Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Just saw Captain Phillips for the first time...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Press Check
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2011
    • 4879

    All that aside, it was a great movie.

    Comment

    • #17
      brettkeating
      Member
      • Oct 2013
      • 295

      Originally posted by Full Clip
      I thought the movie was a perfect metaphor for the disarming of the American citizen: Render the population defenseless, which only encourages criminals to prey upon them, necessitating a massive, far-reaching police force that specializes in over reacting to any event.
      This

      Comment

      • #18
        BrassCase
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        CGN Contributor
        • Dec 2011
        • 3192

        When I first started sailing after graduation from Cal Maritime in the 70's the Captains all had handguns in their safes. Sometimes they had a shotgun and some may have brought a rifle but I was never aware of any that did. We didn't have these type of pirate issues back then. In the 80's all the shipping companies that I know removed the guns from the ships for various reasons. Most thought it was antiquated to have them aboard. Mutinies don't happen. A few ships got robbed in port and a Captain got killed when he tried to use his company provided gun to stop one. I also think there was a Captain or two that committed suicide at sea using the company gun. The US gov't ships that are manned by Merchant Marines now carry weapons and training courses are provided. I believe some have pistols and M16's. The civilian ships still do not. I might still be sailing if I could have shot skeet off of the stern.
        I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong...
        NRA Certified:

        Chief Range Safety Officer
        Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
        Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home

        Comment

        • #19
          bsg
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jan 2009
          • 25954

          i still haven't seen the movie.

          Comment

          • #20
            ZirconJohn
            Rattlesnake Hunter
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Sep 2007
            • 10376

            Originally posted by GM4spd
            As soon as Merchant vessels start carrying arms,or people carrying arms,they can be deemed
            "Man o war" or Naval vessels,which carrys a whole new set of rules when
            calling in ports worldwide. As a general rule US flagged vessels,container ships,
            tankers,etc do not carry weapons on board. Some companies I sailed with
            had the captain keep a handgun locked in the ships safe( usually in his
            office). I know my present employer does NOT allow any
            weapons on US or foreign flag vessels,no matter WHAT waters they are in,
            they also do not allow any armed personnel on board,either.We have had
            Nigerian pirates board some of our vessels in that part of the world and
            kidnap people for ransom.My employer does not acknowledge these
            incidents.
            Pete
            Exactly... word for word... what a friend up here in town, Captain for Maersk on a Pacific Ocean freighter... same answer when In asked him... hey... what's the deal...?
            .
            "A rattlesnake that doesn't bite teaches you nothing" -- Jessamyn West
            "Only God has the touch to create these magnificent rattlesnakes and their signature greatness in nature" -- unknown
            .
            ......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

            Comment

            • #21
              CitaDeL
              Calguns Addict
              • May 2007
              • 5843

              Originally posted by bsg
              i still haven't seen the movie.
              Sorry to spoil it for you, but Captain Phillips comes home in the end.



              Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

              Comment

              • #22
                bsg
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jan 2009
                • 25954

                Originally posted by CitaDeL
                Sorry to spoil it for you, but Captain Phillips comes home in the end.
                thanks. i'll just watch the movie vicariously on Calguns, and then decide if i want to see it as a rerun at the theatre.

                Comment

                • #23
                  MXRider
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2010
                  • 2927

                  It was an entertaining movie, but the crew members who have talked about the incident and the movie said it was all bull****. Captain Phillips didn't heed the warnings, and was reckless with the crews lives. In the movie they make him seem like he took every possible precaution and was concerned with safety and he was hero. The crew tell a far different tale.



                  The Captain Phillips true story vs. movie. Explore the controversy, meet the real Captain Richard Phillips, wife Anrea Phillips and Abduwali Abdukhadir Muse.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    CK_32
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 14369

                    Yea that movie had me clinching my fists too.

                    But I've seen a ride along and documentary on those pirates. And the ones on the movie had nothing on these guys. New age pirates plan for ships to have guns and are equiped with full MG's and RPG's with the thought of if we can win well just sink the ship. So your 5.56 and 308 wont be as effective as you might think.

                    My full proof plan is to make sure my a** is never on a ship in that area haha
                    For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                    What's Your Caliber??


                    My Youtube channel

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      SuperSet
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Feb 2007
                      • 9048

                      Great movie. I liked it better than Lone Survivor, which was also very good.

                      Another ocean-faring movie that I really dug was All Is Lost with Robert Redford. I went into it thinking that it was going to be boring but it was not. Awesome movie. Better than Cast Away.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        m03
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • 1911

                        Originally posted by MXRider
                        It was an entertaining movie, but the crew members who have talked about the incident and the movie said it was all bull****. Captain Phillips didn't heed the warnings, and was reckless with the crews lives. In the movie they make him seem like he took every possible precaution and was concerned with safety and he was hero. The crew tell a far different tale.



                        http://www.historyvshollywood.com/re...n-phillips.php

                        Coincidentally, they're also involved in a lawsuit, so I'd take what they claim with a grain of salt.

                        The actual Captain did an AMA on Reddit a couple of months ago, and covered some of these things in detail.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          MXRider
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 2927

                          Originally posted by m03
                          Coincidentally, they're also involved in a lawsuit, so I'd take what they claim with a grain of salt.

                          The actual Captain did an AMA on Reddit a couple of months ago, and covered some of these things in detail.
                          I think that lawsuit has been pending since before the movie deal. Think they filed it shortly after the incident for endangering their lives.

                          My post was just to point out that even though it's based on an actual event, it's still Hollywood.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            BKinzey
                            OT Banned
                            CGN Contributor
                            • May 2009
                            • 4390

                            Originally posted by MXRider
                            ...My post was just to point out that even though it's based on an actual event, it's still Hollywood.
                            Somali Pirates board an American ship and take the Captain hostage. The Captain is saved, it doesn't end well for the pirates. That's what based on an actual event often means.
                            Rogue American, Media Mercenary.
                            "A firearm is just a tool. Any tool can be used as a weapon, but the most powerful weapons were written."

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              MrExel17
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Feb 2011
                              • 9170

                              Seat #15 for the win!
                              "Professionals practice to get it right, Operators practise to get it wrong."

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Jimi Jah
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jan 2014
                                • 19244

                                That's because Forrest Gump doesn't like guns, like most of his co-workers in Hollywood.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1