Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Hearing Protection in a HD scenario

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    ParadigmShift
    Member
    • May 2013
    • 183

    Hearing protection for HD scenario sounds counter intuitive and borderline stupid. This is a life and death scenario and I want to be able to hear them coming. Situational awareness is key and I don't want any of my senses dulled.
    __________________
    WTB: HK P7M13 | Please PM
    "I'm your huckleberry"

    Comment

    • #32
      mif_slim
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2008
      • 10089

      Originally posted by Thepug99
      Put on eye protection too might as well
      And dont forget to yell "Range is hot!" Oh, and also, remember to have a chamber safety flag after you shoot the intruder.
      Originally posted by Gottmituns
      It's not protecting the rights of the 1%, it's IMPOSING new laws because of the 1%.

      Comment

      • #33
        CessnaDriver
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Feb 2009
        • 10905

        Originally posted by ParadigmShift
        Hearing protection for HD scenario sounds counter intuitive and borderline stupid. This is a life and death scenario and I want to be able to hear them coming. Situational awareness is key and I don't want any of my senses dulled.
        The electronic ones amplify, you hear more, though directional information is probably not as good.


        "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

        Comment

        • #34
          Jimi Jah
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2014
          • 19264

          If you sleep with earplugs you will be protected.

          Then again, you probably won't wake up either.

          Comment

          • #35
            CessnaDriver
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Feb 2009
            • 10905

            Originally posted by Jimi Jah
            If you sleep with earplugs you will be protected.

            Then again, you probably won't wake up either.
            Sensored alarms can accomplish wake up duties if you want to go that route.


            "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

            Comment

            • #36
              rickterscale
              Member
              • May 2013
              • 293

              Originally posted by phantomx48
              What is everyone doing for hearing protection in a home defense scenario (if anything)? Obviously time and getting your weapon drawn is the most important factor in this type of situation. . .but for those of you who have multiple lines of defense (dogs, security systems, reinforced doors, large house, etc.) and should have a few extra seconds, do you have muff next to your HD gun, or in the safe?

              I am thinking I should have a pair of electronic muffs for myself and my wife in the nightstand drawer next to flashlight, extra mag, etc. If time permits it seems like it would be an excellent tool to use while hunkering down. . .saving our hearing, and even giving us an advantage in our ability to hear the intruders better, and our own whispering.

              Any downsides, other than maybe making a phone call to 911 more difficult?
              That's what I do, just in case there is time to put them on. The electronic ear muffs can be an asset too, actually enhancing your hearing while protecting from hearing damage. Can't hurt to have them at the ready, so why not ...

              Comment

              • #37
                dpop24
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 1117

                +1 to above. The electronic muffs are there more so for hearing enhancement than even hearing protection. Bought an extra set to put right next to my 870.

                I don't think I would want regular muffs on as you wouldn't be able to hear the bad guy sneaking around the house.

                Comment

                • #38
                  Whatisthis?
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2010
                  • 1820

                  If I think someone is breaking into my house, I already have higher priorities than my own hearing protection. I can't actually fathom putting on hearing protection, not because I won't need it(I would love to not have hearing damage after), but because of time constraints.

                  Like others have said though, it is good to keep some nearby in case you find the situation allows it.

                  Hearing protection for myself is FAR down on my list of "**** to be concerned about when I think someone is breaking in".

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    CGT80
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 2981

                    Some of you guys must have crappy hearing protection and not know what it is like to have tinnitus, hypercosis, or hearing damage.

                    My ear pro is Pro Ears Gold Mag 33db electronic. You can easily hear what direction a noise is from and I can put them on and turn the sound on in 1-2 seconds. For HD, I would turn them all the way up at first. They have a limit on the sound and more is better than too little. There is a knob on each ear cup. I twist them opposite directions and they are on. I use these at the range over 33 db plugs or custom plugs, and run the volume up all the way. It lets me hear voices but kills the gun blasts better, especially off the brakes from the AR15's of the other 3 gun guys.

