Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Question- Do Soldiers wear....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    jtice01
    Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 132

    Our headsets had built in earpro with comm system. Back before they issued those, I wore foamies. But I was mechanized, so you couldn't hear **** anyway.

    Comment

    • #17
      Jimi Jah
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jan 2014
      • 19273

      I wonder how many are recieving treatment for hearing losses at the VA?

      Comment

      • #18
        NastyNate
        Senior Member
        • May 2012
        • 1697

        Issued but didn't use when hookin' and jabbin. Tinnitus is my new friend for life.
        Hearing loss and tinnitus are very common amongst our brethren and easily approved for compensation at the VA.

        NastyNate
        -NN

        Comment

        • #19
          ocabj
          Calguns Addict
          • Oct 2005
          • 7924

          Originally posted by bwhited
          I was a Range Safety Officer on base for a match and it was easy to tell who was military. When they came to the firing line to start their stage, I would mention eyes and ears. Their response was we train as we fit. Since this match was on base, I had no choice but to let them shoot the stage without eyes and ears.

          Distinguished Rifleman #1924
          NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
          NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

          https://www.ocabj.net

          Comment

          • #20
            smle-man
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jan 2007
            • 10606

            That's why both my son and I have hearing loss after our service time. Ear plugs were issued but not used.

            Comment

            • #21
              emptybottle151
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2010
              • 1503

              Combat? No. Training? Sometimes, but only after getting yelled at.

              I was training at Bridgeport and we were issued some electric ear pro that would hook up to a radio but the ear pieces were way too large and would hurt after a few hours. They also got real nasty. Afterwards we told our command how much they sucked and never saw them again.

              Tinnitus and hearing lost effects a lot of grunts including myself. The VA will compensate you but treatment is limited.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                1CavScout
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2013
                • 3234

                Originally posted by NastyNate
                Issued but didn't use when hookin' and jabbin. Tinnitus is my new friend for life.
                Hearing loss and tinnitus are very common amongst our brethren and easily approved for compensation at the VA.

                NastyNate
                The tinnitus is worse than the hearing loss IMO. VA only gave me 10% for the tinnitus which is the max rating. Ridiculous IMO...
                sigpic

                Comment

                • #23
                  CAL.BAR
                  CGSSA OC Chapter Leader
                  • Nov 2007
                  • 5632

                  FYI vets - your tinnitus is as a result of the hearing loss. It is your brain trying to compensate for the lost register. If you get well tuned hearing aids AND USE THEM - you can vastly reduce or ELIMINATE tinnitus. - Really! PM for a referral to a specialist if necessary.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    NIB
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2005
                    • 549

                    Back when I was in we were told that since we were issued ear plugs the VA did not pay for hearing loss.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Gunsmith Dan
                      Senior Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • 1445

                      Well you know the Artillery crews are wearing double ear protection otherwise it is instant hearing loss firing off a 155mm.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        desrt2
                        Member
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 319

                        I wore a CVC (Combat Vehicle Crewman) helmet in the Gulf War - I was a Bradley gunner.

                        The ear foam had long since evaporated from the cups but the cushion was still there.



                        I was issued ear protection starting in 1987 first day of Basic. In many units, it's part of the standard uniform.



                        I managed to hold onto them until shortly before we went into Iraq, then I lost them. I wish I had not lost them.

                        I don't recall anyone in my troop wearing more than the CVC helmet protection.

                        Between all of the shooting, getting shot at, noise of the turbo diesel engine and blowing stuff up, I ended up with some hearing loss in my left ear

                        *Side note: the left ear of a right handed shooter suffers more damage than the right ear as it is closer and in line to the muzzle.

                        Tinnitus is really common and there's nothing you can do about it. Mine isn't very bad and it's not always there.

                        I wear a hearing aid in my left ear. Without it, I can hear sounds but the words are distorted. Put more than one sound source in a room and I just sit back and enjoy the view or leave. Indoor parties/events suck for conversation.

                        Extremely frustrating when trying to talk with people. You ask them to repeat themselves and if you still don't catch it, you nod your head, smile and BS your way thru a conversation hoping you didn't miss something important.

                        I watch TV with subs.

                        This was a little long-winded but I've illustrated reality and the consequences.
                        Last edited by desrt2; 06-05-2014, 3:49 PM.
                        sigpic

                        "Let them hate so long as they fear."

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          PVT Zimm
                          Junior Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • 32

                          I didn't hear what you said due to the ringing in my ears. But, yes we were issued earpro at the start of our deployments, and sadly most if not all of use stuffed them in the bottom of our seabags and they were never seen again. As someone else said, I'd rather be deaf then dead. Worked for me.
                          ?

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            BajaJames83
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2011
                            • 6042

                            Huh?

                            I was knocked out cold in iraq in 2003 when the guns (155 howitzers) shifted for another target. All I remember was a bright light and maybe 20 mins later waking up and for the next week or so all I heard was ringing
                            NRA Endowment Life Member
                            USMC 2001-2012

                            Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

                            John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
                            James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              smle-man
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Jan 2007
                              • 10606

                              Originally posted by desrt2

                              *Side note: the left ear of a right handed shooter suffers more damage than the right ear as it is closer and in line to the muzzle.

                              Tinnitus is really common and there's nothing you can do about it. Mine isn't very bad and it's not always there.

                              I wear a hearing aid in my left ear. Without it, I can hear sounds but the words are distorted. Put more than one sound source in a room and I just sit back and enjoy the view or leave. Indoor parties/events suck for conversation.

                              Extremely frustrating when trying to talk with people. You ask them to repeat themselves and if you still don't catch it, you nod your head, smile and BS your way thru a conversation hoping you didn't miss something important.
                              Guess that is why my hearing loss is more severe in my right ear; I'm left handed! Standing next to M60 tank engines being ground hopped sure didn't help my hearing either. While sitting here typing this my ears are ringing.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                cold100onhw1
                                Member
                                • Jul 2009
                                • 108

                                We had a bucket of foam plugs in the TOC on our COP and we got issued the little rubber plugs. I was a machine gunner and had a mk48 in Afghanistan. Between the gun, Afghanistan army not knowing what the F back blast is, and riding in ch47s my hearing sucks. I never used ear pro in combat. I remember dozens of times when the crack or whizz was the first indication of contact.

                                Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1