Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Lassen Gunsmithing School (Updated with Required Guns/Tools List)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cracktheskye
    Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 435

    Lassen Gunsmithing School (Updated with Required Guns/Tools List)

    Just found out the other day that I'm one of the first 22 on the list for Lassen, so I'm seeing who else is either on the list and is planning on starting in August, or who is already attending. For those on the list, congratulations and make sure you have all your sh*t together by the deadline. For those already in the program, what do we need to know, what can we expect? Drop some knowledge on us! Thanks.
    Last edited by cracktheskye; 11-05-2013, 9:45 AM.
    Proud undocumented illegal American living in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.
  • #2
    sharxbyte
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2010
    • 2448

    A Gunsmithing school in CA? Nice!
    My AR is 7.62x39, so that if/when we get invaded, I can shoot their ammo back at them!
    sigpic

    Originally posted by Falstaff
    Where is this ammo "Black market" he speaks of? Do they have .223 in stock?
    My Home-Made Recurve Bow Thread


    Own An 80%? CLICK HERE!


    Kevin de Leon, on minority women and profiling.

    Comment

    • #3
      taloft
      Well used Member
      CGN Contributor
      • Sep 2002
      • 2696

      Actually it is a really good gun smithing program. I've done business with several people who learned their trade from Lassen College and they have done excellent work on guns I own. Of course, like any school the student determines the value of the education taught. You get out of it what you put into it.
      .




      "Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato

      Comment

      • #4
        sfbay
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor
        • Sep 2011
        • 1646

        my co--worker goes every year for at least one class..

        he loves it and i am always jelous...

        if only i could bring the kids... lol
        You get what you get and you don't get upset !

        Comment

        • #5
          CRTguns
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • 2627

          keep this in mind and your education there will be very worthwhile...

          You do not leave that school "a gunsmith"... there's always more to learn. Its great knowledge and experience, but it's not an entitlement. The guys that go every summer for any sort of class have the right idea. Keep going back.

          If you were to apply for a smithing job and said "I went to lassen"... big deal.

          If you tell that same future boss that you have attended various courses and are regularly continuing your education at lassen...that's makes the difference.

          Comment

          • #6
            CaliforniaLiberal
            #1 Bull Goose Loony
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jan 2008
            • 4690

            Originally posted by cracktheskye
            Just found out the other day that I'm one of the first 22 on the list for Lassen, so I'm seeing who else is either on the list and is planning on starting in August, or who is already attending. For those on the list, congratulations and make sure you have all your sh*t together by the deadline. For those already in the program, what do we need to know, what can we expect? Drop some knowledge on us! Thanks.

            Congratulations!

            Is it competitive to get into the program?

            Can you give us some idea of what you've done to get this far?

            We'd all enjoy reading some updates as you make your way through the program. I know it starts next Fall, but keep us in mind.

            Keep up the good work!
            Better Way to Search CalGuns - https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...78:pzxbzjzh1zk
            CA Bill Search - https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov
            California Rifle and Pistol Association - http://crpa.org/
            Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - Search 'Concealed Weapons Permit Information Sacramento'
            Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
            Animated US Map Showing Progress of Concealed Carry Laws 1986 to 2021 http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php

            Comment

            • #7
              Sam
              Calguns Addict
              CGN Contributor
              • Jul 2008
              • 5205

              My brother got in too. That's one heck of a required materials list you guys have! Good luck!

              Comment

              • #8
                socom2shooter
                Senior Member
                • Jul 2013
                • 615

                Didnt make it to the list this year but i have been to a bunch of there summer programs, that place is great.

                Comment

                • #9
                  cracktheskye
                  Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 435

                  Originally posted by CRTguns
                  keep this in mind and your education there will be very worthwhile...

                  You do not leave that school "a gunsmith"... there's always more to learn. Its great knowledge and experience, but it's not an entitlement. The guys that go every summer for any sort of class have the right idea. Keep going back.

                  If you were to apply for a smithing job and said "I went to lassen"... big deal.

                  If you tell that same future boss that you have attended various courses and are regularly continuing your education at lassen...that's makes the difference.
                  Point well taken, sir. I'm going with the full intention of getting further into "the craft" after I finish the two year program-- that is to say that if I can find a smith willing to let me hang around and further my knowledge and make me better in that capacity, I couldn't ask for more. I've built some guns from scratch (not AR15s) and have customized a couple, but I'm going to learn a trade, not share what I know. I'm well an adult at this point and am going with absolutely no pretense whatsoever.
                  Proud undocumented illegal American living in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    cracktheskye
                    Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 435

                    Originally posted by CaliforniaLiberal
                    Congratulations!

                    Is it competitive to get into the program?

                    Can you give us some idea of what you've done to get this far?

                    We'd all enjoy reading some updates as you make your way through the program. I know it starts next Fall, but keep us in mind.

                    Keep up the good work!
                    They accept 22 students a year, and this was the first year that they accepted applications online-- they received just short of 100 applications in the first hour, a handful of which were multiple submissions from what I understand. I spoke with an instructor at the Big Reno Show earlier this year, and he told me that because they only accept 22 students a year on a first come first served basis, last year they had dudes lining up for several days prior to registration (for 2013 program) like a Black Friday sale.

                    So up to this point the only thing I have had to do was be quick on the draw with submitting my application. They sent me back an email with PDFs for all the forms I need to sign and turn in, including a COE that gets sent to Dept of Justice. So between now and next August, there is a mandatory orientation and I have to start coming up with a pretty intimidating list of tools and guns that will be used for the full time 2 year program. I'll post the list shortly.
                    Proud undocumented illegal American living in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      TacticalPlinker
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • 2532

                      Look forward to seeing their list of requirements/tools.