                    If I don't have time to get the earmuff on, then so be it. They sit right next to my pistol and mags so it will take a minimal amount of time to put them on if it is available.

                    It is said that those with hearing damage are more susceptible to further damage. If your hearing is already less than perfect, then any addition damage will have more effect than the same damage to a person with perfect hearing. The damage may not be apparent right away, either.

                    Electronic muffs protect you from the shot, keep your hearing intact for use right after the shot, and can amplify faint sounds that you can't normally hear. Those that have hearing damage, are at a disadvantage from those without. I have mild hearing loss at 2-3khz. I can not hear below 30-35 db at those frequencies. The sound has to be louder than a whisper to hear. My loss is more mild than most people who use hearing aids and it is only a small divot in the frequency range, so I hear low pitched sounds at 1k or lower and sounds at 4k and above with normal 0-5 db levels, but it is noticeable.

                    Using ear muffs is like wearing a seatbelt or having air bags. The cost or drawback to using them is low, but you can go without and suffer the consequences. If you had to flee from danger, using a vehicle, you may skip the safety stuff if you were very short on time. If you had a few seconds to use a seatbelt, it may just save your butt down the road. It is a personal choice and I choose to protect myself if I can. I already have enough wear and tear and damage to my body and I am not considered old to most people, unless your a teenager.
                    He who dies with the most tools/toys wins

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Kokopelli
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 3444

                      My hearing protection for HD is subsonic ammo.
                      If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth. - Ronald Reagan

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        MrSam
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • 1091

                        Worst case scenario, my body. Off hand (left) is used to cover my left ear. Dominant arm's shoulder (right) is pressed up against my right ear when the gun is raised.
                        It sounds uncomfortable, but I have been practicing this technique for some time now (at the range, using hearing protection). It only leaves one hand to fire, so practicing it was a must.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Erion929
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 4706

                          Originally posted by MrSam
                          Worst case scenario, my body. Off hand (left) is used to cover my left ear. Dominant arm's shoulder (right) is pressed up against my right ear when the gun is raised.
                          It sounds uncomfortable, but I have been practicing this technique for some time now (at the range, using hearing protection). It only leaves one hand to fire, so practicing it was a must.

                          Seriously? I guess it might work, as the perp would probably double over in laughter when he saw my ape-hanger stance and watched me empty my magazine into the refridgerator

                          I guess you are more limber than I
                          Join Active Junky for online rebates....$10 to both you and me!

                          https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017


                          Comment

                          • #43
                            sholling
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 10360

                            Originally posted by ParadigmShift
                            Hearing protection for HD scenario sounds counter intuitive and borderline stupid. This is a life and death scenario and I want to be able to hear them coming. Situational awareness is key and I don't want any of my senses dulled.
                            That's where sound amplifying electronic stereo muffs come into play. I have a set of electronic muffs next to my bed that gives me better hearing than any intruder. Not only will I hear him better than he hears me pre-gun shots, but my superior hearing will remain intact throughout the fight while his ears are ringing. The set next to my bed aren't as good as the ones in my range bag but they don't need to be - they just need to be there when I need them.
                            Last edited by sholling; 10-01-2014, 10:06 AM.
                            "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                            Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              ParadigmShift
                              Member
                              • May 2013
                              • 183

                              Ill check those out. Thanks for the information.
                              __________________
                              WTB: HK P7M13 | Please PM
                              "I'm your huckleberry"

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                MrSam
                                Senior Member
                                • Jun 2014
                                • 1091

                                Originally posted by Erion929
                                Seriously? I guess it might work, as the perp would probably double over in laughter when he saw my ape-hanger stance and watched me empty my magazine into the refridgerator

                                I guess you are more limber than I
                                Good, if he doubles over in laughter that will save me some trouble. It seemed strange at first, but after "trying it" I found it to be simple. It also comes very naturally now; left hand over ear, tilt head slightly more than you normally would to the right so that the right ear comes in contact with the shoulder. I'll admit, it's not the best technique to use, but in a situation where you can't afford to waste time looking for hearing protection, its better than nothing.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1