Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Refurb Dell-I killed it already

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • brassburnz
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 3553

    Refurb Dell-I killed it already

    Bought a refurb Dell E6400 off of Yugster for $160. Came with a Windows 7 product key. Anyway, we use Google docs, so I downloaded Google chrome. I figured Windows Internet Security would keep me safe. WRONG

    Got off the phone with Microsoft support and they ran a remote scan. My machine is full viruses! They offered to do a tune-up and virus wipe for $200. I said no thanks. I'll deal with it myself (with the help of Calguns).

    So Calguns, what's my next step? Download an anti-virus program now and hope it can wipe the virus out? Get a new hard drive? Will I be able to activate Windows 7?

    I work for a school district. If I ask nicely, they can re-image my hard drive and I can use my product key.
    NRA Life Member
    CRPA Life Member
  • #2
    HappyCamper781
    CGSSA Coordinator
    • Oct 2012
    • 1856

    The quickest solution is a reimage with your product key. Practice safe browsing, there's no such thing as effective "internet protection" software, especially the bundled crap with most OS's.

    Comment

    • #3
      brassburnz
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • 3553

      Originally posted by HappyCamper781
      The quickest solution is a reimage with your product key. Practice safe browsing, there's no such thing as effective "internet protection" software, especially the bundled crap with most OS's.
      Can I re-image the drive myself? I don't know how to do that. If not, the IT guys at school can do it.
      NRA Life Member
      CRPA Life Member

      Comment

      • #4
        SMR510
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Nov 2008
        • 883

        Originally posted by brassburnz
        Got off the phone with Microsoft support and they ran a remote scan. My machine is full viruses! They offered to do a tune-up and virus wipe for $200.
        Does not sound like a legit phone conversation with Microsoft. Did they call you or did you call them?

        I would just re install windows, you can easily download a ISO for the correct version and put it on a USB stick or burn it to a DVD. Mostly because the people you talked to on the phone probably have access to your system now.

        Comment

        • #5
          brassburnz
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 3553

          Originally posted by SMR510
          Does not sound like a legit phone conversation with Microsoft. Did they call you or did you call them?

          I would just re install windows, you can easily download a ISO for the correct version and put it on a USB stick or burn it to a DVD. Mostly because the people you talked to on the phone probably have access to your system now.
          I called them. I've talked to them before on that same number and they were helpful with another problem.

          Thanks for the info on the download. If I didn't have the product key I'd be more freaked out than I already am.
          NRA Life Member
          CRPA Life Member

          Comment

          • #6
            spdtiger
            Member
            • Jan 2010
            • 331

            hey Ill buy it from you or if you like trade your for some 22lr ammo

            Comment

            • #7
              brassburnz
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2006
              • 3553

              I've been working on this thing since my first post, and I've finally got it fixed. I had to reinstall Windows 7 and use the product key. I found the info I needed from another thread. Someone suggested bleepingcomputer.com for a fix. I researched my problem and discovered that hitting F8 repeatedly at power up opens a window that let me repair Windows.

              I followed the directions and was able to re-install Windows 7 and activate it with my product key.

              I'm sure the Microsoft support people know about this fix, but telling customers about it doesn't make them any money. Good thing I'm cheap and a skeptic. Anyway, the education was well worth the frustration.

              Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Your aggregate knowledge helped me figure out how to solve the problem.

              spdtiger, thanks for the offer, but I got tons of .22 around here.
              NRA Life Member
              CRPA Life Member

              Comment

              • #8
                stilly
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2009
                • 10685

                You most likely can NOT image it yourself. If they use PXE images anyways. An image means you need ghost or something else with a previous image.

                At this point wiping might be the best. Just get a Windows 7 disk and do a fresh install using your key.

                Asking people at the school district to image your system could present problems, like a foreign node on the network. Then you will have to break from the domain, create a new user account, make a new admin PW, and remove all software that is using their license keys. (office and windows).

                It is very simple for you to just wipe it out and restart.
                7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                Comment

                • #9
                  billofrights
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Oct 2012
                  • 2343

                  In the future if you end up having to reinstall Windows PM me, I can supply the disc and a valid product key, and walk you through how to do it.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    The Last American Hero
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 1215

                    I got burned on a "refurb" PC sold by a mom&pop brick and mortar store.

                    If I'd found it in a dumpster it would be able to 'phone home' to H-P "Global" and get all its software all self-fixed no charge, no problem, unlimited times.

                    But "refurb" only meant it is an "orphan" now "unknown" to H-P but still "proprietary" so total WORST OF BOTH WORLDS.

