunlight intensity”
    Rule 1- ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

    Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

    Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

    Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
    (thanks to Jeff Cooper)

    Comment

    • #17
      200Apples
      -DVC- Mojave Lever Crew
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Dec 2011
      • 7217

      So OP will eventually figure out how to keep his phones charged with a tiny solar power setup... then someone else suggested, "How're you going to keep the fridge running?"... And since I'm in the middle of building a small camp trailer 12V power system I'd like to chime in with:

      To run residential 120V ("shore", or, household power) from solar is going to require a moderate investment in batteries, copper stranded conductors, solar panels (PhotoVoltaics, or, PV), solar charge controller, and so on. Remember, too, that an individual, personal/residential, singular setup using "solar" power is capable of creating watts, but not necessarily megawatts...

      Once we get to this level it is time for some deeper understanding of how batteries work, how they must be charged, how to build solar electric power systems of various sizes (small camp trailer, to larger RV, to residential). I can think of few people more experienced or more entertaining than Handy Bob.

      Start at the beginning and be prepared to spend a week here and there to make your first complete pass. It may take several passes through this material for it to sink in. I keep going back.

      HandyBob's Blog - Making off-grid RV electrical systems work

      One more thing: the term "off-grid" simply means "battery power". Realize this and you're halfway there.


      Last edited by 200Apples; 04-03-2021, 4:38 PM.
      .
      "Get a proper holster, and go hot. The End." - SplitHoof

      NRA Lifetime | Avatar courtesy Elon Musk's Twitter User SomthingWicked

      Comment

      • #18
        Lucky Star 3
        Member
        • Jun 2009
        • 164

        I guess no one mentioned the harbor freight kit yet :



        Sometimes it goes on sale.

        Comment

        • #19
          WoodTurner
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Apr 2010
          • 286

          They are expensive, but I'm a huge fan of Powerfilm. Made in USA, flexible, durable, and are more efficient during off axis or cloudy/shaded conditions. I use a small 12W one for backpack hunting to keep my phone and garmin inreach topped up. Charges surprisingly fast for being only a 12W panel.

          Comment

          • #20
            OlderThanDirt
            FUBAR
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jun 2009
            • 6003

            I took a shotgun approach to my power needs. I have solar with battery backup and multiple smaller generators, including a tri-fuel generator (NG, propane and gasoline). I have never lost natural gas service, even after significant earthquakes.
            We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, but they are still lying. ~ Solzhenitsyn
            Thermidorian Reaction . . Prepare for it.

            Comment

            • #21
              Jeepergeo
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2012
              • 3507

              Originally posted by sonofeugene
              To be aware, the 3000 is not a 3000 watt supply. It's the same output as the 1400 but with a bigger battery so it lasts longer.
              Actually, the 3000x is capable of 33% more continuous watts compared to the 1400.

              The 3000x's 120V AC Inverter delivers 120VAC 60Hz, 16.5A (2000W, 3500W surge) (output, pure sine wave). The battery pack capacity is 3032Wh (10.8V, 280.8Ah).

              The 1400's 120V AC inverter delivers (output, pure sine wave): 120VAC, 60hZ, 12.5A (1500W, 3000W surge). The battery pack capacity is 1425Wh (10.8V, 132Ah).

              In terms of watt-hours, the 3000x is the way to go.
              Last edited by Jeepergeo; 04-05-2021, 3:25 PM.
              Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
              Life Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association

              Comment

              • #22
                Sniper3142
                Veteran Member
                • May 2004
                • 2579

                I've had very good luck with this one:

                Solar Charger 25000mAh, FEELLE Portable Solar Power Bank Dual USB Ports Waterproof External Battery with LED Flashlight




                Internet Talk is Cheap

                Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74HgbjSCLM

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1