Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

WHICH HANDGUN TO BUY?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    voiceofreason
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2010
    • 3785

    Glock 19 is a GREAT gun. For CCW as well.

    But... it can get pretty heavy when fully loaded with rounds. It's not exactly small or flat.

    Most people CCW multiple guns depending on the day/occasion/clothing.

    consider the S&W 642 (if you like the 638 better, get it) and the Sig P238

    Personally, I think the P238 is a better CCW gun. Primarily because it comes with real sights (night sights) and also because you can reload a LOT faster.


    If you're wearing loose/casual clothing, carry the G19 + a mag or 2.


    If you're wearing tighter, less casual clothing, carry the P238.

    A revolver carries fine in a pocket of jeans, but drags in slacks or khakis. Carries better on a belt than a G19.

    P238 hides better (like a miniature single stack 1911).

    single stack 1911s hide well due to being so flat.
    "You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
    John Quincy Adams

    "You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
    voiceofreason

    Comment

    • #32
      chris
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Apr 2006
      • 19452

      pick one that will fit your hand comfortably if not don't buy it. it's that simple.
      http://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
      sigpic
      Thank your neighbor and fellow gun owners for passing Prop 63. For that gun control is a winning legislative agenda.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
      contact the governor
      https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
      In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
      NRA Life Member.

      Comment

      • #33
        golfish
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2013
        • 10124

        Why not the Glock 30? Don't hate on me, I'm new to the large cal semi auto pistols. I'm looking at the glock and the Springfield Mil spec...
        It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
        Happiness is a warm gun.

        MLC, First 3

        Comment

        • #34
          greg36f
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 1758

          Originally posted by voiceofreason
          Glock 19 is a GREAT gun. For CCW as well.

          But... it can get pretty heavy when fully loaded with rounds. It's not exactly small or flat.

          Most people CCW multiple guns depending on the day/occasion/clothing.

          consider the S&W 642 (if you like the 638 better, get it) and the Sig P238

          Personally, I think the P238 is a better CCW gun. Primarily because it comes with real sights (night sights) and also because you can reload a LOT faster.


          If you're wearing loose/casual clothing, carry the G19 + a mag or 2.


          If you're wearing tighter, less casual clothing, carry the P238.

          A revolver carries fine in a pocket of jeans, but drags in slacks or khakis. Carries better on a belt than a G19.

          P238 hides better (like a miniature single stack 1911).

          single stack 1911s hide well due to being so flat.
          All true and decent info. The guy you carry when you are wearing shorts and a t shirt may not be the gun you carry when you wear jeans and a heavy coat.

          I would add that too many people choose a CCW gun as an accessory. It not. It's not supposed to impress anyone or be a show gun.

          It's a TOOL and like any other tool it's only function is to work well when you need it, nothing more.

          Also, there is a good chance you could loose it for a while after you use it, so that family heirloom that grandpa gave you may not be the best choice.

          It also would be a good idea to have both guns be similar in operation.

          Full size M&P for winter, shield for summer.

          When people recommend a 1911, I always cringe. The 1911 is an "experts" gun IMO. It is a gun that you need to train on and be confident with. Single action, safeties...ect. You had better know that gun!!!

          Keep it simple, reliable and easy to use.

          Comment

          • #35
            manywelps
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2013
            • 503

            Originally posted by voiceofreason
            P238 hides better (like a miniature single stack 1911).
            If we're going that small I vote P938.

            Comment

            • #36
              jbolton
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2008
              • 1386

              Glock 27 hands down
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #37
                ja308
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2009
                • 12660

                My GF carries a Berretta 380 . She regularly hits a 14 " steel target at 50 yards with it . Besides its a nice size and controls are simple .

                I enjoy my Stainless Walther PPK in 380, if you decide on a Walther PPK, check that hammer does not bite the web of your shooting hand, as this can make practice undesirable .

                Look at all suggestions and try to shoot the model you plan on buying, a large public like Angeles should have someone shooting what your interested in . Many shooters will allow you to shoot a few rounds with their guns . I do anyway !
                Last edited by ja308; 06-13-2014, 10:42 PM.

                Comment

                • #38
                  hk200085
                  Member
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 473

                  Try different types and styles, and then decide which best suits your needs. For me, it is a browning hi power and a 4.25in commander that get carried the most, but those are what I enjoy carrying and feel comfortable with. Only you can decide what will fit your specific needs, and comforts.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    -R-
                    Member
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 356

                    Originally posted by BigPimping
                    Glock 19. There is no substitute.
                    With the CA 10 round mag limits its pointless to carry a gun that large and be handicapped with 10rd mags. You can carry a sub compact that is not only lighter, but carries better with the same capacity.

                    In 9mm there will be no issues handling a sub compact even with +P or +P+. The glock 19 is a great gun, but for every day concealed carry there are better options.
                    _____,---|'o'.......................I_
                    l l'---"'CALGUNS:==;;;;;;;;;;;;I==+=
                    l_/```/_/-'`|__|''''''''''

                    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Jimmybacon43
                      Senior Member
                      • Jun 2013
                      • 2000

                      Glock 26
                      Springfield XD9 subcompact
                      Smith and Wesson Shield
                      Ruger LCR
                      Smith and Wesson 442

                      You really can't go wrong with any of the S&W J-frames. They're all reliable.
                      Originally posted by RookieShooter
                      One of the theory is that the hormones they put in the milk. That is why there are more obesity and homosexual today then back in the 60's.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        ja308
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 12660

                        I think George Zimmerman who while having his head bashed in, had excellent result with a keltec !
                        I'm thinking the striker fired pistols may be a better choice for CC !
                        Unfortunately I don't yet own one !

                        Using the Zimmerman example its possible a handgun that has a safety, hammer or cylinder may not work as well as just pulling the trigger on a striker fired model !
                        Last edited by ja308; 06-14-2014, 12:26 AM.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Westie
                          Junior Member
                          • May 2014
                          • 13

                          I ended up getting the SW 638 humpback 38 snubie...we will se how it goes. Thanks all.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Nguyen
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2013
                            • 3000

                            glock 19


                            "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country."
                            - Dianne Feinstein

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              AreWeFree
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2013
                              • 4558

                              Originally posted by Westie
                              I am looking for a small RELIABLE handgun for ccw purposes?
                              Any and all input is appreciated.
                              I am new to this forum....
                              I have been thinking SW 638 or a karr small 9mm.
                              Anyway all input is appreciated.
                              I live in northern ca near Stockton.
                              Thank you.


                              Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                              Those are both excellent choices. A Kahr CW9 or small SW revolver will serve you well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1