                    Took me a few hours and days to understand how screwed I was.

                    Even if H-P world headquarters was nuked in the USA a dumpster-find PC would be GTG and download from H-P Australia or somewhere.

                    My advice: cut your losses. Don't invest time putting "stuff" on this PC. You will only suffer more later.
                    Am I a good shot!?!, YEAH I'M A GOOD SHOT!....i just got bad aim

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      stilly
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jul 2009
                      • 10685

                      The only problem with this refurb is that it is a DELL and DELL is known for chopping up their comps to make them unupgradeable (no new mobo, no more expansion ports, not much upgrading of internals and no adding things cept maybe 1 hd.) They also like to mess the mobo in some weird fashion so no new case will also fit it...

                      I hate dell actually I hate them all, but Dell specifically, and their tech support in microindonesia or whatever blows too. Damn injuns treat EVERYBODY like they are noob users...

                      HP is slightly better, but they SUCK for warranties. The city had an HP system and it had a WD blue drive that was already repaced once. The warranty expired in mid 2013 but the HD was from jan 2014, on the WD website they say that componet HD has 2 year warranty, but retail has 5 year I think. Well, HP would not replace the drive and WD said to call HP because they were not going to replace it. So we have a 1 year old WD drive that had an URE and nobody wanted to replace it. They can all suck it. I hate WD and HP for that.

                      Anyways, if the software is the ONLY issue, then just reload windows 7... So simple.
                      7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                      Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                      And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        freonr22
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 12948

                        i have a refurb lenovo ive been super happy with...
                        sigpic
                        Originally posted by dantodd
                        We will win. We are right. We will never stop fighting.
                        Originally posted by bwiese
                        They don't believe it's possible, but then Alison didn't believe there'd be 350K - 400K OLLs in CA either.
                        Originally posted by louisianagirl
                        Our fate is ours alone to decide as long as we remain armed heavily enough to dictate it.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          Wallabing
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2009
                          • 1499

                          Run these in order:

                          1. Rkill (Make sure it finds nothing before moving on) - Checks and cleans any malware from RAM
                          2. Tdsskiller -Checks and cleans any malware from the boot sector
                          3. Malwarebytes anti malware scan
                          4. Avast free edition boot scan (Will take about an hour) -Runs before your operating system loads up, very high removal rate

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            The Last American Hero
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • 1215

                            Originally posted by Wallabing
                            Run these in order:

                            1. Rkill (Make sure it finds nothing before moving on) - Checks and cleans any malware from RAM
                            2. Tdsskiller -Checks and cleans any malware from the boot sector
                            3. Malwarebytes anti malware scan
                            4. Avast free edition boot scan (Will take about an hour) -Runs before your operating system loads up, very high removal rate
                            Avast boot scan just saved me, too.

                            Then a few resets to earlier date before certain Windows updates, then let the updates re-happen.
                            Am I a good shot!?!, YEAH I'M A GOOD SHOT!....i just got bad aim

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              brassburnz
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2006
                              • 3553

                              Originally posted by billofrights
                              In the future if you end up having to reinstall Windows PM me, I can supply the disc and a valid product key, and walk you through how to do it.
                              Thanks for the offer. Fortunately there was nothing on the drive I needed or couldn't be reinstalled and I was able to re-install the OS by resetting the hard drive using the F8 key on power up.

                              I coach a robotics team at school, but all of the district computers have so many level of user authorizations the robotics kids can't access the com ports in order to download programs. Also, because all of the laptops are imaged with the same programs, like Microsoft Office, a reading program, writing program, math program, etc, and tons of useless extensions, it takes 10 minutes to boot and load settings.

                              I needed a bare bones computer that would run RobotC. I don't need the internet. I don't need Microsoft Office or any of the other useless programs. We have a bunch of 8 year-old HP's running Windows XP that nobody wants that would be perfect for our needs, but they refuse to wipe the harddrive and remove the limited access to the com ports.

                              So I plunked down $160 of my own money to buy this one. I just have to remind myself and the kids not to download anything from the Net. I'll also train them to backup all their work. I just bought a 1.5 TB backup drive, so now I have a spare 500GB they can use. This thing only has a 160GB drive, so if this thing does get infected again, I'll just wipe the drive and start over again. I have disks and product keys for all the robotics software we run.

                              Thanks again for everyone's input. Dealing with this was a pain in the butt, but I knew the Calguns collective would have a solution!
                              NRA Life Member
                              CRPA Life Member

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1