                      I've looked at these guys several times. They are the only gunsmith school in California that I'm aware of. Two of our local gunsmiths in the county graduated from Lassens.

                      I'm hoping to attend a gunsmith school sometime next year when I move to Arizona.
                      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        curtru
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 1278

                        I wish I could take some of those classes but I just have to learn on my own

                        Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          ChrisC
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2013
                          • 2469

                          Congrats, my neighbor's kid is in that program right now. Wish they had that back when I was going to school.

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            cracktheskye
                            Member
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 435

                            FULL-TIME GUNSMITHING SCHOOL REQUIRED LIST:

                            GUNS REQUIRED FOR FIRST YEAR
                            Fall Semester:
                            -- Several guns of any type for Sight Insta llation, Recoil Pad and Sling Swivel Installation, Caustic Bluing, Parkerizing, Alternative Metal Finishing. Rifles and Shotguns are preferred.
                            -- One case hardened receiver, such as an inexpensive single shot shotgun, for Color Case Hardening. The receiver must be manufactured from mild steel for this process.

                            Spring Semester:
                            -- One Safety Breeched rifle, such as a Remington 700, Howa 1500 or old Savage 110 (Remington 700 Is preferred).
                            -- One Flat Breeched rifle, such as a Mauser '98, Post 1964 Wi~chester Model 70, or newer Savage (Mauser is required for 'Truing Exterior of Actions' class, will meet requirement for 'Breeching' as well, therefore the Mauser is preferred).
                            -- One Cone Breeched rifle, such as an Enfield P17, Springfield 03A3, Pre 1964 Winchester Model 70 or Model 70 Classic.
                            -- One semi-inletted Composite stock for any of the above actions.
                            -- One semi-inletted wood stock for any of the above actions.
                            -- Three barrels for installation on above actions, one as a blank and two pre-contoured.

                            GUNS REQUIRED FOR SECOND YEAR
                            Fall Semester:
                            -- A quality single action revolver with a steel frame, such as Colt SAA or clone (Uberti, Pietta, etc.), or Ruger.
                            -- A Smith and Wesson K,L, or N frame revolver.
                            -- Colt I, D, orE frame revolver such as a Python, Officer's Model, Cobra Agent, Detective Special, etc.
                            -- At least two blowback Autopistols, one rimfire (.22 cal) and one centerfire (.25, .32, .380, 9mm cal.)
                            -- One Colt 1911 .45 caliber Autopistol or clone, and one additional single action Autopistol such as Browning Hi-power, etc.
                            -- At least two of the following double action Autopistols: Smith and Wesson centerfire, Beretta 92 or clone (i.e. Taurus), CZ-75 or clone, any Sig Sauer, Glock, etc.
                            -- A Remington 870, and at least one additional pump action shotgun.
                            -- A Browning A-5 shotgun or clone (i.e. Remington 11, Savage 720, etc.), and one additional recoil operated shotgun such as a Remington 11-48, Franchi, etc.
                            -- A Remington 1100 or 11-87 and an additional gas operated shotgun such as a Winchester Super-X 1 or 2, Browning Gold Hunter, Winchester 1400, or Beretta Gas Auto.
                            -- One rifle with quality multiple sear trigger system, such as Anschutz, Walther, Diana, Feinwerkbau, or a Jewell trigger for your Remington 700

                            Spring Semester:
                            TOOL LIST
                            Students enrolled in the program are required to purchase their own personal hand tools, gun cleaning supplies, and consumables. The first list is of materials that the student should have with them when the fall semester commences, and will get them started with the first class. The second list is offered as materials that the student is expected to have as they progress through the program. It is suggested that the student make plans to purchase the materials from the second list as needed. Prior to each class the students will be informed of any special materials required for the following week to ensure that the students have the opportunity to have them ready for the class. There may be additional materials the student will want to purchase for their classes at their discretion.

                            FIRST LIST
                            -- Safety Glasses
                            -- Layout Fluid (i.e. Dykem)
                            -- Steel or carbide scribe
                            -- Steel Machinist Protractor
                            -- 5/16" square High Speed Steel (HSS) tool bits, 2 W' long
                            -- 60" Center Gauge
                            -- #3 Center drill
                            -- Quality 6" dial calipers
                            -- 6" steel rule
                            -- 8-10" Mill files (1 ea. of the following)
                            -Bastard
                            -Second cut
                            -Smooth
                            -- Hacksaw with quality blades, 24-32 Teeth per inch
                            -- 4 oz. ball-pein hammer
                            -- Assorted flat blade screwdrivers (fixed blade, not magnetic tip style)
                            -- 10" adjustable wrench (crescent, etc.)
                            -- Allen wrenches, standard and metric
                            -- A tool box to secure your personal belongings- must be bench top, not roll-away type
                            -- 2 padlocks for securing bench and locker spaces
                            -- Note taking materials, i.e. notebooks, paper, pens, etc.
                            -- Optional: Shop coat or apron
                            -- Students are required to provide the following steel for Machine Shop classes, it can be purchased from any steel supplier or can be purchased from a local supplier that will deliver directly to the gunshop once the semester begins.
                            Cold Rolled Round Stock, 3 foot lengths ea.- 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4" diameters
                            Cold Rolled Round Stock, 10 foot length- 1-1/4"diameter
                            Flat Bar Stock, 24 inch length- 1" x2", 3 foot lengths ea.- 1/2"x2", 3/4"x1-1/2"
                            Aluminum round bar, 5 inch length- 1-1/2"diameter
                            Aluminum bar stock, 7 inch length- 1-1/4"X3"

                            SECOND LIST
                            Proud undocumented illegal American living in the People's Republic of Kalifornia.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              TacticalPlinker
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • 2532

                              Wow. You quite literally have to provide everything, even the firearms and the materials (steel)... That is a very very expensive investment.
                              ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1