Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Floaters in my vision affecting my shooting

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Epaphroditus
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 4888

    Originally posted by kielbasavw
    I even notice them when I close my eyes... just cant get away from em.
    This is not floaters but a neurological or serious ophthalmological condition. Get thee to a doctor immediately!
    CA firearms laws timeline BLM land maps

    Comment

    • #17
      drdanno84
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      CGN Contributor
      • Dec 2005
      • 1418

      vitreous floaters

      There's a jelly-like substance called the "vitreous" that is between the lens and retina of the eye. As we age, the vitreous dissolves and protein strands form and move around, light hits them and causes shadows on the retina. The vitreous is attached to the retina in a few places and eventually separates and can cause "flashes of light", this is know as a PVD (posterior vitreous detachment). PVD'S are common in older folks, 75% have them after age 50.
      No treatment is needed unless the PVD tugs on the retina causing a break, or tear, which requires surgical repair and can be sight threatening.
      I dilate all of my patients over 40 yrs old, use a scanning instrument that checks for breaks, tears, or leaks in the retina, very few require treatment for floaters, just monitor them and see them annually. An increase in floaters and flashes of lights in any quadrant of the vision is considered an ocular emergency and cause for concern.

      Comment

      • #18
        TKM
        Onward through the fog!
        CGN Contributor
        • Jul 2002
        • 10657

        I've killed a lot of bugs that weren't really there.

        Getting old takes longer than I thought.
        It's not PTSD, it's nostalgia.

        Comment

        • #19
          e-clip
          Junior Member
          • Jun 2013
          • 79

          I rarely experience them but when I do I switch to 12GA double barrel......problem solved!

          Comment

          • #20
            1911R SSS
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2013
            • 862

            I have them also I really noticed them when I'm looking up into the sky when I'm duck hunting.

            Comment

            • #21
              JLM Ranger
              Member
              • Feb 2013
              • 277

              I've had them for a while. Sad to say some of us are just getting older. I compare them to the wiggles I get when I shoot my rifles standing...I just need to time the wiggle right.

              Comment

              • #22
                Fizz
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2012
                • 1473

                I'm 24 and have had them forever, but more recently they start to bug me more. My floaters are all dots (no strings/rings, etc.)

                I've heard the only treatment is replacing the fluid in the eye and zapping them with a special lens/laser.

                Comment

                • #23
                  madsend81
                  Senior Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • 925

                  I've had them for as long as I can remember and I'm 32. Most of the time, though, I don't notice them. Well, at least until I read a thread about eye floaters, then they all start to appear in my vision.Usually I can ignore them and they don't affect me much when I'm shooting. My astigmatism affects me more!
                  Disclaimer: For all you know, I am just some dude on the internet. The advice I give is worth what you have paid for it!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    LittleOldLady
                    Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • 236

                    Or torn retina's which are really bad too....
                    Better go to an eye specialist.

                    I can pretty much forget iron sights at this point.

                    Almost lost my vision totally!
                    "But if someone has a gun and is trying to kill you ... it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

                    Dalai Lama

                    A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie.

                    Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      crackerman
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2009
                      • 2441

                      I've been making opthalmic drugs for 13 years and if you are worried book a visit to the eyedoc. Its not usually that big of a deal (infact you guys talking about it keeps making me notice the one in my right eye and I have had it for years.

                      Vitreal replacement is a gnarly surgery to watch and probably even more to do (the ophthamalogists we have talked to said its like takng wet toilet paper off the bottom of a shoe but you want to save the toilet paper).

                      Mine is persistent enough to merit me a disabled muzzleloader permit from DFW (I hate to call it disabled, but that is their term, cheapens it for others) sicen peep sights are damn near impossible for me to use.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        johnthomas
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 7001

                        Originally posted by LittleOldLady
                        Or torn retina's which are really bad too....
                        Better go to an eye specialist.

                        I can pretty much forget iron sights at this point.

                        Almost lost my vision totally!
                        I fell from 6 feet a couple of years ago, after I healed from the concussion one night I noticed a flash to the left, it was weird, it kept up for 2 days, come to find out, I tore something when my head hit the ground. The doc told me to take it easy and it might go away, it did. I have floaters once in a while, the trick is, when at the range, don't try to shoot them, lol.
                        I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          harmoniums
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2008
                          • 3488

                          heres a mockup of this page and how it looks to me to give you and idea of my floaters.
                          They are a bit more transparent, but the density and size is right

                          (btw I'm +/- a year or two of 40 years old)


                          floaters by harmoniums, on Flickr
                          WTB Irish firearms:
                          old SxS shotguns, Enfields (Irish contract or FF marked), RIC marked carbines or revolvers, odd ball flintlocks.

                          VZ58 PARTS F/S - I've got everything except magazine parts
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            imtheomegaman
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 1354

                            Dude I was going to say, you are a bit young to be getting floaters. Go see a ophthalmologist pronto

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              CessnaDriver
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 10906



                              "Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                ElvenSoul
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Apr 2008
                                • 17431

                                It is 2014 where in da hell are my Zeiss Ikon Eyes with Smart Gun Link?
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1